Beluga death at Sea World

The Empress Lilly

Animal Welfare Institute marine mammal scientist Naomi Rose said whales suffer extreme stress when they are moved between aquariums, as their bodies react as though they have been stranded when they are taken out of water.

Rose, a long-time SeaWorld critic, said it’s unlikely a beluga would suffer a broken jaw in the wild, as the whale would have had the space to flee from an aggressor.

“It’s not a common injury and yet it happens in captivity because they just can’t get away from each other,” she said.

Tsk, tsk. Step it up, SEA. This when there is such an issue with orcas already. It is not just trainers who die when you mess up.​

The Empress Lilly

So apparently we can't have threads here that discuss SEA's future of large animal shows in the context of circuses publicly dropping those.

Everybody, everybody - Wall Street, SEA management, investors, theme park analysts - agree that this issue is the most pressing concern for SEA and lies at the heart of every decision they must make. Meanwhile at this SEA forum we can discuss everything, except that? Silly.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Latest news - animals, when living together... aren't always nice to each other.

In other news... scientists believe this type of dynamic doesn't happen in the wild - which apparently is this completely ideal place with zero risks, unlimited food, unlimited family, and no ecorisks at all.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So apparently we can't have threads here that discuss SEA's future of large animal shows in the context of circuses publicly dropping those.

Everybody, everybody - Wall Street, SEA management, investors, theme park analysts - agree that this issue is the most pressing concern for SEA and lies at the heart of every decision they must make. Meanwhile at this SEA forum we can discuss everything, except that? Silly.
It's truly and utterly ridiculous. All the other forums onWDWMagic contain debates with positives and negatives about the parks, etc. but 919Florida somehow manages to get any post or thread that says anything even slightly negative about Sea World deleted. It's truly unbelievable.

The Empress Lilly

It's truly and utterly ridiculous. All the other forums onWDWMagic contain debates with positives and negatives about the parks, etc. but 919Florida somehow manages to get any post or thread that says anything even slightly negative about Sea World deleted. It's truly unbelievable.
I can't point fingers. For the rest, yes, UNI and WDW face constant criticism and questioning on this board, over everything they do. Not least from me! Countless far more damning posts about both other resorts have and are being written. Why does SEA enjoy exempt status?

SEA documentaries have entire threads devoted to them when they are positive. While balanced, mainstream articles more critically analysing SEA's future are removed.

The Empress Lilly

Latest news - animals, when living together... aren't always nice to each other.
True, and least of all humanoid animals.

But when we kill large mammals in our care we get jailed when they die from abuse. Except apparently when there is a large economic interest, such as a theme park.

http://www.trentonian.com/general-n...ives-5-years-for-animal-cruelty-in-dogs-death
On Friday, the Princeton man who pleaded guilty to animal cruelty charges in a dog’s death was sentenced to five years in jail, according to Deputy First Assistant Prosecutor Doris Galuchie.
Kill a dog from neglect, and you get jailed. Kill a whale in your care, and...nothing.

(Although the vegetarian would add: why dogs and / or cetaceans, but not cows and pigs?)

919Florida

Its not when you work out he/she works at SeaWorld - Every single thread he/she has started concerns SeaWorld
I work at Disney!!!!! I post about SeaWorld because its my passion and I love the place and I am going to defend it tooth and nail against these people who make up lies. This is a trip planning forum. I post INFORMATION so people planning vacations know whats going on. There is nothing wrong that. i love it how when someone supports SeaWorld they automatically have to work there. THats absurd

CAPTAIN HOOK

This is a trip planning forum.
No its not - Its a forum primarily about Walt Disney (the company, its parks around the world, the man etc) but it also features other Florida theme parks (SeaWorld for example).
People who are going to any of the Florida theme parks do use the site to make enquiries about a forthcoming trip.
See the difference ?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Kill a dog from neglect, and you get jailed. Kill a whale in your care, and...nothing.

Well you just answered yourself... if you kill a dog from NEGLECT - yes, you will be in trouble. If your dog dies because it got an infection from a fight that happened under normal reasonable conditions.. you won't be in trouble.

Just because some people are vocal about how the animals are kept - that doesn't redefine reasonable conditions given the consensus of the scientific and regulatory communities.

919Florida

No its not - Its a forum primarily about Walt Disney (the company, its parks around the world, the man etc) but it also features other Florida theme parks (SeaWorld for example).
People who are going to any of the Florida theme parks do use the site to make enquiries about a forthcoming trip.
See the difference ?
No I don’t see the difference. I don’t see anything wrong with me posting all the latest SeaWorld happenings for people to PLAN THEIR TRIP! buddy has to put down my "millions of posts" however none of them are to cause any controversy. I post pass member offers, new experiences, pictures etc. And yet that makes you come along and say I work for SeaWorld without you even knowing who I am. What’s wrong with all my posts being about SeaWorld anyway? Absolutely nothing

So was the seaworld part of this site put here for debates or was it put here for people to ask questions about their trips and to help plan this vacation?

CAPTAIN HOOK

What’s wrong with all my posts being about SeaWorld anyway? Absolutely nothing
Did I say there was anything wrong - you're defending a comment or suggestion that hasn't even been made
So was the seaworld part of this site put here for debates or was it put here for people to ask questions about their trips and to help plan this vacation?
It was put here for both - therefore this isn't a trip planning forum, its here for everything

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I work at Disney!!!!! I post about SeaWorld because its my passion and I love the place and I am going to defend it tooth and nail against these people who make up lies. This is a trip planning forum. I post INFORMATION so people planning vacations know whats going on. There is nothing wrong that. i love it how when someone supports SeaWorld they automatically have to work there. THats absurd
It is not exclusively a trip planning forum. We discuss all related topics.

Mickey81

As far as the topic goes, this is very sad and unfortunate. Sea world needs to understand that they are under the microscope after the information that has been presented to the public through movies like The Cove and Blackfish. It doesn't matter if you agree with these statements or not, Sea World continues to do a poor job from a PR perspective as far as convincing anyone that they remotely care about animals half as much as profits. I work in a customer service industry, and after experiencing how poorly this place treats its guests, I have a hard time
believing they treat the animals very good.

CAPTAIN HOOK

as far as convincing anyone that they remotely care about animals half as much as profits.
Your post makes good reading but you almost overlooked one thing - they as a company are responsible to shareholders which means profit is paramount - however, without the animals within the park they are nothing. They need animals to attract visitors (most visitors don't go to SeaWorld to ride the rides, they're there for the shows), therefore the animals will be looked after second to none.
I have a hard time believing they treat the animals very good.
You'd better believe it, no animals = no shows = no visitors

Last edited:

Mickey81

Your post makes good reading but you almost overlooked one thing - they as a company are responsible to shareholders which means profit is paramount - however, without the animals within the park they are nothing. They need animals to attract visitors (most visitors don't go to SeaWorld to ride the rides, they're there for the shows), therefore the animals will be looked after second to none.

I 100% agree and understand that the bottom line is shareholders and profits. I guess what I'm saying is, in my opinion they need to sell themselves as caring about the animals first and foremost. They have come under an incredible amount of criticism. Which in just my opinion they have poorly handled, in order to increase profits and comfort shareholders they should diligently be trying to change their image. They have done little to change or address public perception of how many people are viewing them right now. While I love my pets, and animals in general I would not consider myself an animal rights activist by any degree. I will say from what I have seen and heard, along with my own person experiences at their park, I will not return until I see major changes. A lot of people that I know often ask advice my for visiting Disney/universal/sea world (for some strange reason people think we're obsessed), and the one of the three that I just completely do not recommend is Sea World. So the point is that yes, they are a for profit company and obviously we all know that's what it's all about. The issue is they are continually scrutinized by the media, and animal rights groups. This along with current customer service and park conditions tell me that they need to reinvent their image and perception immediately, whether you agree with the criticism or not. This is where I think they have failed miserably.

The Empress Lilly

Why yes, indeed SEA takes meticulous care of its show animals. They represent a considerable investment, so they receive the finest medical and nutritional care.

But that is not the same as caring for them, or striving for their well-being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom