Trip Report "MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation" - Magic for a Purple Heart Vet & His Family

"MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation."

Let me set the stage before the Day One trip report, regarding this very special family and some extra magic that a few former college roommates, WDW staff, a Sea World staff member, several strangers, and myself came together to make happen...

My former college roommate married an Army helicopter pilot, and they have 2 twin girls (6) and a son (8). They've lived everywhere from North Pole Alaska to Hawaii.

Andy, (her husband) trained others to fly. A little over 2 1/2 years ago Andy was training a member of the Afghan army.

Upon landing, the helicopter exploded (an IED had been planted nearby). Andy's full story of the encounter can be found here.

Andy endured over a dozen surgeries and months in the hospital. He was awarded the Purple Heart.

Andy just retired and to celebrate they booked a WDW vacation.

I found out about their trip a month ago and went to a group on facebook to inquire how I could surprise Andy and have him participate in the MK Flag retreat.

Out of the woodwork several strangers and one former WDW employee (now high-up at Sea World and a vet himself, "Paul"), made magic happen beyond anything I could ever dream.

Update 3/2: Since this post dozens of CM's, many from DCP have reached out as well.

DAY ONE:

They checked in to Art of Animation late this afternoon (5pm).

Using his old WDW contacts, Paul arranged for "room magic" where the room featured extra special decorations.

Myself and Lori's other former college roommates as well as 2 strangers from the group (Dee and Vonni, now friends), donated $ to have a giant patriotic Mickey/Minnie themed gift basket that was provided at-cost with free delivery from Pixie-Dust Delivery Service. (The delivery service is owned by Vonni's friend).

In addition, Paul from Sea World had a special welcome package with free tickets to sea World for their last day - all expense paid, meals and all. (He also has other surprises scheduled for them on the 6th, which I'll report when it happens.)

Paul also raised $500 via crowd funding that went onto a gift card to use anywhere on their trip. This was also in the room upon arrival.

I told Lori to let me know once they check in - she knows I was up to something but I just tell her it's all Mickey and his friends including Shamu.

Tonight she messaged me they are overwhelmed with how much stuff was in the room - and the gift card that Paul raised had them speechless.

They are now unpacking and grabbing dinner so that's all for day one unless a surprise happens that we don't know about.

- End of Day One -

Backstory and acknowledgements:

A couple weeks ago I messaged Paul their itinerary with all reserved meals and meet and greets. He forward this on to his WDW contacts and they are lined up the magic - THE MAGIC IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN! :)

I also want to recognize @akayw0718 she has CM friends at WDW entertainment and was kind enough to forward the family's pictures and names along with itinerary info I gave her for a little extra special attention and we're hoping some of the face characters will recognize them by name should they cross paths.

Paul has said there's more magic I don't even know about and that Lori needs to have her camera at-the-ready at all times.

I CANNOT WAIT to see what magic is in store for this very special family.

I love to pull a good harmless prank on friends but this is better beyond any explanation.

Paul, and everyone who's helped to make the Miller's trip magical had me verklempt all week everytine I recieved a message about what is in store for the family.

We've dubbed this whole thing,
"MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation."

If you are in the parks this week and see the Miller's don't hesitate to say hi and thank Andy (and Lori - she is former Army National Guard). I've attached a pic of the family below.

Stay tuned for more "mission debriefings" thoughout the week!

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

mrdrift

It's great to hear that everyone is having a MAGICAL time at the parks and all the cast members that were able to contribute to their trip. Sea World is such a fantastic park to visit for all the different marine life. Following along with wonderful journey

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Well, as I write this they are back on the road for a 6-hour drive home so they can get back in time for a Boy Scout dinner tonight.

Lori and I plan to talk in the next few days at length about their trip. I can't wait to tell her how one simple question posted on a facebook group snowballed into a week of magical surprises, and how so many strangers opened their hearts to make magic for them!

One of the best things out of this whole experience is that some new friendships have been made. I know the Millers and Paul have planned to remain in-contact as Andy and him hit it off since they are both Army bro's and share a love for Van Halen. Next time I'm in Florida (a year or two) I hope to catch up with a couple folks - for sure Paul and his wife (and hopefully you too @akayw0718 !) I would love to thank them by meeting up for dinner or having them over to "the house" for a cookout (the house we always rent).

If I get anymore pics or stories from her I will post them here, but in the meantime, thank you for following along in the magic and the adventure and posting your thanks to Andy and well-wishes - which I will be sharing with them.

What a fun and magical week it's been - they truly had the time of their lives!

Last edited:

mrdrift

Thank you for sharing this Magical trip with all of us. We should always thank the brave men and women that serve our country, pass that on to Andy my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for protecting all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
So glad this went so well for them!! And I'd love to meet up in FL sometime!

Hoping to be back in Florida in a year or two. My sister and her husband will be starting the process of adopting a baby and when the baby is a little older we all want to go to WDW to celebrate his/her first visit. :)

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Hope to add more after Lori and I chat in a day or two.

I have a sick kiddo at home with stomach flu (we've been to the ER twice with her this week), and I have bronchitis and haven't been able to talk much... So my chat with Lori is on hold until I stop breathing like Darth Vader. :)

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Feelin' better and now that everyone is done being sick at our house, I was able to catch up witb Lori today! :)

She is still in a bit of a whirlwind just getting back from their trip and adjusting the kids back into a regular routine.

She said they went in with the attitude that they wouldn't see everything and that would be ok (gives them a reason to go back someday). She did say the extra FP's had them seeing more than they expected!

Since it was their first trip she wasn't sure what were the surprises and what was normal! Lol!

She said the best part of their trip was watching her kids with the character interactions, especially:

- Goofy @ EPCOT ( the kids #1 favorite)
- Minnie (w/their daughter Katherine) at Tusker House
- Anna & Elsa at MK (w/Katherine & Fiona)

She said one of the best parts was meeting Paul who worked so hard to pull magic together and he and Andy had some quiet time to walk and trade military stories.

This week the kids made pictures for Paul to thank him and Andy sent a coin (military trade coins) as a thank you.

She said they are still recooperating from their adventure and she has 1200 photos to go through between Photopass and their own pics.

She said it was truly a trip of a lifetime!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom