Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid closing for month long refurbishment Feb 2-Mar 6

CTXRover

Rode this afternoon. Nice little update, but the under the sea room seemed brighter than DCA's post update. For instance, the fish mobile apparatus is still visible in our version, but I don't remember seeing it at all in the DCA updated version. I also remember that in the DCA version you could no longer see the whole under the sea room all at once, which I still could in our version. Perhaps some lighting tweaks are still needed (?)

Cesar R M

Indeed.

I was pleasantly surprised how good it looked last fall. The odd issue but far better than on previous visits.
Well I was surprised they fixed the reflexive CC.
last 2 times I went were off.
last time I tried on this february.. it was working.

dreamscometrue

Rode this afternoon. Nice little update, but the under the sea room seemed brighter than DCA's post update. For instance, the fish mobile apparatus is still visible in our version, but I don't remember seeing it at all in the DCA updated version. I also remember that in the DCA version you could no longer see the whole under the sea room all at once, which I still could in our version. Perhaps some lighting tweaks are still needed (?)

It looks much improved in the video compared to what we had; with more sea creatures, popping colors and seems to be a lot darker. Having said that, and to your point, it still doesn't seem as dark in the 'Under the Sea' scene as the DCA version. I'm stating that simply on comparison of the 2 videos below. It just seems to be lit differently, but I don't know if that's because of the actual lighting,the paint used on the figures, or the different cameras and settings used to record the video. (Perhaps @marni1971, @photoflight or someone who knows much more about video and lighting then I, would know.)

Regardless, from what I've seen online, and heard from a relative who rode yesterday, it is much improved and completely changes the enjoyment factor of the ride. :)

Edit: After watching both videos again, I noticed that every single scene is much darker in the DCA video, which makes me think that at least part of the difference is likely a result of the cameras used.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

It looks much improved in the video compared to what we had; with more sea creatures, popping colors and seems to be a lot darker. Having said that, and to your point, it still doesn't seem as dark in the 'Under the Sea' scene as the DCA version. I'm stating that simply on comparison of the 2 videos below. It just seems to be lit differently, but I don't know if that's because of the actual lighting,the paint used on the figures, or the different cameras and settings used to record the video. (Perhaps @marni1971, @photoflight or someone who knows much more about video and lighting then I, would know.)

Regardless, from what I've seen online, and heard from a relative who rode yesterday, it is much improved and completely changes the enjoyment factor of the ride. :)

did they finally fix the visible ceiling and utilities in some scenes?

dreamscometrue

Further to my earlier post, here's another video shot yesterday, where it looks MUCH DARKER..more like DCA. It really does seem to depend quite a bit on the camera used. :)

Last edited:

flyerjab

We rode this today to hopefully appreciate the upgrades. What I find with this particular dark ride is the more often I ride it, the more I like it.

The first thing I will say is that the newly painted fish really pop out now. In the big Under the Sea scene, it creates a better illusion of depth in that big open space. It is also noticeably darker in that room which helps to hide the duct work and other non-show elements. For example, the rotating fish now appear to actually be floating as the rigging to support them is much more hidden.

The other thing that looks better is that Ariel's hair in the final two scenes looks way better as it is now 'real' hair.

I still hold to the opinion, however, that this ride is one or two scenes short of being a great dark ride for NFL. It is a shame that they made it a copy of the DCA layout instead of taking the opportunity to improve upon it. Other than that, though, the ride looks really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom