Trip Report "MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation" - Magic for a Purple Heart Vet & His Family

"MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation."

Let me set the stage before the Day One trip report, regarding this very special family and some extra magic that a few former college roommates, WDW staff, a Sea World staff member, several strangers, and myself came together to make happen...

My former college roommate married an Army helicopter pilot, and they have 2 twin girls (6) and a son (8). They've lived everywhere from North Pole Alaska to Hawaii.

Andy, (her husband) trained others to fly. A little over 2 1/2 years ago Andy was training a member of the Afghan army.

Upon landing, the helicopter exploded (an IED had been planted nearby). Andy's full story of the encounter can be found here.

Andy endured over a dozen surgeries and months in the hospital. He was awarded the Purple Heart.

Andy just retired and to celebrate they booked a WDW vacation.

I found out about their trip a month ago and went to a group on facebook to inquire how I could surprise Andy and have him participate in the MK Flag retreat.

Out of the woodwork several strangers and one former WDW employee (now high-up at Sea World and a vet himself, "Paul"), made magic happen beyond anything I could ever dream.

Update 3/2: Since this post dozens of CM's, many from DCP have reached out as well.

DAY ONE:

They checked in to Art of Animation late this afternoon (5pm).

Using his old WDW contacts, Paul arranged for "room magic" where the room featured extra special decorations.

Myself and Lori's other former college roommates as well as 2 strangers from the group (Dee and Vonni, now friends), donated $ to have a giant patriotic Mickey/Minnie themed gift basket that was provided at-cost with free delivery from Pixie-Dust Delivery Service. (The delivery service is owned by Vonni's friend).

In addition, Paul from Sea World had a special welcome package with free tickets to sea World for their last day - all expense paid, meals and all. (He also has other surprises scheduled for them on the 6th, which I'll report when it happens.)

Paul also raised $500 via crowd funding that went onto a gift card to use anywhere on their trip. This was also in the room upon arrival.

I told Lori to let me know once they check in - she knows I was up to something but I just tell her it's all Mickey and his friends including Shamu.

Tonight she messaged me they are overwhelmed with how much stuff was in the room - and the gift card that Paul raised had them speechless.

They are now unpacking and grabbing dinner so that's all for day one unless a surprise happens that we don't know about.

- End of Day One -

Backstory and acknowledgements:

A couple weeks ago I messaged Paul their itinerary with all reserved meals and meet and greets. He forward this on to his WDW contacts and they are lined up the magic - THE MAGIC IS ABOUT TO GO DOWN! :)

I also want to recognize @akayw0718 she has CM friends at WDW entertainment and was kind enough to forward the family's pictures and names along with itinerary info I gave her for a little extra special attention and we're hoping some of the face characters will recognize them by name should they cross paths.

Paul has said there's more magic I don't even know about and that Lori needs to have her camera at-the-ready at all times.

I CANNOT WAIT to see what magic is in store for this very special family.

I love to pull a good harmless prank on friends but this is better beyond any explanation.

Paul, and everyone who's helped to make the Miller's trip magical had me verklempt all week everytine I recieved a message about what is in store for the family.

We've dubbed this whole thing,
"MISSION POSSIBLE: The Miller's Magical Vacation."

If you are in the parks this week and see the Miller's don't hesitate to say hi and thank Andy (and Lori - she is former Army National Guard). I've attached a pic of the family below.

Stay tuned for more "mission debriefings" thoughout the week!

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Scott10

Wow!!! I am not at Disney, but want to say a big Thank You to Andy and all of our service men and women! What these people do for their country is amazing beyond words! I hope the magic completely overtakes this family and they have the type of vacation that they deserve after such trying circumstances!!!

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
More pics and correction:

The gift basket with the Mickey and Minnies (from myself and Lri's roommates and two other women), came tonight as they were tucking the kids in bed.

They also had some toys waiting for them in the room upon check-in.

image.jpg
Something tells me Paul had something to do with that magic!

The $500 gift card was donated by an anonymous family whose boys raise $ for various causes.

In addition Paul crowd funded $200 that was also in a separate gift card.

Shout out to CM Nathan Bull at Art of Animation for pulling some extra magic on his end with his team!

TOMORROW THEY ARE AT EPCOT. If you're there and see them, please say hi!!!

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
OMG, so excited by your post, I was wondering how things were going. I'm so happy to read you guys were able to make some magic happen! Got tears in my eyes! Can't wait to hear the rest.

This happened late yesterday so I will have updates each day as she sends me pics/notes. There's a team of people who put all this together and we all want to see their surprises (some magic Paul's contacts at WDW haven't even told me about - so fun!), so that is why Lori will have her camera at the ready all the time.

Last edited:

mrdrift

This is a really awesome trip report start. Tell Andy and Lori thank you for there service and sacrifice they have made for our country. We solute them and all other service men and women that have served for our freedoms. I hope the magical surprises keeps coming their whole trip. Following along for this great and honored adventure.

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
Instant tears! What an incredible story and a beautiful family. Many thanks to them for their service and many thanks to you and your team for providing these magical moments for the family.

Paul at Sea World, formerly WDW, is like the "Orlando Oprah!" That's my nickname I've given him! ;). He is the real hero on the magic end of things - he has so many contacts and as a result, so much magic is going down I can't even keep up with it!

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
image.jpg
MILLER FAMILY DAY 2:

Spoke with Lori tonight here's an update. Not as detailed as other reports since I'm not with them but writing some highlights - she said she will get me more pics and I'll post them when I get them.

She was so excited and overwhelmed that it was hard to keep up and I'm sure in missing stuff out. If I rememebr I will come back and add later.

Today's highlights at EPCOT:

They had several CM's welcome them and thank Andy for his service by name. They were granted extra fast passes and did all the rides they had on their "hit list" and then some!

For lunch, Lori and the girls did Askerhus (sp) with the Princesses and Andy and Aaron did a "man's lunch" at Morocco.

They met the fab five!

At the hotel they received a special drawing from the AoA team (attached).

It's the girls birthday (they are fraternal twins), so at dinner tonight the entire staff surprised them with Mickey cakes and sang to the girls. They were also showered with stickers all day.

She said even though the kids were pooped at the end of the day, all 3 kids were skipping together ahead of Andy and Lori and she said it was like magic.

They are so very happy!

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Original Poster
:D

Hoping that Goofy interaction was as good as I was promised it would be.

@akayw0718 :

She did say Goofy was "THE hit" out of everyone they met yesterday!
She didn't give me a ton of details, but said Goofy gave them extra special attention and he was hands down their favorite at EPCOT and very sweet and funny with the kids. :happy:

@akayw0718 - Thank you for passing on the info to your famous friends! I think when we last messaged it was before I found out you were applying with WDW in Florida - you had all that going on and you still took the time - it was SO sweet of you! Thank you! :cat::cat::cat:

Please forward/share "a thank you" with Goofy. Lori did say she was worried one of the girls would be scared but I guess that wasn't even a concern once they met him. It may seem like a small thing, but that was one of the "magic" things she referenced when I asked, "so what magic did you encounter today?!" Goofy, - you da man! (or dog?) - You rock! ;):inlove:

I wish I had more pics and specific stories to share but when we talked yesterday and I asked her what were their highlights from their first park-day she said, "It's amazing here - this place is great and overwhelming and I don't know where to start!" (It's their first time visit for all of them).

Yesterday I had a CM private message me yesterday who works Photopass at AK at the Outpost and he asked me if they plan to hit the Character Outpost... I checked their itinarary and the planets have aligned - he will be working thame a outpost that day, during their over their FP+ meet and greet time - so he'll be their photographer!! He was so excited! He's giving the characters' (Goofy, Pluto and I think Donald, Minnie and Mickey?) a heads-up on the Millers so when they arrive the characters are going to salute Andy. :)

This SO much fun! I now know what I want to be when "I grow-up!" ;)
I want to be a Fairy Godmother.
Is that a real thing???

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom