NFL 2015 Offseason Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Best bets in my opinion are Sanchez, Locker, then Hoyer in that order.
It's sad when Mark Sanchez is your best option... a Cutler trade is possible, too. Highly unlikely, but it's an option. Personally I'd stick with Manuel over all of the options we've laid out. Drafting Petty wouldn't be stupid for the future, though.

PUSH

Original Poster
And the Bills have their QB. They've agreed to trade the Vikings for Matt Cassel.

seahawk7

And the Bills have their QB. They've agreed to trade the Vikings for Matt Cassel.
I thought of you when I heard this. Looks like things are fleshing out. I was watching Rich Eisen ' s show and they were tossing around the subject of the RB's future in the NFL with the end of the Super Bowl decision to pass instead of run, trading big RBS etc. Rich Eisen thinks he sees a pattern of demise for the RB in the offensive picture. I'm not sure what I think.

PUSH

Original Poster
I thought of you when I heard this. Looks like things are fleshing out. I was watching Rich Eisen ' s show and they were tossing around the subject of the RB's future in the NFL with the end of the Super Bowl decision to pass instead of run, trading big RBS etc. Rich Eisen thinks he sees a pattern of demise for the RB in the offensive picture. I'm not sure what I think.
It's definitely taken a step down since the spike in pass-friendly rules, but I think the importance of a RB is still great. If you look at the dominant teams in the league, they all have solid running games. The Seahawks, Packers, and even Patriots had respectable running games. And I consider those to be the top three teams last season. When you take a look at teams who have good regular seasons, followed by disappointing post seasons, they typically struggle on the ground. For example the Broncos. Even the Packers couldn't get it done in 2011 when they went 15-1 in the regular season. They failed to run the ball in the playoffs and got beaten by the less talented Giants. I agree passing is the main focus in offenses these days, but a running game puts teams over the top. I used to be on the bandwagon of RBs being phased out until Green Bay drafted Eddie Lacy. He vastly improved our offense and the way we can play games.

seahawk7

It's definitely taken a step down since the spike in pass-friendly rules, but I think the importance of a RB is still great. If you look at the dominant teams in the league, they all have solid running games. The Seahawks, Packers, and even Patriots had respectable running games. And I consider those to be the top three teams last season. When you take a look at teams who have good regular seasons, followed by disappointing post seasons, they typically struggle on the ground. For example the Broncos. Even the Packers couldn't get it done in 2011 when they went 15-1 in the regular season. They failed to run the ball in the playoffs and got beaten by the less talented Giants. I agree passing is the main focus in offenses these days, but a running game puts teams over the top. I used to be on the bandwagon of RBs being phased out until Green Bay drafted Eddie Lacy. He vastly improved our offense and the way we can play games.
I agree with you about the importance of the running game. CJ Anderson helped out the Broncos and it was the passing game that lost them the game against the Colts last playoff season if I recall correctly. It's that Rich Eisen seemed concerned that got my antenna up. His thought was that the rushing records of past years won't get challenged anymore because offenses are being designed for passing to be the dominate offense. I respect Rich Eisen ' s opinions and maybe he was coming off the shock of LeSean McCoy being traded I don't know. A good solid running game definitely makes for a stronger team.

PUSH

Original Poster
I agree with you about the importance of the running game. CJ Anderson helped out the Broncos and it was the passing game that lost them the game against the Colts last playoff season if I recall correctly. It's that Rich Eisen seemed concerned that got my antenna up. His thought was that the rushing records of past years won't get challenged anymore because offenses are being designed for passing to be the dominate offense. I respect Rich Eisen ' s opinions and maybe he was coming off the shock of LeSean McCoy being traded I don't know. A good solid running game definitely makes for a stronger team.
There is no doubt we are seeing a trend to pass-happy offenses. It's what the casual fan wants. They like high-scoring affairs, and passing is the way to do that. Rushing records will continue to be cemented in history, whereas we see passing records fall every year. It's not a coincident. The league wants aerial attacks, not rushing attacks.

seahawk7

There is no doubt we are seeing a trend to pass-happy offenses. It's what the casual fan wants. They like high-scoring affairs, and passing is the way to do that. Rushing records will continue to be cemented in history, whereas we see passing records fall every year. It's not a coincident. The league wants aerial attacks, not rushing attacks.
Here's to smash mouth football.

027-df-scrap.jpg

NYwdwfan

The Jets have traded for Brandon Marshall. Not sure what they gave up yet. And we still have nobody to throw him - or anyone else - the ball. So apparently we're still going with the headcase circus approach to personnel. Yippee.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Colts have said they will not resign Reggie Wayne. And Marshawn Lynch will head to Seattle to talk to Paul Allen.

PUSH

Original Poster
Lynch signs a two year extension with the Seahawks. Not surprised. He's done this before where he's said he'll retire, only to come back.

seahawk7

Lynch signs a two year extension with the Seahawks. Not surprised. He's done this before where he's said he'll retire, only to come back.
I'm glad he is back. I honestly think he isn't sure at times because of his back so that is why he vacillates. He is a very physical RB.

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm glad he is back. I honestly think he isn't sure at times because of his back so that is why he vacillates. He is a very physical RB.
I think he likes attention more than he's willing to admit. His press conferences aren't about avoiding the media. His short, repetitive answers only invite more media, and he knows that.

seahawk7

I think he likes attention more than he's willing to admit. His press conferences aren't about avoiding the media. His short, repetitive answers only invite more media, and he knows that.
Agree to disagree. With Marshawn Lynch I lose all objectivity.

NYwdwfan

My thoughts too. Retire quietly or don't. No need for YAGE. Unless you enjoy hearing people say "oh he's so great he shouldn't retire".

PUSH

Original Poster
My thoughts too. Retire quietly or don't. No need for YAGE. Unless you enjoy hearing people say "oh he's so great he shouldn't retire".
I've thought this for a while. If he didn't want extra attention drawn, he'd answer with cliches like every other player does. I think he likes the spotlight, and this is just a creative way of being in it.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Packers and Randall Cobb agree to a 4-year extension worth $40 million, with $17 million guaranteed. Excited to hear this news after the reports that negotiations had come to a standstill. But I trusted Ted Thompson to do the right thing, and I think this deal was right.

PUSH

Original Poster
According to Ian Rapoport, Cobb had 6-7 other offers today, but turned them down and took less money to stay with the Packers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom