The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Eric1955

I have lived in my home for over 30 years now. It came with that orange carpet and matching satin drapes! :oops: What became my DS room and Navy and Aqua pile carpet too. My DD room had the same orange as the living room. We had the house for 6 weeks before we could undo all that and more. The only thing we couldn't pull off was one of the bathrooms off a hallway, it was just too expensive. It had this sick-o green tile and some strange tile on the the floor in a real weird shape and of course those lovely sliding doors that rested on the the side of the bathtub. Ugh.
I was so happy the day my DH took a sledge hammer to that bathroom down to the studs, the last of the 70's decor.

As we peeled layers of 70's stuff in many areas was amazing finds in our old home. Under those rugs and in our kitchen was beautiful hardwood floors that just needed to be resealed. Actually a couple of decades of being under wall to wall carpeting likely saved those hardwood floors. :happy:

Have a look at this 70's bathroom. Carpet in the bathroom is a bit much even for me. I mean what do you do when the commode overflows? :hungover:
10350635_500596153375593_9055975771033902574_n.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
One more week of classes, and then mid semester break. I call it "mid semester break" and not "spring break" because "spring" does not appear to be coming anytime soon.:grumpy:

Today: Had an assignment due at 5. Note: I do not have Friday classes.

Tomorrow: two assignments due (the beauty of technology: professors can make things due on a Saturday! :banghead:)

So my Monday: first I have ice skating. Then I have a midterm. Then I have a presentation. In the same class that I have two assignments due for tomorrow.

Tuesday: who knows, have not heard a word from Spanish professor. My guess is she will change the schedule due to the snow. My other "real" class (the one that is not chorus)...who knows.

And then on Wednesday, I have another assignment, for the same class that I have two assignments due tomorrow! Yippee!

You see, we earn our breaks. It's almost like we get punished for having them the week before. Maybe they should just get rid of the break and make fewer assignments due all at once. And then get out a week earlier in May.

Some students would probably want to shoot me for saying that, but anyway...

Oy. And this is why my DD hasn't started her Masters yet. Likely in the Spring. She still isn't over all that. :cautious: She still found high school worse. Those AP teachers were wicked with their workloads.

Gabe1

So my lawn ornament is now on a tow truck. Thankfully, our trash bag job covering the window held up. Repair shop said they've got a new battery and most likely a new ignition. Tow truck driver said that the original guy who tried to get my car started yanked the key out of the ignition and broke it, which is what I suspected he had done.:banghead: What happened was the key got stuck in the ignition, which isn't unusual when you have a dead battery (and when I was sitting there, I read that online, so I wasn't worried about it). But then what happened was that when the guy got it to start, when he pulled the key out, it still didn't have enough juice to go into the off position, so instead of saying to me, "Hey, you have another problem here," he yanked the key out and broke the ignition. I saw him yank it out too. What a moron.

So if they have the ignition in the shop, I'll have it back by tomorrow or Sunday (gives them time to get the interior repaired). If they don't have the ignition, it'll be more like Monday or Tuesday, and I'll have one of the other cars those days.

So if this happens on campus again, I'm not bother with AAA, even if they do offer us a free membership. I'll go to campus security and let them help me. At least I know they won't do anything to damage my car. :banghead:

This isn't setting the right Karma for you to bond with the new to you car. :grumpy: Sorry. {{{HUGS}}}

Gabe1

Yep, same here, and I still do from time to time. Just smeared on white bread with nothing else. I can also eat it with a spoon straight outta' the can. Redneck pate, I call it. ;) :)

Ewe. I can't even look at that stuff. And since I didn't see @MOXOMUMD post, I know I skipped some pages somewhere. This Ketch-up game is hard.

Gabe1

Over the past few days, I've realized that what I've eaten has been very unexciting.

Struggling with the car...went in and got a pizza.

Last night for dinner...French Bread pizza (Stouffer's, only brand of frozen pizza I'll eat.)

Today, Mom calls and says she's bringing home lunch, what do I want? Mushroom pizza.:rolleyes:

I'm in college; I can get away with all of this.

nom nom nom love mushrooms on pizza

Gabe1

I posted about my family background earlier, and it's the same, except German, on DWifeys moms side. Her pop is of English/Welsh background and they came over back in the 1600's.
Fought through the Revolutionary War, The War of 1812, etc. DWifey even has a relative that died at the seige/battle of the Alamo. Robert Campbell. This is a shot of his name on the memorial.

View attachment 85756

That is sad but what an amazing memorial.

StarWarsGirl

Oy. And this is why my DD hasn't started her Masters yet. Likely in the Spring. She still isn't over all that. :cautious: She still found high school worse. Those AP teachers were wicked with their workloads.
Sometimes I think about starting my master's...and then I wonder if I've gone crazy.

AP teachers could be the worst. AP Spanish and World History were definitely the worst. I think my AP Spanish teacher from Spanish 6 traumatized me from Spanish, because I'm always expecting a pop quiz or something really hard in 300-level Spanish...and then it never comes. Still a lot of work. But then the other day, I went on my old old laptop (the one that didn't have a failed hard drive) and tracked down a list of writing phrases from Spanish 6 to help me write a paper...so I guess I owe that teacher. Also since I did get a 4 on the AP. And since I could skip to Spanish Comp 2 and skip Spanish Comp 1 thanks to the AP score.

And then there was AP World History. Note: high school sophomores should never take AP World History. They need to start out with another AP class because that class is ridiculous. That teacher was a work-load monster. We had so much work in that class. The history/science class I took last semester was not that much work. Interestingly, both she and Spanish teacher are AP graders, so I guess they put that much more pressure on us to succeed (even though it did give us an advantage on the test having teachers with that knowledge.) I, thankfully, got a 4 on that exam, even though my father was convinced I would get a 2 or 3 on it after getting a C one quarter in the class. :rolleyes:

AP English was the exception. My Junior year, I had an English teacher who assigned a lot of work (though not as much as World HIstory), gave us a lot of AP practice, and made us work very hard. That was the only exam I did not get a 4 or 5 on. My senior year, the teacher barely made us work, barely gave us any practice, I mean, we barely did anything. What did I get on the AP Literature exam that year? A four.:banghead: I credit my sophomore year English teacher (who was also my Journalism teacher and wrote all of my letters of recommendation) for that because I learned nothing in Senior year English.

The AP class that I liked the most, and perhaps benefited the most from, was AP Economics. That prepared me most for what I would see in business classes. In accounting last semester, there was something he was showing us, and I though, "Oh, this is a repeat from Econ" and had the problem done within three minutes...then spent the next 10 minutes explaining it. The teacher, honestly, wasn't that good, but thankfully, a second teacher taught that class, and I went to his review sessions. I studied hard, read the book, practiced the graphs, and worked my behind off. I got a 4 on Macro and a 5 on Micro. As I was sitting there taking the micro exam, I kept thinking, "Um, this is too easy; I better get a 5 on this." Fortunately, I did.:D

I must say, all of those AP classes did prepare me for college. The 15 credits I got from them didn't hurt either. I just think it's important to not take too many of them and burn yourself out. I think I probably benefited more from taking fewer AP classes and not burning out as much than my classmates who took AP this and AP that and just did nothing but study all of the time.

But no, I don't miss high school. Not one bit. Much as I sometimes curse out college, I don't miss high school at all.

Gabe1

See below....

They also come in Dark Chocolate, which, of course, makes the Milk Chocolate ones useless!

A lot of us are! :happy:

Pick some up for me while your there OK. Dark Chocolate though!

Certainly Sir. There is a Traders due to open in route to my Mom's house this month. I will look for you!

Gabe1

From Urban Dictionary:
Thights: A pair of tights cut so they only reach your thigh; like leggings.

ETA: I assume that means "reach your thigh" from the waist down rather than from foot up cuz then they would just be socks.
ETA2: But then, from waist down would just be shorts.

I'm confused. :banghead:

But really do you want to understand?

StarWarsGirl

This isn't setting the right Karma for you to bond with the new to you car. :grumpy: Sorry. {{{HUGS}}}
I'm not set to bond with this car. Ever, it seems. Seriously, I think my mom was more upset over the damage to that car than I was. I was just irritated. I've been in a really bad mood ever since.

It was the car I had the accident in when I was 17. Six months after getting my license. And now this, a week after getting it. I don't think we'll ever bond the way I bonded with my first car. At least it will get a brand new battery. And it will get run through the car wash, which it was filthy from road salt and snow. I'm still mad that the guy broke my ignition.:banghead:

I really miss my old car. It was the first car I ever rode in the front seat of, ever drove, had to love and take care of...darn I miss that car. It was such fun to drive the Jackrabbit. I miss it.:(

Gabe1

I feel sorry for me. I'm just 600 miles away and it has been in the 20's all day. That is not right, that is not right at all. I feel the need to complain to the Chamber of Commerce. This is not what they implied while promoting the State.

I am rejoicing the 40's promised for the weekend. How sad is that? We have been under a blanket of snow since New Years and none has melted. The ice storm this week left a hard glaze on all the snow and sidewalks since Tuesday.
I want to see tulips.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Uh-Oh! I missed something........:confused:

Someone link me back please 'cause I think I missed a good one.
Just the usual @JenniferS / @Goofyernmost silliness.

Too bad...next month the price goes up cuz the air will be warmer, more humid and the FREE Mosquitoes! will be twice as large.
BTW, if you're a little short this month, how tall will you be next month?

About the same... I'm retired.. no growth in anything at all.

Not ... going ... there. Must resist!

I kind of anticipated that your mind would head directly into the gutter, eh! ;)

You set 'em. I knock 'em down.
That's how I roll. :hilarious: ( ... on the floor laughing.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom