Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Martiyoman

oh... no it was fine... I loved working for disney... i just don't get why they push the good show to cast but don't care about show as much themselves.

I don't like it, at all, but there's something to be said for interaction. I personally would prefer a broken prop on a ride and a CM who stays in character and makes me laugh and talks up the attraction to sound really awesome, as opposed to a dull and uninformed CM working for a perfectly maintained ride. Not to say what disney's doing is the right way to do it, but I understand the push for CM show quality.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney has already approved a turf like material called ForeverLawn. It was used (and will be used again I believe) at the playgrounds at the Flower & Garden Festival. It doesn't get nearly as hot as AstroTurf and drains very well.
We shall see F&H temps of April May are not August and last year the playground turf took a beating. Summer downpours and heat will be telling.

erclvrb18

I don't like it, at all, but there's something to be said for interaction. I personally would prefer a broken prop on a ride and a CM who stays in character and makes me laugh and talks up the attraction to sound really awesome, as opposed to a dull and uninformed CM working for a perfectly maintained ride. Not to say what disney's doing is the right way to do it, but I understand the push for CM show quality.
ohh of corse! I agree... just wish they would have thought of a better way to do those two poles on either side... its the only feature that I don't like about it.

The Empress Lilly

It's rubbish. Like they unloaded a giant steaming pile of horse manure on the once magnificent hub.

Main-Street-USA_Full_23397.jpg;width=1276

Screenshot-2014-08-17-09.01.56.jpg

ky032210h.jpg

fngoofy

Speaking of the awesome parade lighting rigs, does anyone know what the green device is in this picture on the cantilevered arm (that kinda looks like a security camera, but is solid green)?

Main-Street-USA_Full_23412.jpg
As some said wifi and also I would bet RFID reader / broadcaster for the MagicBands and for glow with the show items.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Speaking of the awesome parade lighting rigs, does anyone know what the green device is in this picture on the cantilevered arm (that kinda looks like a security camera, but is solid green)?

Main-Street-USA_Full_23412.jpg

Could be a WiFi AP or MM+ transceiver.

Sage of Time

Unfair to compare it to this once tranquil setting. Compared to the hub circa 2014, I think it's s big improvement, so far. Great pics though!
Quite agreed.

This doesn't compare at all to the original and lush Hub of the MK before 2005 and the Great Tree Removal of Doom. Our Hub actually rivaled Disneyland, in terms of trees.

But this new hub? over the concrete wasteland we had from 2005-2014. This is wonderful and I really really really like it. The aesthetics are quire lovely and well suited for a park at the end of MSUSA.

dhall

Telescoping the poles would have been cool, but the problem is that the Utilidors are directly underneath that area. I don't think that would have been very feasible. They are pretty limited in how far they can dig down.
Most maps show only one utilidor, directly underneath MainStreet and the old bridge, then through the center of the hub only. There should be no interference with anything that lies along the perimieter of the old hub, and certainly not in any of the new work.

Cesar R M

Most maps show only one utilidor, directly underneath MainStreet and the old bridge, then through the center of the hub only. There should be no interference with anything that lies along the perimieter of the old hub, and certainly not in any of the new work.
they could also develop a collapsing tower that hides SIDEWAYS not up and down, they could hide in a corner of the planters.

CTXRover

We went to MK this evening for dinner and the fireworks, so booked a FP+ to try the new area. I must say it was the most pleasant fireworks watching experience of any of my visits. Not sure if they will keep the numbers as low, but it was suprisingly surreal to sit down and watch the whole fireworks show without people pushing and shoving and blocking your view with kids on shoulders or big ipad screens. One of our family members has trouble standing for long periods of time and uses a wheelchair. It was like a whole new experience to see the show for her and the rest of us. Also, it was kind of cute to see families lounging on the turf in the middle of the park waiting for the show.I hope they keep the FP+ limited, as I would definitely want to do again. Didn't seem like a waste of a FP+ to us.

dstrawn9889

there are rooms off of the main utilidoor: Dacs, the creature warehouse, breakrooms....

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
We went to MK this evening for dinner and the fireworks, so booked a FP+ to try the new area. I must say it was the most pleasant fireworks watching experience of any of my visits. Not sure if they will keep the numbers as low, but it was suprisingly surreal to sit down and watch the whole fireworks show without people pushing and shoving and blocking your view with kids on shoulders or big ipad screens. One of our family members has trouble standing for long periods of time and uses a wheelchair. It was like a whole new experience to see the show for her and the rest of us. Also, it was kind of cute to see families lounging on the turf in the middle of the park waiting for the show.I hope they keep the FP+ limited, as I would definitely want to do again. Didn't seem like a waste of a FP+ to us.
Awesome! Sounds like this FP+ viewing area may just work as intended.

I especially love the pics of families sitting on the grass mid-day. It's called a theme PARK for a reason.

This is occasionally my iPhone wallpaper:

image.jpg

Next Big Thing

I would argue that they are providing a $100/day experience. $100 is pretty cheap for an entire day of entertainment. That price would maybe get you a ticket to a 1.5 hr concert by a major artist on ticketmaster in the cheap seats. If you wanted to go see a Broadway show on $100, forget it. And considering that most people are buying multi-day tickets, the actual price per day is probably much cheaper than going to a concert and you get far more entertainment time. Entertainment is just expensive.
I spent $350 to see Justin Timberlake this past year. He put on an amazing 3 hours show with risers and a moving stage over the audience and I had seats in the 10th row. $350/3 comes out to about $116 per hour (plus he had a great DJ beforehand and we got a bunch of goodies with our ticket package. He's an amazing entertainer and I thought every dollar spent was well worth it. (just for comparison's sake, a day at MK is $35/hour if you only spend 3 hours there as I did at the concert... very few people go to a theme park for that short of a time).

Given that WDW does not have Broadway or Mega-Pop star caliber performers working there, i'm not exactly sure it is the same type of comparison. I still think it is worth it, but not in the same way as you would judge a concert or sporting event. Someone who goes to a sporting event may not view spending $100 on a Broadway or Theme park ticket as worth it and vice-versa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom