Room Upgrades

Hockey89

That kind of upgrade is just fine. Not asked for and not expected. Maybe the room with the parking lot view had a pipe break or some other reason to take it out of service, and they had no others to place you in. Good for you!

My issue is with people that come onto boards like here (well, DIS is worse by far), and ask how they can get upgraded for free, even though they don't deserve it. What do I have to say, how should I act, what do I put on my reservation, etc. They say, well X got an upgrade, and so should I. Well no, you shouldn't. There are usually very specific reasons for the change, and most have to do with the room you booked having to be taken out of service for some reason, and they had nowhere else to put you. The entitlement mentality displayed by all too many folks is just sickening nowadays, and I wish they would all stay away from WDW. Sorry, rant over.
Nice to read in this day in age of pure selfishness...

Pluto15

My experience is that all my friends and family who travel from overseas to WDW always get upgraded. I don't know if its to attract overseas guests back or die them having long stats but at least 20 of my family friends have been upgraded over the years. Actually I don't know anyone that hadn't. My colleague at woek was upgraded last month to club level for two weeks which saved thousands of dollars.

Missymoe4

The only upgrade I have gotten was due to overbooking. My party was booked at Coronado in a business-type room (suite or whatever they are called). The resort overbooked a convention and moved us all the way to the back of the resort in the "family section" as they told us. We were all single adults--we certainly were not looking for the family section...at least not at that time...

So we asked to see a manager to clarify the issue and perhaps get back some of the money we paid (since our room, after all, was more money). The manager walked up to the counter and said: "We're moving you directly to the Wilderness Lodge. We have a van outside waiting for you." So, possibly my reservation was already red-flagged, because she seemed to have the answer without really knowing what was occurring.

Otherwise, in my 34 years of going to Disney, I have never had a room upgrade. In fact, I plan accordingly and book the room that I want in the beginning. And some room upgrades I probably wouldn't be happy with. For example, when I book at the Contemporary, I want a lake view. I have never gone to WDW with the mindset of expecting a room upgrade, or for something special to happen. If it does, then great.

LoveDiz

Interesting reading here....we have been upgraded three times, but I do ask every time at check in.
First time, we booked a standard view room at the Poly and got upgraded to an MK view. This was our 2nd trip to Disney ever which I guess spoiled me and began my quest of always asking.
Second time, we booked a standard room at GF and got upgraded to a parlor room. Not a huge upgrade, but was offered a separate area with another tv and a pull out which my daughter loved! Still an upgrade to me :)
Third time, we were upgraded at the Contemporary from a garden wing room to Tower room Bay Lake view.
We have since stayed at both the Poly and GF again and did not get an upgrade, but did get our building requests. We have stayed at WL twice and received no upgrades. In all our stays at moderates we never received any upgrades.
After reading this, I now feel really lucky to have ever been upgraded! I certainly don't expect it, but glad some fairy dust was sprinkled on my family :) My motto is it never hurts to ask!

Blairnicol

We were at POR in December at booked at Garden View but got a Royal Room with a River View. It was a fun upgrade, although I felt sorry for my brother-in-law, haha. In the 20+ times I've been, that's the only upgrade I remember getting.

S. Paridon

Back in June 2011 my wife and son and I (before daughter) got an upgrade at WL from a 5th floor woods view to a 2nd floor inner courtyard view bunk-bed room. The A/C in our original room did not work and the supposed only other room available was the 2nd floor (room 2109). It turned out to be the best room we have ever had at WL, and have longed for it ever since.

OneDNP

If only the $20 trick worked at wdw! I am in the a it of asking if there are any complementary upgrades available whenever I travel, but in WDW I book the room I want.

Fizban

P1010420.JPG
We all have seen the stories either here or on Facebook where the family was offered a MK view room in the tower at the Contemporary when they had "paid" for a Garden wing room. I have read countless stories of this happening at other resorts across the WDW property. Have any of you ever received an upgrade and if so did you ask at check in? or was it just offered?
AS a Matter of fact I think we probably got the biggest unexpected upgrade that I've ever heard of. We booked 2 adjoining rooms at CSR with a requirement of 1 king room and a 2 queen room for my girls. When we got there they didn't have any openings so they gave us the Executive Suite for the week. When I get home I can post some pics. The suite took up half the second floor of the building we were in.

Attachments

• P1010415.JPG
    P1010415.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010407.JPG
    P1010407.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 78
  • P1010411.JPG
    P1010411.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 80
  • P1010412.JPG
    P1010412.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 78
  • P1010413.JPG
    P1010413.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010414.JPG
    P1010414.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010416.JPG
    P1010416.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010417.JPG
    P1010417.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 87
  • P1010427.JPG
    P1010427.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

iYazmo

My family has been upgraded twice. The first one being us getting upgraded from a standard to a preferred room at Pop Century. The second one was on our last trip when we stayed at Coronado. We paid for a standard room but hoped to be closer to one of the bus stops. We asked (politely) to be moved to another standard room building with a closer bus stop, but we were upgraded to a preferred room instead.

DisneyGigi

We were lucky enough to receive an upgrade from a standard view room at Coronado Springs to an amazing lakeview room right beside the laundry and quiet pool. It was our anniversary and was noted on our reservations. We did not ask for it! The sweet lady at check in just said she had the perfect room for us. :) We checked in at 7:00 am on our arrival day, may have been a factor too. I was really worried if we would even be able to do that so it was an amazing dose of Pixie Dust! I would never ask for a free upgrade.

Bugz

Well we got offered a pirate room at Caribbean only to find it was a very long way to port royal where you get all the services and was also long bus wait if you didn't walk , not an upgrade and don't mind walking but took long time to do coffee run. Lol

4401DisneyMom

We have stayed at GF five times now and were lucky enough to be "Family of the Week" one year and were assigned a room with a view of the Magic Kingdom. SO nice watching fireworks and enjoying the Electrical Water Pageant from the balcony. Also, on another trip, we were upgraded at GF to concierge, which was truly amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom