The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

My family was all here before 1900. My great grandmother's (maternal grandmother's mother) family originally came to Maryland in the 1600s. They were plantation owners. My dad's side of the family was here By the time of the Revolution, though I don't know specifically which of the colonies they came to.

My dad's aunts used to insist that they were English and only English, not German. Which is funny because although the family came from England, they were German. Then later the English got mixed in. They just anglacized their last name.

So combined I am English, Scottish, Dutch, Irish, German, Native American, French, and Eastern Jewish.

Or, I'm American.

I posted about my family background earlier, and it's the same, except German, on DWifeys moms side. Her pop is of English/Welsh background and they came over back in the 1600's.
Fought through the Revolutionary War, The War of 1812, etc. DWifey even has a relative that died at the seige/battle of the Alamo. Robert Campbell. This is a shot of his name on the memorial.

image.jpg

Goofyernmost

Have you ever had those orange flavored chocolate balls that you hit on a hard surface to break into wedges....forget what they're called.
See below....
It's called Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange Ball. It's fun to break them open. I think they're from England.
They also come in Dark Chocolate, which, of course, makes the Milk Chocolate ones useless!
It didnt seem something serious. He managed to land that vintage plane with no engine.
Still, they said he got banged up and some cuts.
for a old man he's strong as hell.
A lot of us are! :happy:
Hmpf. Never saw the Chocolate Orange stuff at Trader Joe's but we do not have one near....will get some of that for my Mom for Easter.
Pick some up for me while your there OK. Dark Chocolate though!

StarWarsGirl

Oh, and along with the car fiasco, my mother used up all of her cell phone minutes, and I used up about half of mine, which I had just added on Monday.

Mom is switching to the unlimited Talk and Text plan, which is only $5 more per month, and I'm switching over once I use up all of my minutes. Obviously we've become a bit attached to our cell phones.

TomP

then why the hell the dictionary of firefox suggests it?
I FEEL BETRAYED!
From Urban Dictionary:
Thights: A pair of tights cut so they only reach your thigh; like leggings.

ETA: I assume that means "reach your thigh" from the waist down rather than from foot up cuz then they would just be socks.
ETA2: But then, from waist down would just be shorts.

I'm confused. :banghead:

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

So, I haven't really mentioned it here, but, I've been battling some allergies over the last three weeks. I've never been afraid to go to the Dr., especially when it comes to monitoring my heart condition, blood pressure, blood sugar, weight, etc.. But, although I've had them plenty bad many times over the years, I've never had to go for allergies before. Finally had to relent last night and head to an after hours care place. The coughing was driving me (and, everyone around me) insane.
They gave me a breathing treatment (yep, the good ol' neb, which I've never had before). That helped a little, but, not as much as the attending had hoped. Next, chest x-ray. Bronchitis along with the potential beginnings of Pneumonia. So, I'm home for the rest of the week.
I HATE this! Before I left the office last night, I sent 3 PDF design solutions to the partner who's project I was working on. When I called out this morning and talked to him, he said they were all good and not to worry, it would give him time to analyze them further, and to get well.
Even so, I HATE this! I need to be producing. It's what I do.
Take it easy and get better.

TomP

Well, I'm up ridiculously early (3:30 a.m.) because I have a cold. I haven't had a cold in about 2 years, at least. Woke up coughing, so just decided to go get some coffee and hang out here for a while. Have to get a 6:30 bus this morning anyway, so I might as well just stay up.

Stopped by Walgreens on the way home last night, to get some cold medicine (one of the nurses at work recommended one that had Advil in it). Haven't bought cold medicine in years, so I go to the aisle with the cold remedies and I find these cards in a slot, for the med. I want. It says you have to take the card up to the pharmacy desk to buy it. Okaaay . . . that's really inconvenient. So I take the stupid card up to the counter and the woman hands me the cold medicine. Then she asks for a driver's license (to purchase cold medicine??) and then I had to sign an electronic keypad to indicate that I wasn't public enemy # 1. I told the pharmacist that I was never getting sick again, because none of this wasted effort was worth it!!! :eek:
You must have been buying a med with pseudoephedrine (sp?)in it. Lots of states are restricting its sale because it can be used to make meth.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
From Urban Dictionary:
Thights: A pair of tights cut so they only reach your thigh; like leggings.

ETA: I assume that means "reach your thigh" from the waist down rather than from foot up cuz then they would just be socks.
ETA2: But then, from waist down would just be shorts.

I'm confused. :banghead:
Can't really trust "Urban Dictionary". Just saying. :)

Cesar R M

Well, I'm up ridiculously early (3:30 a.m.) because I have a cold. I haven't had a cold in about 2 years, at least. Woke up coughing, so just decided to go get some coffee and hang out here for a while. Have to get a 6:30 bus this morning anyway, so I might as well just stay up.

Stopped by Walgreens on the way home last night, to get some cold medicine (one of the nurses at work recommended one that had Advil in it). Haven't bought cold medicine in years, so I go to the aisle with the cold remedies and I find these cards in a slot, for the med. I want. It says you have to take the card up to the pharmacy desk to buy it. Okaaay . . . that's really inconvenient. So I take the stupid card up to the counter and the woman hands me the cold medicine. Then she asks for a driver's license (to purchase cold medicine??) and then I had to sign an electronic keypad to indicate that I wasn't public enemy # 1. I told the pharmacist that I was never getting sick again, because none of this wasted effort was worth it!!! :eek:
dont tell me I now infected you? D:

Goofyernmost

We're having some crazy weather here. Yesterday, the a/c was on...today the heat is on. I'm feeling a little sorry for those at the parks, but at least they are THERE.
I feel sorry for me. I'm just 600 miles away and it has been in the 20's all day. That is not right, that is not right at all. I feel the need to complain to the Chamber of Commerce. This is not what they implied while promoting the State.

StarWarsGirl

I feel sorry for me. I'm just 600 miles away and it has been in the 20's all day. That is not right, that is not right at all. I feel the need to complain to the Chamber of Commerce. This is not what they implied while promoting the State.
We got about 10 inches of snow up here.

If you are missing the North, I could have some of it shipped down to you.:p

Eric1955

My last name is Czech. I'm mostly of Czech origin with a bit of German thrown in. My relatives came in through the port of Galveston, Texas. I'm 3rd generation American.
When I was a kid, my folks used to speak Czech around us when they didn't want us to know what they were talking about. They lost that over the years. Then, they made contact with some relatives in Prague/Praha, Czech Republic several years back. They scheduled a trip there for a year later. They spent the entire year brushing back up on their Czech. When they finally went on the trip, the relatives were very surprised and impressed with their fluent command of the Czech language. My folks have been back twice, since that trip.
I know a few phrases here and there, but, nothing like my folks.
I really want to go see that beautiful city and be able to speak to those relatives in the language like my folks, someday. :)

All of my family on my Mom's side used to speak Cajun French. It ended with my Great-grandparents unfortunately. My Great-grandmoter mostly taught the grandkids all the bad words. :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom