The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

jrhwdw

Castle looks AWESOME!! Anyone know when the Diamonds on the Castle will light up at night? Looked ahead on DL's online Calendar. Looks like Soundsational moves/stays to 4PM during the week starting April 13th. Any reason Soundsational is not going back to 7PM before the 60th?

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
It's coming together! Based on the concept art, it looks like the diamond toppers are not topped out yet. It looks like each will receive a pointy gem placed on top.

asdnmd654321Large.jpg

Last edited:

gsrjedi

Looking through that catalog I need that R2 figure. The decade posters are really cool (at least the early ones)

I need to see the castle in person first. It's looking good in some pictures, & not so good in others.

George Lucas on a Bench

Wow, I really dig a lot of those prints, especially the Fantasyland dark ride ones. I even like that simple blue Disneyland Park 60 shirt. By the way, I picked up this beauty at the Wonderground Gallery last weekend:

291i5as.jpg

The Castle looks gaudy, but I was expecting that.

dweezil78

Ick... I think it's just one of those cases where it's impossible to pull off the vision from the concept art in a way that doesn't come across as cheap/tacky. I mean, it's no birthday cake castle... not by a long shot. But the 50th makeover (despite any of it's debatable flaws) was far classier than this makeover so far with it's seemingly stapled on glimmery sandpaper shingle sheets, duct tape, and plastic toppers.

All that said... it's not May yet, so giving them the benefit of the doubt that there's still more work to do to tie it all together.

Skippy

Disneyland website has Haunted Mansion open on the ninth, so it looks like a five day closure 5/3-5/8.

Speaking of refurbishments when did Peter Pan's Flight get extended? Or were the dates I read earlier this month just a guess. It's still closed through the ninth, and I've seen some sites report it will be closed through the 20th.

Mickey_777

Besides what's over the tunnel, the bunting (drapery?) on the castle looks terrible IMO. But I'm a less is more kinda guy. They may get the rest of the decor to "work" but all that fabric on a castle is just gaudy to me.

Nland316

I actually feel that the diamond tips complement the turrents and make them feel complete. Just get rid of the center duct tape web and I'll be one happy camper!

George Lucas on a Bench

I don't know. I think it's gaudy. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it either. Basically, they've clearly ruined it, but it's still the Castle. So it's kind of like the Star Wars Special Editions. My opinion is that the Castle looked pretty awesome immediately after they removed the tarp. This was the THX Digitally Mastered version. The colors weren't old school, but they were closer and the junk from the 50th overlay was removed (to my knowledge). But now, it's the kind of the thing where as they keep adding more and more crap to it, it's just getting worse and worse. I don't think it looks good in person, but it doesn't make me want to punch someone in the face. I'd settle for a bunch of people being fired, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom