New Ticket Security Measures Being Tested

Unplugged

We seem to be speeding down that track pretty rapidly
Have to agree on this. IMHO, I think we've passed the line Ben was referring to a long time ago. We've become complacent in accepting how things are to the point that people don't even know how little they have left. Here, we've been talking about photo requirements by Disney to use tickets they sell to get into their parks. All the while the same concerned folks are using smart phones and driving cars that all can track their location, behaviors, and ample personal info completely outside of their control.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So, WDW has your fingerprints (biometrically scanned) and photo. What could go wrong?
Boy, I was thinking the same thing. I never had an issue getting into the parks prior to MDE. Once the MB was launched my Bio fingerprint is always always rejected at the Magic Kingdom and only there. Oddly always using a CM guest past.

G00fyDad

For some, like myself, I dont feel violated or thats it a grave injustice to have my picture taken and linked with my account info. Its the possibility of what can be done with all the information if the wrong people get their hands on it.

If anybody thinks that Disneys system is 100% safe and couldnt be compromised, then they are more ignorant than the "irrational" people you speak of. And ya, I know, So many other businesses require you to give them the same information. That doesnt make it any more acceptable to me and I try hard to limit what I have to give a company. If they want my DL number, fine, but theyre not getting my social, or vice versa. Ive had plenty of times when signing up for a service and I refused to give them both and when they say "its required", I simply say thanks for your time, but I wont be needing your service if you require both,... and then, miraculously, they find a way to sign me up without using my social. It may require a deposit or something but thats better than knowing my info is in one more system that could potentially be hacked at any moment.

Wow. Do you actually believe that your information is secure just because Disney doesn't have your social security number? Disney isn't asking for your social. We aren't suggesting Disney ask for it. To go from "Disney should put guests photos on file" to "Disney isn't going to get my social security number" is a bit of a stretch. Where did you get ANYTHING from my comments about your social? I'm beginning to think that if you can make that huge jump in conclusions that you are one of those "problem people" that keep good ideas like putting photos on an account for identification purposes from coming to fruition. Do you own a driver's license or identification card? Guess what, it has your photo.

-em

the picture doesn't bother me any more than the metadata dis is gleaming from everyones magic band including children..

G00fyDad

Take my fingerprint, take my picture. It doesn't matter to me. I'm not worried about how Disney will use my fingerprint or photo. Do people really think they are going to enter some secret government facility to steal something and use our pictures as a disguise and put our fingerprints all over the place to frame us? Someone give me one example of how fingerprints and a photo can be used negatively by Disney.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Wow. Do you actually believe that your information is secure just because Disney doesn't have your social security number? Disney isn't asking for your social. We aren't suggesting Disney ask for it. To go from "Disney should put guests photos on file" to "Disney isn't going to get my social security number" is a bit of a stretch. Where did you get ANYTHING from my comments about your social? I'm beginning to think that if you can make that huge jump in conclusions that you are one of those "problem people" that keep good ideas like putting photos on an account for identification purposes from coming to fruition. Do you own a driver's license or identification card? Guess what, it has your photo.
I think you totally misunderstood me. Or you missed the very first line of my post that said I dont mind my picture being on it. I wasnt saying Disney asks for or wants my social either, I thought I worded it correctly to come across that way. That was in referrance to companies that do, such as Comcast. You said people feel its a grave violation or act irrational about giving out their information and I agree, some people are little tin foil hat-ish about it. I was simply saying that there are some people, like myself, who DONT feel violated or thats its an injustice and do not think there is a conspiracy to have everybody's info in some data base, but still prefer to not have to give all my info to a person on the phone to sign up for their service. Again, Im not talking about Disney. I wasnt sure if you were saying that ALL people who dont like giving out their info are crazy, because theyre not.

I had my bank account drained overnight a few years back. It was a nightmare dealing with the bank and the police. It came down to a person working at a coffee shop was taking credit card numbers out of the machine somehow. I bought a $1.89 cup of coffee and the next morning I had a negative balance. It was crazy. Im blessed to have an attorney in the family because he actually located the criminals within two days. Even the detective who was assigned my case was stunned when we called him with the info and a few days later he called to let us know we were right and they had caught them. So look, all I was saying that if a person is hesitant to give out there info, it may simply be because they have experienced something like what I went through and are just trying to be safe, it doesnt make them crazy or a loony.

And for what its worth, Im an AP holder and I think pictures on the card is a great idea. That actually would prevent anyone else from trying to use my pass and if I have trouble at park entrance they can just look at the picture. Im all for proper security measures. I think more simple things like a photo on the pass are a million times more effective and more quick than a CM with an Ipad having to be waved over and then look up all my info and ask me questions. Its funny how with all the technology poured into MM+ that they have reverted to an older, much more simpler technique.

Last edited:

NormC

the picture doesn't bother me any more than the metadata dis is gleaming from everyones magic band including children..
What are they getting from your children? Do you give them charging priveleges on their bands?

ToInfinityAndBeyond

What are they getting from your children? Do you give them charging priveleges on their bands?

I think people are just paranoid that their location is being tracked. I've also seen people complain that CMs can see the name tied to the band. Personally, I think it is the coolest thing to come out of this technology (i.e. a character can address you by name without you introducing yourself), but that's just me.

Identify theft is scary and in this day and age, the amount of information we share is scary, too.

NormC

I think people are just paranoid that their location is being tracked. I've also seen people complain that CMs can see the name tied to the band. Personally, I think it is the coolest thing to come out of this technology (i.e. a character can address you by name without you introducing yourself), but that's just me.

Identify theft is scary and in this day and age, the amount of information we share is scary, too.
Identity theft is scary but your identity is not stored in the bands.
Some people think it is real time tracking but it is not. It is more like connect the dots tracking between use points and an occasional scan as you pass certain zones. They do not have gps tracking and Disney is not monitoring individual movement. They are monitoring crowds. The only individualized tracking is your spending habits and attraction usage.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Some people think it is real time tracking but it is not. It is more like connect the dots tracking between use points and an occasional scan as you pass certain zones. They do not have gps tracking and Disney is not monitoring individual movement. They are monitoring crowds. The only individualized tracking is your spending habits and attraction usage.
I think that's what a lot of the 'tin foil hat" brigade seem to think. They are crazy scared that Disney is going to track just YOUR movements in the park. There are well over 100 points where the bands can ping your location at MK, and an average of 40,000 visitors per day. That translates to well over 4,000,000 entries in a database EVERY DAY! And that is just MK. More on weekends and holidays. Who the heck is going to sift through all of that to find YOU?!?!? No one. But some people seem to think that they are important enough that Disney is going to hire someone to track their movements throughout the day, so they will "hide" the MB in a container that blocks the signals. GET OVER IT!! Disney doesn't care about YOU!

None of this was directed at you Norm! Just so you know.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Oh, I know that. It's just the reason for the paranoia. Reasoning and sense go out the door when people are afraid.

Back in 2011, in an effort to eliminate the need for Annual Pass processing centers, Disneyland tried this with Annual Pass holders. Needless to say, it didn't work. People didn't follow the guidelines for photos on the website. There were also instances of fraud, were one person would go to the park and buy a new AP, then after that first day, pass the AP off to a friend/family member who would upload their photo to the original AP holder account.

It was a mess, and only lasted 2 months before Disney put the AP photos in the hands of Photopass.

Maybe they could add pictures at Disney resorts during check-in. It would keep the picture uploading/linking to account in the hands of Disney to help reduce the fraud (family members switching photos) but would also keep you from wasting park time to add a picture or answer questions if entry fails. I am a lot more patient checking in the hotel than when I am at the park gate, and my kids are too. Guests could "opt-in" to linking a photo to their account so if their entry scan fails they already have a picture in place to check. And Disney could keep the photo on your account until you want to change it at any guest services spot.

lazyboy97o

Take my fingerprint, take my picture. It doesn't matter to me. I'm not worried about how Disney will use my fingerprint or photo. Do people really think they are going to enter some secret government facility to steal something and use our pictures as a disguise and put our fingerprints all over the place to frame us? Someone give me one example of how fingerprints and a photo can be used negatively by Disney.
It's not really what adisney wI'll do with the information, but how much will be out there for others if (when?) there is a breach.

G00fyDad

It's not really what adisney wI'll do with the information, but how much will be out there for others if (when?) there is a breach.

Do you have any idea how many other institutions are just as vulnerable that have more of your personal information in Disney? Some of these institutions actually have your social security number. I'll admit that not all have your social security number, but they do have other personal information. The recent Target hack is a prime example of this. Yet people did not bat an eyelid second time at purchasing something with a credit card.

dreamfinder

Do you have any idea how many other institutions are just as vulnerable that have more of your personal information in Disney? Some of these institutions actually have your social security number. I'll admit that not all have your social security number, but they do have other personal information. The recent Target hack is a prime example of this. Yet people did not bat an eyelid second time at purchasing something with a credit card.

This. And more so. Were you aware that the major credit bureaus are also tracking your online information? (Read http://motherboard.vice.com/read/looking-up-symptoms-online-these-companies-are-collecting-your-data) So not only does Experian know all about your financial history, but they are also collecting information on the things you search for at WebMD for instance. So those guys have your social, your banking history, your medical history, and probably your shopping history as well. And no one has said a peep.

BernardandBianca

Were you aware that the major credit bureaus are also tracking your online information? (Read http://motherboard.vice.com/read/looking-up-symptoms-online-these-companies-are-collecting-your-data) So not only does Experian know all about your financial history, but they are also collecting information on the things you search for at WebMD for instance. So those guys have your social, your banking history, your medical history, and probably your shopping history as well. And no one has said a peep.

I believe that this information is being collected has been discussed numerous times in various forums throughout the Internet. This is a Walt Disney World forum, so I fail to understand why this would be relevant here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom