The Sole Imagineer: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@TheOriginalTiki

Submission Post here

- Nice quotes.

- I liked the intro...until you switched voice and made it of a contemporary story of what "used" to be at IoA, and turned it into a story that it's a "real" presentation. I think you could have broken these two sections up and it would have helped with flow. I liked both sections, but the transition was...rough.

- And then you transition right back out of the "corporate presentation" section (with Masrani quotes and all) and back into a descriptive one. I think, the whole Masroni part, would have begged for one of your "character videos" where you "became" Masrani, and that filled the same space in your presentation. I think the flow would have worked better. I get what you were trying to do, and I applaud it, but I don't think it worked in the final presentation.

- Map...map...map...map...did I mention a map? That would have been nice. I have no idea where this old attraction was...and saying it isn't enough.

- And then you transition styles again with "Ladies and gentlemen, the good folks at the Masrani Corporation invite you to take a peak behind the walls of Jurassic World's latest and greatest attraction... "

- I really like the idea of having TWO walkthroughs that are unique. This is such a great idea to have! It offers "re-rideability", if you will, and also makes it a more unique attraction. I can't wait to see where you go with this concept!

- "A plague on the statue." Sorry, I laughed at that typo. No points taken off for it, but...yeah, the meanings are so divergent. :p

- I-Rex. Ok, not sure what it stands for, but it sounds nice. I wish you had defined WHY it was called the "I-Rex". But, in any case, as a "rider" and "reader", I'm still intrigued.

- Ok, now I'm a bit lost. So, is this the "path A" vs "path B" version you mentioned? I can see images / animatronics / whatever of people rolling around in gerbil balls, or I can go see the I-Rex? You are starting to lose me...nice visuals, but feels more like you are trying to slide in a miniland C-ticket attraction as you describe it, not a scene in a walkthrough.

- Colors...STAHP! If there is no reason to do them, don't do them.

- I still feel like you are trying to create a mini-land, not a walkthrough.

- That being said, the "Raptor Training" sounds great, and I think works perfectly.

- An "Ariel" view...either a well intended pun, or a typo. In either case made me chuckle.

Summary @TheOriginalTiki

I'm a huge fan of Jurassic Park, and am disappointed about how much potential it has vs what is available in theme parks. I think with this you tried to address some of the issues which exist in the Jurassic Park section of IoA currently, but I think you missed the mark. You went for something that is large, scary and iconic. Here, I'll use music to describe my thoughts...one sec...

You went for this...

When, what I think is missing from IoA is this...

The wonder, the interaction, the chance to really FEEL like you are visiting...well...Jurassic Park. And, one that isn't always a disaster thrill experience, rather the experience is the THRILL. I think, had you done it slightly differently, it would have made an excellent compliment to the current and rumored attractions. But, you kept wanting (I could tell) to go back into designing an entire land experience, not a simple walkthrough C or D ticket.

Awesome idea, awesome placement (though, still needed a map), and my favorite of the week hands down, but I still feel like you missed the mark in terms of final concept and presentation.

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Congrats to Zwei on winning the reward!

Just a few points on my project to address issues people have been having with it.

-The way I wrote the project was putting myself in the mindset that the Jurassic Park in Islands of Adventure was a small Florida version of the much larger "Jurassic World" on Isla Sorna. Probably could have communicated that better.

-The Gyrospheres were never meant to be ridden (though they would make for an AWESOME attraction in the future) the point of having them there was to showcase the invisible forcefield tech that would later come into play with the I-Rex experience. I'll admit I think using the cliff set-up was a bit clunky. Would have been better to show them in an open field like we see in the trailer.

-As for England's color scheme comments...The T-Rex Kingdom had dark red text to go with the color scheme of the original Jurassic Park, while the I-Rex portion had blue to go with Jurassic World's color scheme.

-The reason I put two different experiences in here was because Triceratops Encounter had two different "theaters". You go through the two different walk ways after the Mr. DNA pre-show and meet back up for the brief Raptor demonstration before going into your respective "encounter".

-This kind of goes without saying, but the I-Rex was meant to be more "Incident and Isla Nublar" where T-Rex Kingdom has a more "Journey to the Island" flavor.

DinoInstitute

Hey everybody!

So, right now in coming to you from my bed in Aulani!:D I really haven't done anything yet, so I can't say much about the resort itself (or Hawaii really either:p) But it feels like forever since I left from New York on a (delayed:grumpy:) 12 hour flight:hungover:

Anyways, looking forward to my trip! Tomorrow I'm really just going to be hanging around the resort and working, and maybe I'll post a few pictures of what I have so far.

TheOriginalTiki

Now, let me just say that when I saw that Tiki would have to use Beverly Hills Chihuahua, I laughed so hard. :hilarious::p

I'm right there with ya. But keep in mind I designed a project based on "The Room" which was essentially Tommy Wisseau's crazy pitch for a theme park based entirely on him set on the moon (which is actually a relevant part of the plot to "The Disaster Artist" which is the tell-all book about the making of the film)

I'm as big a fan of trainwreck movies as I am "high art" movies, so this is actually a treat!

tcool

Thanks to @Zweiland, my productive day is now going to consist of watching the epic cinematic opus that is the Beverly Hills Chihahuaha trilogy. That's right...I said trilogy. Three of them. And I'm watching them all. If you're doing something terrible, ya gotta go all in with it, haha!

Could be worse there's the High School Musical Triology + Spinoff or Camp Rock 1 & 2.

DinoInstitute

image.jpg
image.jpg

DinoInstitute

Hey guys!

So, it's been about 2 and a half days here, and it's really nice! Honestly, I worry that this will make it hard for me to appreciate the polynesian the same way again:p:rolleyes:;)

But yeah, the hotel is built with such an attention to detail, intricate design, and backstory/history. It makes it a really amazing resort, as well as me enjoying it from an imagineering perspective.

As far as Hawaii itself goes, I'm on Oahu, and it is a really beautiful island. I haven't really seen it around much, but it's really nice, as well as that "vacation" and "relaxing" feeling in the air:p

Vipraa

Hey guys. Having some pretty bad computer issues today. Lost all of my progress and still dont have my computer working yet so I will not be able to turn stuff in today. Definitely regretable and I apologize to everyone but there is nothing I can do at this point. Sorry again and good luck to everyone else, proposals look good so far.

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hey guys. Having some pretty bad computer issues today. Lost all of my progress and still dont have my computer working yet so I will not be able to turn stuff in today. Definitely regretable and I apologize to everyone but there is nothing I can do at this point. Sorry again and good luck to everyone else, proposals look good so far.
Alright, thank you for letting us know @Vipraa. :)

TheOriginalTiki

Happens to the best of us, mate. Don't sweat it :) I've actually not had a computer in over a week and have been using my grandma's old desktop for podcasts and writing up projects, so I feel your pain!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom