Dopey 2016

Arosebud13

Original Poster
Hey I've heard a few rumors that this is going to be the last year for Dopey. Is there anyone who could tell me if this has some backing?

Mad Stitch

Well thats an interesting and noble thought but wouldn't the medal collecting runners sign up for them individually and make it an unofficial Dopey challenge just as it was before?

Arosebud13

Original Poster
Well thats an interesting and noble thought but wouldn't the medal collecting runners sign up for them individually and make it an unofficial Dopey challenge just as it was before?
It is thought that because there won't be that extra medal or shirt, then some won't see it as being worth registering individually. Especially considering they would have to have four windows open on registration day to sign up for them all.

lukacseven

The whole challenge medal thing is really caught on & the novelty is wearing off. Seems almost every multi-race event is doing it now. I've done 3 Goofy's and last year's Dopey & really don't see myself doing Dopey again. I'm actually surprised Disney has not re-visited the marathon relay. I thought that would have been more popular.

Katherine

I agree @lukacseven I thought the relay had real legs, I think it was a logistics thing though for them since it was run on the "old" marathon course (before adding in race track and WWoS) and the hand off was in the narrow streth after Poly in the MK parking lots.

I don't think Dopey is going anywhere (or at least I'm hoping it's not). It's too much of a cash cow for them and I know personally if they dropped it, I'd just go back to Goofy. I also heard that rumor floating around (either WDWRadio or Mickey Milers podcast) and they were also citing it could be discontinued due to injury/fatigue on the course. Too many people signing up for the race series not realizing the challenge they are about to take on and instead just thinking about Disney and magic and pixie dust when they register.

Mad Stitch

I agree @lukacseven I thought the relay had real legs, I think it was a logistics thing though for them since it was run on the "old" marathon course (before adding in race track and WWoS) and the hand off was in the narrow streth after Poly in the MK parking lots.

I think one of the problems the marathon weekend relay had is that runDisney probably attracts more casual runners who want to race with family/friends. If that's the case you would probably want to run together on the half day rather then alone in the relay. Even the W&D relay didn't last long.

Katherine

I think one of the problems the marathon weekend relay had is that runDisney probably attracts more casual runners who want to race with family/friends. If that's the case you would probably want to run together on the half day rather then alone in the relay. Even the W&D relay didn't last long.
Forgot about that angle, good call!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom