Pre-checkin Required Before Going to the Parks?

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hopefully this is an easy question. In 17 days, my wife and I will be heading to Orlando for our Disney Vacation. We purposely booked as early of a flight as we could with the anticipation of getting in some park time the day we get there. Our flight gets into Orlando at around 8:30 am and I figured (best case scenario) we get to Coronado Springs by 9:30 am via the Magical Express (well before the 3 pm check in time). I know the Magical Express will only take you to your hotel and not to a park, but my question is do we need to go into the hotel to do anything to activate our MagicBands before we head over to the park, or can we hop off the Magical Express bus and get right onto a park bus?

I had seen videos/heard stories of people who were staying at Disney resorts who got off their plane and went straight to the park and when they got to the park, they were turned away because their Magic Bands hadn't been "activated", however, I just received my MagicBands yesterday and didn't see anything in there where it said you needed to go to the hotel before you go anywhere else. I mean, it would make sense that you would need to see someone live and in person so they could validate that you are who you say you are (via a form of ID) given that your MagicBands are linked to your park entrance tickets and whatnot, but seeing as how you can now go straight to your room (in some resorts) I didn't know if they had found some way to cut out that step. I mean, I would guess that they may be able to activate everything as easily as when you check in for the Magical Express.

I want to get the most park time that we can, but I just don't want to get all the way to the MK to be told I need to either go back to the hotel or wait in a long line at customer service (that would not be a very magical way to start the trip...)

Tom

Beta Return
If you purchased your tickets as part of a MYW Package, then yes, you must check in at the Resort first, before anything will become active.

The Magic Bands are automatically "active" when you receive them in the mail a few weeks before your trip, but the components of your MYW Package are not active until you go through the Check-In Process.

Rob562

And to give the flip side of what @Tom said above, if you *didn't* book a package reservation and you bought your park tickets separately, you *can* use the Band at the park before you check in. It's only to activate the tickets on a package that would require stopping at the hotel.

Either way, you can still stop by the front desk and check in when you arrive, even if your room isn't ready yet.

-Rob

Clamman73

Why not do online check-in for 9:30am?...when you get off the bus, do the check-in which shouldn't take that long and head to the parks.

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks. Already did the on-line check-in. Big question was if I would have to do anything else before heading to the park or not. Seems I will need to go into the lobby, but with on-line check-in already done, it should be pretty fast... not complaining... will be nice to get the "welcome home" welcome before heading over to the parks...

JasonDeyoung

Not sure, I've done both straight to the park and checked in first. Straight to the park didn't effect me cause I am on my AP but as for charges using your magic band I've only done this after stopping at the hotel. I always arrive pretty early, worst case is they get you all set and text you when ur room is ready with your room # and you don't have to go to the desk again.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If you purchased your tickets as part of a MYW Package, then yes, you must check in at the Resort first, before anything will become active.

The Magic Bands are automatically "active" when you receive them in the mail a few weeks before your trip, but the components of your MYW Package are not active until you go through the Check-In Process.

Strange - We always fly in early and I always book the MYW packages and I seem to recall going straight to the parks in the Magic Band era.

I've been wrong before though - just ask my wife.

DisneyJoe

Our flight gets into Orlando at around 8:30 am and I figured (best case scenario) we get to Coronado Springs by 9:30 am via the Magical Express (well before the 3 pm check in time).

You don't need to wait until 3pm to check in, you can check in at 9:30am and then go to the park. Your room may not be ready, but you can certainly check in.

Jahona

You don't need to wait until 3pm to check in, you can check in at 9:30am and then go to the park. Your room may not be ready, but you can certainly check in.

This is what I've done. I usually always check in as soon as I get to the resort even if the room isn't ready. I'll drop my carry-on luggage off with baggage services and then catch a bus to the parks.

Tom

Beta Return
And to give the flip side of what @Tom said above, if you *didn't* book a package reservation and you bought your park tickets separately, you *can* use the Band at the park before you check in. It's only to activate the tickets on a package that would require stopping at the hotel.

Either way, you can still stop by the front desk and check in when you arrive, even if your room isn't ready yet.

-Rob

Yeah, I always jump to that assumption :p

Why not do online check-in for 9:30am?...when you get off the bus, do the check-in which shouldn't take that long and head to the parks.

The time you select online really has no bearing on anything. It just helps Disney gauge potential demand.

Thanks. Already did the on-line check-in. Big question was if I would have to do anything else before heading to the park or not. Seems I will need to go into the lobby, but with on-line check-in already done, it should be pretty fast... not complaining... will be nice to get the "welcome home" welcome before heading over to the parks...

Don't make any reservations that bank on the check-in process being fast. That was definitely the INTENT of Online Check-In, but so many guests do it, the Online Check-In line is typically longer than the "standard" line. AND, it takes just as long, because guests will end up asking questions, making requests, and otherwise consuming a LOT of the CM's time. In countless trips, I have yet to experience a "fast" Online Check-In queue, unfortunately.

But yes, definitely take the bus to the resort, head straight to the front desk, check-in, stow your carry-ons or other loose items with Bell, and hit the parks. They'll text you when your room is ready.

It'll be REALLY nice when they roll out the automatic check-in process to all resorts. Supposedly it's being tested (or was for a while) at POR...although I have surprisingly read nothing about it on here.

Not sure, I've done both straight to the park and checked in first. Straight to the park didn't effect me cause I am on my AP but as for charges using your magic band I've only done this after stopping at the hotel. I always arrive pretty early, worst case is they get you all set and text you when ur room is ready with your room # and you don't have to go to the desk again.

That's definitely nice about the text.

Strange - We always fly in early and I always book the MYW packages and I seem to recall going straight to the parks in the Magic Band era.

I've been wrong before though - just ask my wife.

Hmmmm......was it recent enough that it was at one of the test "auto check-in" resorts, like POR? I have not heard of your scenario being possible, otherwise. But then again, I too have been wrong precisely once in my life. This could be the second time.

Absolutely, you can physically check-in at the resort at any time.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Hmmmm......was it recent enough that it was at one of the test "auto check-in" resorts, like POR? I have not heard of your scenario being possible, otherwise. But then again, I too have been wrong precisely once in my life. This could be the time.

Your streak may not be in jeapordy tom....it wasnt the auto check in, but we were definitley part of the test group for MB at CR.... You think maybe thats what it was?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom