Dining plans

Halloweenhead

Original Poster
I've been trying to get my head around Dining Plans for ages now and I keep confusing myself even more everytime I try and research it. Working out a) Do you get value for money then b) which plan to get.

We are staying 30-March until 15th April at POP! Two adults going. At the moment we've booked BoG, Sci- Fi, Fultons, T-Rex. We've budgeted to spend around $150 per day (is that possible?)

Ben_since_1971

In answer to your first question - it depends on what you mean by value. From a pure economic sense, I have tried to do an apples to apples comparison on what I would spend OOP vs DP. And OOP usually comes out cheaper. BUT - it is not a true apples to apples comparison for me. If I was spending OOP, there is no way I would be eating as much as I do on property (we have a rental car) nor eating at as many sit down restaurants. Kinda hard to compare Via Napoli vs. Denny's or the Olive Garden.

Where I find the value, though, is how I use my credits. I go in December so I use two for the CP package. I also use two each at Yachtsman Steakhouse and Hoop-Dee-Doo. Paying OOP, I would only do the CP. I also find value in the fact that I can set my schedule ahead of time and not have to worry about playing the 'what do you want to eat tonight' game.

I also see value as the DP sorta-kinda makes my vacation seem 'all-inclusive'. It isn't, of course, but in my mind the meals are paid for so no budgetary worries towards the end of the trip.

Of course, I have only paid for it once - all other times I have used it (and it's been about 5-6 times) it was part of the 'free' promotion. But when I did pay, I did think it was worth it.

Of course, YMMV.

In answer to your second question, I prefer the standard DP. QS would be ok for a short trip, but eating that much QS over the course of a two week stay (my usual) is too much for me. One can only have so many cheeseburgers. Anything beyond the standard is just adding food - and I gain to much as it is on the standard!! :p

seahawk7

Because if we'll spend more money using the DP, I'd prefer not to use it and spend money elsewhere.
Plus not everywhere takes the dining plan particularly the little food stops in World Showcase although this could now have changed since I was there last May.

Jahona

I've used the Dining Plan several times in my past trips and It's not exactly a "Cost Value". With that said I plan on using it in my upcoming trip. It makes paying at most restaurants hassle free and kind of fun. On my last trip my friends and I kept fighting on who got to tap the band to pay the bill, it became a competition. The dining plan is something I already have budgeted for. Honestly I can work off those calories in the Florida heat after eating that Desert. (Ok maybe not but that's what I keep telling myself)

On a side note, recently a travel agent sent me a 4 day breakdown on using the dining plan efficiently and was able to come up with a $100+ saving for the trip. It is possible to save money but for the most part I figure you will probably just break even.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Because if we'll spend more money using the DP, I'd prefer not to use it and spend money elsewhere.
If $150 a day is for both of you to eat AND spend on other items that is not much. Just on food you could spend that much in a day for 2 people for meals and possible snacks, etc.
You can do it but $150 will be tight. Me and my hubby easily spend over that each day on food and other shopping etc. :)

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Plus not everywhere takes the dining plan particularly the little food stops in World Showcase although this could now have changed since I was there last May.
I have never come across much food stands in any park including EPCOT in World Showcase that do not take the dining plan with snack credits or a quick service credit. We have gone the past 4 years in a row and a few times several years before the last 4 years in a row. Not saying every single stand all items you can use the plan on but most of the stands have at least a few items that qualify. Only if the item is over say $5 (give or take as it varies) is it not included and also alcohol is not included. :)

harryk

Our family used the basic DP on one trip and found it quite unsatisfactory - in that we ran out of credits quickly.
On remaining trips (8 night stays and all adults) we use the Delux Dining Plan and have found it quite satisfactory.
We like sit-down meals (a consideration which you must take into account when looking at the plans) and have never been dissatisfied. Take a look at some of the menu's and their pricing and compare OOP with the DDP and then make your decision. Remember most Dining Plans do not cover non-soft drinks and none cover tips.
Your dining choices determine the value of the dining plans vs out of pocket. When someone says that the dining plans offer too much food please remember that nobody says you have to eat everything on your plate - but you do have that option.

Mukta

I'm going to talk about something that doesn't seem to come up much when you are talking about the DP.

I used to get it all of the time and I don't in recent years, because I save a lot of money by paying out of pocket. I don't drink a soda, eat an entree and a dessert normally. The plan doesn't fit my eating habits.

When I used to get the plan, I would eat desert twice a day since I had paid for it. At this point in my life, I realize that no one should eat dessert twice a day. It really is too much at the end of a 5, 7, 9 day trip.

lilclerk

I'm going to talk about something that doesn't seem to come up much when you are talking about the DP.

I used to get it all of the time and I don't in recent years, because I save a lot of money by paying out of pocket. I don't drink a soda, eat an entree and a dessert normally. The plan doesn't fit my eating habits.

When I used to get the plan, I would eat desert twice a day since I had paid for it. At this point in my life, I realize that no one should eat dessert twice a day. It really is too much at the end of a 5, 7, 9 day trip.
Yup, this is my biggest reason I used when pushing going without the dining plan on our next trip. I just can't stomach that many desserts. I'd also rather snack my way through lunch or dinner, and do TS for the the other meal. I'm not big on most of the quick service in the parks.

yedliW

In my opinion, the only one to consider is the regular plan (1 ts, 1 qs, 1 snack per day). The smaller one (2 qs 1 snack/day) is more than it is worth, since deserts at most QS places aren't great, I wouldn't normally get desert, if it wasn't included. The deluxe plan is just way too much food. I considered it for one trip, with the idea of doing a breakfast somewhere, then a signature dinner each day, but figured that would be overkill. We ended up just paying OOP for QS meals that trip, and it seemed to work out fine. I do like taking the time for a sit down meal, so we did a breakfast at 'Ohana on a whim (it was in January, so it wasn't hard to get an ADR for it)

It all comes down to: how much is dining part of your 'vacation experience'? I enjoy the convenience of prepaying for it, but need to remember to use the snacks. It is not uncommon for us to be in the resort store burning up the unused snack credits before we hit the DME back to MCO.

seahawk7

I have never come across much food stands in any park including EPCOT in World Showcase that do not take the dining plan with snack credits or a quick service credit. We have gone the past 4 years in a row and a few times several years before the last 4 years in a row. Not saying every single stand all items you can use the plan on but most of the stands have at least a few items that qualify. Only if the item is over say $5 (give or take as it varies) is it not included and also alcohol is not included. :)
All I know is that we got the dining plan twice, once the deluxe and once the basic. One of those times the tea place in China and somewhere else in World Showcase did not use the dining plan. It could have changed since then. But we have found that if we take the money we would have used for the dining plan and budget our meals or eat a late breakfast or early dinner, we have extra money and can choose to buy alcohol or something that isn't
included in the dining. We prefer the flexibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom