Trip Report "MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation" - Magic for a Purple Heart Vet & His Family

"MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation."

Let me set the stage before the Day One trip report, regarding this very special family and some extra magic that a few former college roommates, WDW staff, a Sea World staff member, several strangers, and myself came together to make happen...

My former college roommate married an Army helicopter pilot, and they have 2 twin girls (6) and a son (8). They've lived everywhere from North Pole Alaska to Hawaii.

Andy, (her husband) trained others to fly. A little over 2 1/2 years ago Andy was training a member of the Afghan army.

Upon landing, the helicopter exploded (an IED had been planted nearby). Andy's full story of the encounter can be found here.

Andy endured over a dozen surgeries and months in the hospital. He was awarded the Purple Heart.

Andy just retired and to celebrate they booked a WDW vacation.

I found out about their trip a month ago and went to a group on facebook to inquire how I could surprise Andy and have him participate in the MK Flag retreat.

Out of the woodwork several strangers and one former WDW employee (now high-up at Sea World and a vet himself, "Paul"), made magic happen beyond anything I could ever dream.

Update 3/2: Since this post dozens of CM's, many from DCP have reached out as well.

DAY ONE:

They checked in to Art of Animation late this afternoon (5pm).

Using his old WDW contacts, Paul arranged for "room magic" where the room featured extra special decorations.

Myself and Lori's other former college roommates as well as 2 strangers from the group (Dee and Vonni, now friends), donated $ to have a giant patriotic Mickey/Minnie themed gift basket that was provided at-cost with free delivery from Pixie-Dust Delivery Service. (The delivery service is owned by Vonni's friend).

In addition, Paul from Sea World had a special welcome package with free tickets to sea World for their last day - all expense paid, meals and all. (He also has other surprises scheduled for them on the 6th, which I'll report when it happens.)

Paul also raised $500 via crowd funding that went onto a gift card to use anywhere on their trip. This was also in the room upon arrival.

I told Lori to let me know once they check in - she knows I was up to something but I just tell her it's all Mickey and his friends including Shamu.

Tonight she messaged me they are overwhelmed with how much stuff was in the room - and the gift card that Paul raised had them speechless.

They are now unpacking and grabbing dinner so that's all for day one unless a surprise happens that we don't know about.

- End of Day One -

Backstory and acknowledgements:

A couple weeks ago I messaged Paul their itinerary with all reserved meals and meet and greets. He forward this on to his WDW contacts and they are lined up the magic - THE MAGIC IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN! :)

I also want to recognize @akayw0718 she has CM friends at WDW entertainment and was kind enough to forward the family's pictures and names along with itinerary info I gave her for a little extra special attention and we're hoping some of the face characters will recognize them by name should they cross paths.

Paul has said there's more magic I don't even know about and that Lori needs to have her camera at-the-ready at all times.

I CANNOT WAIT to see what magic is in store for this very special family.

I love to pull a good harmless prank on friends but this is better beyond any explanation.

Paul, and everyone who's helped to make the Miller's trip magical had me verklempt all week everytine I recieved a message about what is in store for the family.

We've dubbed this whole thing,
"MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation."

If you are in the parks this week and see the Miller's don't hesitate to say hi and thank Andy (and Lori - she is former Army National Guard). I've attached a pic of the family below.

Stay tuned for more "mission debriefings" thoughout the week!

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

mrdrift

I love reading this report and all the magical experiences that everyone is receiving from the cast members. It's good to know that there are places were military folks are appreciated and shown the respect for what they have done for our country. Following along.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Ok, I'm posting what I have for now because I have an appointment in Illinois tonight with one of my students (I tutor ACT prep), and the roads will be bad - not sure what time I'll be home tonight....

MISSION POSSIBLE: Miller Family Magical Vacation - Day 3 (2nd park-day)

The day started great at DHS!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

They got there early so they could get the kids signed up for Jedi training. They got the kids in! That made for a packed schedule (they also are doing the Frozen show and Fantasmic).

When they arrived for lunch at Mama's they were surprised with some magic waiting for them at their table - a beautiful certificate signed by the staff thanking Andy for his service, and little toys for each of the kids! (Pics below) Andy was verklempt.

A DHS CM (Bradley) messaged me yesterday and said though he wasn't working Tuesday, he wanted to do some magic so he set them up with VIP seating for the Car Stunt Show. Wanting to get Jedi planned, Lori wasn't sure if they would have time.

Planets aligned again and they had time for the 1:20 show just after lunch! See pics). The little guy (Aaron) is princessed-out (from his twin sisters), so this was totally up his alley and he was in heaven. When the character from Cars came out the girls had big smiles on their faces as well. Aaron literally sat on the edge of his seat the entire time!

With FP's in hand they hit all the rides they could before lunch.

That's all I have for now. If I get more I will try to post later tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Sorry, nothing more from Lori from today. Maybe tomorrow? They had a super busy schedule today (Jedi, Car Stunt Show, Frozen Show, all the kid-friendly rides and ADR at Mama Melrose and Fantasmic).

Tomorrow is Magic Kingdom and they start at 1900 Park Faire early for the breakfast with Cinderella so I'm sure they hit the bed as soon as they got back tonight.​

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
UPDATE:

After some "radio silence" later yesterday, I recieved an update from Lori this morning... sone health issues gave a rough go last night.

Katherine (one of the twin girls) spiked a fever so after Fantasmic, Lori took her to urgent care in town and 3 1/2 hrs later they found out she had an ear infection.

Katherine & Lori slept in, Andy took Fiona & Aaron to explore around the hotel.

They had to cancel their 1900 Fare character breakfast, but she said it was worth it to get a little more sleep! The concierge was able to waive the cancellation fee for breakfast.

They're off to MK to try to make it to Mickey's show in Magic Kingdom and continue on with the day.

Pictures attached...

- Jedi Training (yesterday)
- Katherine feeling on top of the world (this morning)
- Katherine: "I can see the castle Mommy!"

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
I don't have too much right now - I know they have the dessert party for Wishes tonight!

There was going to be a little extra magic at The Haunted Mansion but the CM was out sick today (get well soon Mandie!). They went on HM anyway... well, half of them went on. Little Katherine was too scared so she and Mom took the last chance exit.

She said so far today, their most magic moment was meeting Elsa and Anna - the girls were in complete awe. :)

If I get any more news/pics I will be sure to share! Thanks again for following their adventure!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
It's the last WDW resort in-park day for The Millers and tomorrow it's onto Sea World.

They will be at Animal Kingdom today, and then WDW tonight for the Wishes Dessert Party! (I was mistaken yesterday, I misread the intin and thought it was last night).

If you see them in the parks today say hi! If you're following their adventures, I'll be updating highlights to their day as I get them.

Here is what I have from Lori this morning:

Here's a pic of the girls ready for the day - totally dressed for AK!

image.jpg

They had a great breakfast at Tusker House and Fiona (dark haired twin) has fallen absolutely in-love with Minnie! :inlove:

Between Goofy at EPCOT on Monday, Anna & Elsa yesterday, and Minnie at Tusker today - these have been their top magical character moments thus far.

They are headed to AK Character Outpost today between 1:50-2:50 to hang with the characters one last time. I'm hoping the Photopass CM who reached out will be working there today for a little extra magic.

Stay tuned! :happy:

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
This just in:

One last hangout with the characters:

image.jpg
image.jpg

The photopass CM who reached out to me got moved to another spot today - he was going to make some magic happen (oh well, blame management - it's ok though). :)

They kids had a blast seeing animals and getting pictures taken with the big cheeses. They were able to off-set some Princessyness of the last couple of days for Aaron and he (as well as his sisters) loved Dinoland.

They are heading back for naps and heir WDW finale is tonight at MK's Wishes! Tomorrowland Dessert Party.

Onto SeaWorld tomorrow - I'm so excited that they will be personally hosted by Paul - he has been amazing using his WDW contacts and current contacts at Sea World to set most of the magic up. He's awesome.

Last edited:

cgersic

@akayw0718 :

She did say Goofy was "THE hit" out of everyone they met yesterday!
She didn't give me a ton of details, but said Goofy gave them extra special attention and he was hands down their favorite at EPCOT and very sweet and funny with the kids. :happy:

@akayw0718 - Thank you for passing on the info to your famous friends! I think when we last messaged it was before I found out you were applying with WDW in Florida - you had all that going on and you still took the time - it was SO sweet of you! Thank you! :cat::cat::cat:

Please forward/share "a thank you" with Goofy. Lori did say she was worried one of the girls would be scared but I guess that wasn't even a concern once they met him. It may seem like a small thing, but that was one of the "magic" things she referenced when I asked, "so what magic did you encounter today?!" Goofy, - you da man! (or dog?) - You rock! ;):inlove:

I wish I had more pics and specific stories to share but when we talked yesterday and I asked her what were their highlights from their first park-day she said, "It's amazing here - this place is great and overwhelming and I don't know where to start!" (It's their first time visit for all of them).

Yesterday I had a CM private message me yesterday who works Photopass at AK at the Outpost and he asked me if they plan to hit the Character Outpost... I checked their itinarary and the planets have aligned - he will be working thame a outpost that day, during their over their FP+ meet and greet time - so he'll be their photographer!! He was so excited! He's giving the characters' (Goofy, Pluto and I think Donald, Minnie and Mickey?) a heads-up on the Millers so when they arrive the characters are going to salute Andy. :)

This SO much fun! I now know what I want to be when "I grow-up!" ;)
I want to be a Fairy Godmother.
Is that a real thing???
When you said they are going to salute Andy, I started crying. What a beautiful thing you all have done.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
When you said they are going to salute Andy, I started crying. What a beautiful thing you all have done.

@cgersic - Unfortunately the salute fell through. The DCP CM on Photopass texted me that morning and he was switched to a different location, so it didn't happen - it's ok though - the family had a great day and continuing one last magical day at Sea World!

I was touched at what the staff did at Mama Melrose - I know it moved Andy. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom