WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

kirari

Well first off...Welcome to WDW Magic :)

Second...your English is WONDERFUL!!!:happy: If my French were even half as good as your English, I wouldn't have had to apologize all of the time way back when we were in Paris (a long time ago!). I at least always tried to speak French :)

Cali Grill is a GREAT spot to get a cake. You'll be working with the Contemporary bakery, which is also beneficial for someone traveling to the US since you can communicate with the chef by email until you're ready to place your order. i.e. not a ton of international calls.

They should have no problem with the fillings, frostings, and fondant, but they may have issue with the size if you have a more elaborate decorating idea. It's essentially a bigger canvas for their cake art. So, there's a chance they may say you need to bump up to an 8 inch cake. Still, we've seen a couple 6 inch from the Contemporary of late that had fondant and more involved décor, so they may be more accommodating with this these days.

I think $150 is a very nice budget. If they can do a 6 inch, you may actually get a cake quote under $100. The birthday message and phrase might add a slight cost, but nothing major.

The bakeries are not permitted to combine characters from different movies/cartoons, so you'd have to pick Gaston or Facilier. I think both characters could make for fun themes.

For Gaston, I keep thinking about the lines from the song, "Gaston." I see him as a 2D edible standup image on top of the cake with an edible barge behind him (roughly the size of a barge)...I see lots of eggs...antlers...and maybe even a book with a title like "How to win Belle's heart" - since we know he'd never read it.

For Facilier, my brain automatically goes to a dark take on Mardi Gras. i.e. diamond patterns in the fondant with darker hues of purple, green and gold. I see beads and masks, but the masks are more sinister looking. And a 2D edible Facilier on top, maybe even with a larger evil mask behind him.

Obviously, the more ornate you make these decorations...the more pricey it's going to be.

Hopefully, this helps get you started and please keep us posted as this sounds like it's going to be an awesome cake! :)

Well thank you for the compliments on my English. Lot of people are saying the same as you concerning French when I say that I'm French :D, and I always say that French is difficult event for us so don't feel sorry for that.

Concerning the size of the cake, my real problem is that Cruise 2 days after. I'd rather had a 8 inch cake too, but I'm not sure the cake will still good to eat by the time we will come back from Bahamas. Or maybe we will just go and have cake as breakfast, snack and Dinner on the 8th :p. Just wait and see what the bakery will tell me.

I read a looooooot of great compliments on Chef Brian's work and I'm in love will his cakes, so I really looking forward to contact him and hear about his ideas.
I have to say that I really like your Idea for Gaston, and I'll probably choose him as my BF is also named Gaston :D (it could be so fun if instead of Mickael I put Gaston for the name). I love this picture of him seating in his huge armchair in the tavern.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Well thank you for the compliments on my English. Lot of people are saying the same as you concerning French when I say that I'm French :D, and I always say that French is difficult event for us so don't feel sorry for that.

Concerning the size of the cake, my real problem is that Cruise 2 days after. I'd rather had a 8 inch cake too, but I'm not sure the cake will still good to eat by the time we will come back from Bahamas. Or maybe we will just go and have cake as breakfast, snack and Dinner on the 8th :p. Just wait and see what the bakery will tell me.

I read a looooooot of great compliments on Chef Brian's work and I'm in love will his cakes, so I really looking forward to contact him and hear about his ideas.
I have to say that I really like your Idea for Gaston, and I'll probably choose him as my BF is also named Gaston :D (it could be so fun if instead of Mickael I put Gaston for the name). I love this picture of him seating in his huge armchair in the tavern.

An 8 inch cake is a lot of cake. My husband and I got an 8" for our last trip (which was just the 2 of us), I snacked on it every night, and I still had cake leftover in the end. Although, I did make a pretty decent dent in it :D I'm also good with cake for breakfast...I think we've done 3 breakfast cakes! :)

When you put together your email, make sure to address it to Chef Brian. There's no guarantee that it won't go to Chef Donald, but the odds (at least from what I've seen) seem to be in your favor. Not that Chef Donald is bad (pretty sure he didn't make my disaster cake of 2013), but Chef Brian really seems to get my cake visions.

Be forewarned that they have a limited image library due to copywriting issues with the characters. So, you may only have 1 or 2 image options for Gaston. Still, he should be able to build the concept around that 1 image and still make it work. I can't remember seeing edible images for Gaston (just because having a cake with Bell on it is more popular), but I had a Beauty and the Beast themed cake made for one of my daughters and it had several other character images from that movie. So, if I could have Chip, Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts, that would lead me to think Gaston is possible too.

You also have a TON of time before you need to place your order, so it's good for hashing out all of the details. I still probably wouldn't hash out final details with the chef and officially place the order until mid-October. Very excited to see the end result!

kirari

Oh my! you gave the name of characters and I was just like "who are these people?" :D. Hopefully, Google is my friend (Have to say that I hate when Disney France changes characters' names, just like Mike in Monsters&Cie is called Bob in french. So weird!).

Yes I have plenty of time before placing my order (I think I will do that about the 20th of october), but I'm starting to ask questions now because I'm at the moment in Scotland while my man is in France, so it's easier to organize all his birthday day details.

I'll keep an eye to this thread (not only for my purpose but also because I LOVE cake design), and of course let you know when I'll place my order(about 240 days to wait) :).

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I know it's been a while, but I have a cake update for all of you! I just hope I'm not duplicating any cake pics (losing my mind!).

About $100 from the Contemporary bakery...
image-jpg.2695

No price on this, but 1) I know it's the Contemporary Bakery 2) this is an EXPENSIVE cake! The 2-tiers usually start at $250 and the white chocolate figures when fully painted can be priced in 3-figures (sometimes less- it varies).

image-jpg.2697

This is a new take on a mini...$65 from the GF...

IMG_1342_zpsgfuf52rl.jpg

This is also something more unique...$65 from the BW bakery! The person supplied the toys and the cake was ordered 5mos out. WOW!

IMG_1548_zpsujvzkisi.jpg

In case any of you wanted to see the Jedi Mickey topper...

IMG_1595_zps0ycs1w65.jpg

And a really funny Star Wars themed cake...I think this was $134 with the topper shown above...

IMG_1594_zpsqscipg5p.jpg

Villain themed mini cakes...$80 each...GF I believe...

cake2_zps640791d8.jpg

$90 from the Epcot bakery...it actually cost a little more than this b/c the topper lights up (extra $50)

CarriesBirthday-021.jpg

And finally...some Disney made wedding cakes. Nothing overly exciting here; however, each tier option could make good ideas for a starting point with special occasion cake decor...

6523d59d776059cd112e3d4f093cf823.jpg

63a8dc2bd6074c61dd7ef505fe88547a.jpg

a141264c4fa654b47bda725e991be611.jpg

3bd193c8f764cef24cce3c0df7274444.jpg

326cd5a6def6ac98e30191930f3d4c39.jpg

That's it! Thanks for reading :)

Betsyboo

I have a 1st birthday cake question. My DS is going to be turning 1 during our visit in June. I want to get him a smash cake. I am torn between which the better option should be - get a mini cake or regular size cake. And I would love it to be Mickey themed because it is going to be at Chef Mickey. Its overwhelming on where to even begin. I looked through many many pictures on here for some ideas. I don't want to break the bank - about $50 max. It doesn't need to really serve anyone as it is just for Colin. Any advice, direction, etc would be amazing. Thank you!!!
Oh my gosh! He'll be a year? I remember your big gender reveal last February when we were both at WDW at the same time. Congrats on everything. Just wonderful.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
A heads up cake friends...the Fairy Tale Wedding Showcase took place yesterday. I am keeping my eye out on all of the reliable resources for all of the cake pics, but for now, please enjoy this video from Anastasia and Drizella...

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Oh my gosh! He'll be a year? I remember your big gender reveal last February when we were both at WDW at the same time. Congrats on everything. Just wonderful.

Thank you so much! I know - I can't believe its been almost a year! He will be 9 months old this week! EEK!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, the first images from the Fairy Tale Wedding Showcase are starting to come in. I really hope this is just a teaser and there are more pics to follow, because this is nothing compared to pics that have come out in previous years.

For those that aren't familiar with the event, each year WDW does a wedding showcase at the GF. They display all kinds of gorgeous wedding details, done Disney style. Of course, on this thread...we are most interested in the cakes.

f1e04dfb97edba72f5bd2c3fd8d939b2.jpg

First of two projections...

bb12866309783b321a47e3e2d02ed5b0.jpg

Second...

9e4b639c41b72b5233a1f1ba208c1b5f.jpg

Now, I think this is a cake or something sweet. The carriage on top really looks like white chocolate and the little pearls remind me of the ones that top the gray stuff and some of the other popular TS desserts.

3fadab5bdad3f2331e60fa549ce0ca24.jpg

And one final cake...possibly Frozen inspired?

aad951c412974ba3b005b9fcf4b35d00.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Fingers crossed that they post more...A LOT more.

Blairnicol

Really love that Lady & The Tramp cake. I know I've seen it before, but it's just so cute. I love the dollhouse-like quality of it.

The pink ombré is nice! I also like the pastel one that looks like it has two taters of fondant, white on top of a color underneath & a design cut through the white. It's an interesting effect.

Is that a Jack Sparrow figure? You forget home much he looks like a homeless dude until you see him in monochrome, haha.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Really love that Lady & The Tramp cake. I know I've seen it before, but it's just so cute. I love the dollhouse-like quality of it.

The pink ombré is nice! I also like the pastel one that looks like it has two taters of fondant, white on top of a color underneath & a design cut through the white. It's an interesting effect.

Is that a Jack Sparrow figure? You forget home much he looks like a homeless dude until you see him in monochrome, haha.

I think the Lady & the Tramp cake concept could translate to a number of Disney themes. 101 Dalmatians, Aristocats and Mary Poppins are the first things coming to mind.

The ombre look would also translate well in other colors.

Funny...I never really looked at the white chocolate Jack Sparrow like that, but now that you mention it...he will forever be a vagrant pirate! :D

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster

Chip318

I ordered a cake last year and they never brought it out. The surprise wasn't the same after tracking it down. I wouldn't order another

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
So I can't decide. Do we get a mickey face cake, the frosted mini or the cake with the ears with Colin's name on it. I'm totally stumped! Any input?? This is a smash cake so I am thinking more of a 6" round. But then I don't want Colin to make a huge mess. So I am leaning towards the frosted mini. And there is something about the cuteness. I could then do a mickey hat topped cake for his 1st bday party. UGH! I can't decide. Can anyone help me choose? Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom