Indiana Jones Adventure - The Temple's 20th Anniversary

mickEblu

Anything is possible, but i am sure something special shall be revealed.
Should be a great night with a full attendance.

During the 10th Anniversary back in 2005, there was a special merchandise event held that included some neat surprises, including a appearance by Tony Baxter ( dressed as Indy, below ) and 'Hallah', Sallah's cousin, twice removed! -

A fun and through write up can be seen here, along with some nice photos of all that went on that night.
Well worth checking out!

http://www.i5nomads.com/disneyland/2005/indy/event.html

A even more through overview of the 10th Anniversary Event, in even greater detail with lots of photos.
Enjoy!
http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/indyevent.html

Very cool! Here's to hoping this event will be as exciting. I'll be there tomorrow night.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The Passholder Event was GREAT!
Just saw some photos from friends who attended.
You folks who are going tonight are in for a real treat....so wish i was one of them !

I will have some images to share later on.
Highlights -
'Indiana Baxter' was in attendance ( yay! ) and with Tim O' Day they did a fabulous panel discussion about the Attraction over at the Big Thunder Ranch.
A neat 20th Anniversary Logo card was given to folks that contained a reproduction of the 'Maraglyphics' Decoder Card.

A epic evening.....i am sure more shall be revealed.

Have to run off for now....work to accomplish. Will be back later with some lovely photos.

Mukta

I had a wonderful time last night! It is restaurant week in the OC, so I started with a 3 course dinner at Steakhouse 55 for $50.

I got my wristband around 7:35 pm. They had a ton of CMs and there was no line at all.

I got into the park and rode Snow White before the park closed and then headed to Indy.

Most of the people were exiting the park and we waited in line for about 7 minutes. The ride looked great other than the ghost we never see anymore.

I'm so glad I rode it then, because when I exited, the line was over 30 min long.

Rode HM and took the train for a round trip. They were only doing stops at New Orleans Square and Main Street USA.

I watched the live band in front of Indy and the live acts. They had guys dressed as Indy standing on these big rolling boulders. I don't know how to explain it, but it was cool. I attempted to ride Jungle Cruise, but the line was extremely long.

I visited the Tiki Room and sang along with the birds and the flowers.

I was in line for Big Thunder at 9:55 which was a mistake. I should have lined up for the Baxter presentation. I lined up at 10:07 after riding Thunder and I got a decent seat, but the closer ones were all gone.

The presentation was great. They showed video clips starting at 10:20 even though the presentation said 10:30 on the map. Tony Baxter was great, I learned a lot and it was a great hour.

From there I went to see the special showing of Fantasmic! at 11:30. My favorite spot was open, so I watched the show. It is still one of the best things in the park.

I had 7 min before the park closed, so I headed for Jungle Cruise. I was in line at 11:56 and I am so glad I was. Kim was one of the best skippers I ever had. She was enthusiastic, hilarious and very original. She had so many jokes I had never heard before and her delivery was spot on.

I exited the park and was on the tram at 12:27. It was a great night!

Mike S

-

Well today is the day, intrepid explorers!

Twenty years ago today..Indiana taught the band to play....uh, wait...

'Indiana Jones Adventure - The Temple of The Forbidden Eye' has it's Grand Opening!

A special Jones inspired opening entertained the press and the crowds that had gathered to be among the first to experience this all new Attraction at Disneyland.
Michael Eisner, 'Indy', George Lucas, and a hostess use the golden idol to open the way to adventure...

A short video showcasing the highlights of that Opening Ceremony -

Full page advert used to promote the Grand Opening -

Great reference man :hilarious:

Anyone who read my trip report knows I loved this ride. I was a bit down because Disney doesn't sell attraction specific shirts but I'm covered now :D http://m.disneystore.com/indiana-jo...land-limited-availability/mp/1373404/1000228/ I'm definitely buying this shirt to commemorate the fact that my first 3 rides ever on my new favorite Disney ride was about a month before it officially turned 20 :D

Sage of Time

Not to be a downer, but are the doors on the chamber of early riches/observatory of the future/chamber of destiny still working? Or can you still see the vehicle in front of you turn off the path and the whole illusion reset?

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Great reference man :hilarious:

Anyone who read my trip report knows I loved this ride. I was a bit down because Disney doesn't sell attraction specific shirts but I'm covered now :D http://m.disneystore.com/indiana-jo...land-limited-availability/mp/1373404/1000228/ I'm definitely buying this shirt to commemorate the fact that my first 3 rides ever on my new favorite Disney ride was about a month before it officially turned 20 :D

Thank you Mike for sharing that link.
Very nice shirt design there. May just have to order one of those!
Nice avatar, by the way.....
;)

*Indiana Jones Adventure* is one of my all-time favorite Attractions anywhere as i am sure this thread already gave the impression of.
Always something new to discover and appreciate when passing through those temple gates!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Not to be a downer, but are the doors on the chamber of early riches/observatory of the future/chamber of destiny still working? Or can you still see the vehicle in front of you turn off the path and the whole illusion reset?

My last ride-through was mid-September and the effect was not working.
Transports were only going through the center door at that time.
The doors would open and close, so you did not see the Transport in front of you.
You just missed out on the effect of the changing doors.

I have seen them operational during other visits to the Attraction, so it is a effect that seems to come and go.
Very neat when it is working properly.
Someone who has had a recent pass through can probably attest to their current state...hopefully working for the 20th Event.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

I had a wonderful time last night! It is restaurant week in the OC, so I started with a 3 course dinner at Steakhouse 55 for $50.

I got my wristband around 7:35 pm. They had a ton of CMs and there was no line at all.

I got into the park and rode Snow White before the park closed and then headed to Indy.

Most of the people were exiting the park and we waited in line for about 7 minutes. The ride looked great other than the ghost we never see anymore.

I'm so glad I rode it then, because when I exited, the line was over 30 min long.

Rode HM and took the train for a round trip. They were only doing stops at New Orleans Square and Main Street USA.

I watched the live band in front of Indy and the live acts. They had guys dressed as Indy standing on these big rolling boulders. I don't know how to explain it, but it was cool. I attempted to ride Jungle Cruise, but the line was extremely long.

I visited the Tiki Room and sang along with the birds and the flowers.

I was in line for Big Thunder at 9:55 which was a mistake. I should have lined up for the Baxter presentation. I lined up at 10:07 after riding Thunder and I got a decent seat, but the closer ones were all gone.

The presentation was great. They showed video clips starting at 10:20 even though the presentation said 10:30 on the map. Tony Baxter was great, I learned a lot and it was a great hour.

From there I went to see the special showing of Fantasmic! at 11:30. My favorite spot was open, so I watched the show. It is still one of the best things in the park.

I had 7 min before the park closed, so I headed for Jungle Cruise. I was in line at 11:56 and I am so glad I was. Kim was one of the best skippers I ever had. She was enthusiastic, hilarious and very original. She had so many jokes I had never heard before and her delivery was spot on.

I exited the park and was on the tram at 12:27. It was a great night!

Fantastic.
Many thanks for coming back to let us hear about how your night was.

:)

Mike S

My last ride-through was mid-September and the effect was not working.
Transports were only going through the center door at that time.

I have seen them operational during other visits to the Attraction, so it is a effect that seems to come and go.
Someone who has had a recent pass through can probably attest to their current state...hopefully working for the 20th Event.
All three of my rides were the center door.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

From the bridge into the mouth of the serpent......with the evac lights on...intrepid explorers venture forth !

Imagine yourself having the opportunity to explore the Temple on your own (or with a friend..) and getting to see all the interior details up close....

I would love to be able to do that someday, but until then, this photo provides sweet imaginings of doing so -

( photo by Roger Weeks )

Neat custom logo used for the special Annual Passport Event celebrating 20 years of Adventure -

Marvelous photo of our Guides to Adventure, Tim O* Day with *Indiana Baxter* providing some wonderful insights and stories into the creation of this Attraction last night in front of the crowd gathered to celebrate -

( Photo by P. J. Garcia )

SO wish i was there for this !!

Last edited:

Mike S

-

From the bridge into the mouth of the serpent......with the evac lights on...intrepid explorers venture forth !

Imagine yourself having the opportunity to explore the Temple on your own (or with a friend..) and getting to see all the interior details up close....

I would love to be able to do that someday, but until then, this photo provides sweet imaginings of doing so -

Neat custom logo used for the special Annual Passport Event celebrating 20 years of Adventure -

Marvelous photo of our Guides to Adventure, Tim O* Day with *Indiana Baxter* providing some wonderful insights and stories into the creation of this Attraction last night in front of the crowd gathered to celebrate -

SO wish i was there for this !!

( Photo by J. P. Garcia )
Me too buddy, me too.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
All three of my rides were the center door.

Ah, then that means the mechanism that rotates the doors for the effect is still not working.

Speaking of such, you have reminded me of a video clip i meant to share here yesterday.

A neat little *backstage* look at what happens late at night when the *Indiana Jones Adventure* goes through it*s nightly maintenance back some years ago.
In this video, you get to see the rotating door effect up close from a unique angle.

Enjoy!

Mike S

Ah, then that means the mechanism that rotates the doors for the effect is still not working.

Speaking of such, you have reminded me of a video clip i meant to share here yesterday.

A neat little *backstage* look at what happens late at night when the *Indiana Jones Adventure* goes through it*s nightly maintenance back some years ago.
In this video, you get to see the rotating door effect up close from a unique angle.

Enjoy!

Wait, so the boulder never actually moves? It just rolls in place? Sure fooled me :)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Wait, so the boulder never actually moves? It just rolls in place? Sure fooled me :)

Correct.
The illusion is great, and is achieved by the walls around you moving.
As your Transport moves forward slowly, the walls move backwards..fooling your senses into thinking you are also doing so.
The boulder appears to move towards you because your Transport is moving forward until it eventually plunges into the darkness to *miss being hit* by it.
Such a neat effect.

Also interesting when it does not fire off correctly which happens from time to time.
Saw this a couple of times during my most recent visit and it was pretty neat.
Makes you realize how important the timing and unity of all the elements involved working together is.
Felt bad for some of the Guests though, as a few were obvious first-timers.
Hopefully they rode again later on.

Last edited:

Mike S

Correct.
The illusion is great, and is achieved by the walls around you moving.
As your Transport moves forward slowly, the walls move backwards..fooling your senses into thinking you are also doing so.
The boulder appears to move towards you because your Transport is moving forward until it eventually plunges into the darkness to *miss being hit* by it.
Such a neat effect.

Also interesting when it does not fire off correctly which happens from time to time.
Saw this a couple of times during my most recent visit and it was pretty neat.
Makes you realize how important the timing and unity of all the elements involved working together is.
Felt bad for some of the Guests though, as a few were obvious first-timers.
Hopefully they rode again later on.
I really want to see another ride like that from Disney in Orlando. With moments that make you ask, "how the heck did they do that?!?!?!?!"

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Mike above brought this to my attention, and it*s something that i am going to re-post here as fans of the Attraction might want to know about it.

The Disney Store website is offering this nicely designed IJA 20th Anniversary t-shirt from now until March 8th.
One of their recent *Limited Edition* shirt offers, where they print these to order after the closing date and then ship them to you 3 to 5 weeks after you order.

Looks nice...and fans of Attraction-specific-merch will likely love it!
Not available at the Park....website orders only.

Photo example -

Direct link to order a shirt or two -

http://www.disneystore.com/tees-top...land-limited-availability/mp/1373401/1000228/

$25 each, or $20 each when you order two.
Adult and child sizes shown with a helpful size chart to determine the best choice of fit.

Thank you Mike!

:)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I really want to see another ride like that from Disney in Orlando. With moments that make you ask, "how the heck did they do that?!?!?!?!"

I agree.

Walt Disney World's most recently built E-ticket was 'Expedition Everest' for Animal Kingdom in April of 2006
So it has been 9 years.
However, Disneyland Park has not had one built for 20 years - 'Indiana Jones Adventure' was the last true E-ticket built there.
California Adventure received the nicely done E with 'Radiator Springs Racers' in 2012, which was only three years ago....but that is still a considerable 17 year gap between E's being built at DLR.

I think the next big E-ticket for WDW will be the Pandora experience coming with the 'Avatar' themed area to Animal Kingdom.
The sensation of riding a Banshee over the landscape will be stunning.
I have complete faith in the project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom