Indiana Jones Adventure - The Temple's 20th Anniversary

Figments Friend

Original Poster
As Sallah has often been heard to say....

"Welcome my friends..." !

Welcome indeed, friends, to this special thread celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Disneyland's spectacular 'Indiana Jones Adventure' Attraction!

Yes, it is hard to believe it in some respects, but it was 20 years ago this week that one of the greatest themed experiences ever built first started rolling the Troop Transports through the mysterious Temple of Mara filled with curious thrill seekers.

A amazing achievement at that time in both ride design, themed execution, technology, and overall scale and scope.
Even today, in 2015, the Attraction still stands tall at the top of many a list.
A fan favorite, and still packin' em' in 20 years later.
The last truly great and bonified 'E-Ticket' to be built at Disneyland to date...and one of my personal faves.
If 'Adventure' has a name in Adventureland, then it certainly must be named 'Indiana Jones'.

So let's celebrate the occasion with a thread dedicated to this fantastic spectacle.
Share what you wish..your memories, your photos, your own personal adventures with Dr. Jones.

First, some appropriate atmospheric music to listen to while viewing this thread to set the mood -

Now venture forth, explorer....and enjoy.
Watch out for snakes, though.

Before the Attraction opened, The Disney Company had a impressive marketing campaign to promote it.
They knew they had a winner on their hands, and went all out creating some neat promotional items and marketing materials.
The Attraction opened during Disneyland's 40th Anniversary, so the promotion for both the Park and the new adventure in Adventureland went hand in hand.
'40 Years of Adventure' was the theme, and a Jones-inspired logo directly tied it into the opening of it's newest experience.

There were some great print ads run in magazines at the time in the months leading up to it's March 3rd Grand Opening.
'The Biggest Ride In 40 years' it was called....and here are some of the neat ads from that time period.

First, a eye-catching full page ad promoting the March 3rd opening.

Now how about this neat Delta Airlines print ad for the opening of the Attraction, back when they were still 'The Official Airline' of the Disney Theme Parks.

Remember 'Disney Magazine'...?
The Spring 1995 issue had a cover story on the new Attraction, which included some nice photos inside.
At the time this cover shoot happened, the Attraction was not yet open and this is actually a clever 'composite shot'.
Only the Troop Transport with the Magazine editors was photographed here.
The image of Mara and the walls from the interior of the Attraction are from a model, with the 'sky' element a graphic overlay.
Still a cool looking cover -

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Now for those who were around and aware at the time, who can possibly forget the memorable television special "The Making of Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure" that was broadcast to promote the Attraction back in the day?

Then CEO Michael Eisner hosts as the show takes viewers into the Temple of The Forbidden Eye and provides a 'behind the scenes' peek at how this new marvel was created.

Indiana's companions in adventure Sallah and Marion appear in the program as well, along with a favorite Imagineer to guide the way.

Once the public saw this special, excitement for the opening of this new wonder went through the roof !

If you need your memory jogged....or just want to relive the days of how the Disney Company used to promote it's Theme Parks to the masses, here is a video you might want to re-watch a few times -

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Just about everything associated with the 'Indiana Jones Adventure' was top-notch terrific.
Even the Attraction poster was stunning, courtesy of Drew Struzan -

There is a great story Drew often tells about the creation of this poster.
Somehow Harrison Ford had not been contacted to 'okay' his image being used for this poster before it was issued.
Once he learned Drew was doing the artwork for it, Harrison had no worries and had full confidence he would be represented well..and basically okay'ed it without having to look at it!

For those not familiar with Drew's work, he has designed many movie posters and book covers for the Indiana Jones series as well as many other famous films.
One of the most well known and respected graphic artists for feature film posters and more.
Have a look at a sampling of his work here -
http://www.drewstruzan.com/illustrated/portfolio/

A alternative image, used for promotional purposes for Disneyland back in the day done by another poster artist.
Always thought this image would make a neat t-shirt.

Speaking of promotional items....
That is another aspect of this Attraction that was top notch terrific.
A slew of really cool collectibles that were released to coincide with the opening.

A fantastic Cast Member wristwatch -

And how about this special Commemorative Ticket issued, encouraging adventure seekers to follow in the footsteps of their favorite aquirer of rare antiquities, Dr. Jones -

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

In preparation for your journey into the unknown realms of the Temple of The Forbidden Eye, this handy decoder card was passed out to Guests during the first few years the Attraction was open.
One could use it to pass the time while standing in the long, highly detailed queue waiting for your turn to ride by deciphering the *Maraglyphics* carved on the walls.

Some great hidden messages could be found, and can still be found, by looking over the walls of the Temple.
Various *warnings* and sound advice to avoid at all costs the wrath of the deity within is chiseled into the walls for intrepid visitors.
Keen eyed fans will also find several initials of key people involved in creating this Attraction carved into the walls, particularly in the queue area that contains the triangular *Obelisk Of Doom*.

A Imagineer named Chuck Ballew spent a lot of time coming up with a useable *alphabet* to enable this to be done.

A photo i snapped on a recent visit showing a message you can have fun deciphering yourself at home!

Years of planning went into the creation of this contained spectacle, and it definitely shows.
Part of the creation process involves making models of proposed concepts.

This model made by Imagineer John Stone represents the version we all came to know and love.
It is one of a few he personally made to give as gifts to the key people involved in the creation of the epic *Indiana Jones Adventure*.
The model even has a working Boulder Room, with a sliding pair of walls!
Awesome!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

What wonders lie within.....or perils are to be had behind these stone monuments hidden deep in the Indian jungle.
Henry Jones Junior knows!

( Photo from a recent venture )

Dr. Jones and Sallah greet the masses of the 1930s who have heard the tales of glorious riches, eternal youth, and future knowledge to be had at the Temple and want a taste of it for themselves!
A neat still photo from the production shoot for the pre-boaring safety *film* shown in the queue area.

( Photo from the Disney Parks Blog )

Last edited:

mickEblu

Great post ! Do you know if they will be giving away anything at the AP event tommrow / Wednesday ? Maybe an anniversary poster like they did with Splash mountain last year ?

Californian Elitist

Great post ! Do you know if they will be giving away anything at the AP event tommrow / Wednesday ? Maybe an anniversary poster like they did with Splash mountain last year ?

I wouldn't be surprised if an Indy face character popped up.

I was going, but an opportunity I couldn't pass up came about, so I'm no longer going. Endor, did you ever decide if you were going or not?

cheezbat

Love this ride. Still my favorite to this day.

Dear WDW...
Please build a clone of this. It's better than anything you've built in the past fifteen years.

Sincerely,
A guy begging for a real E-ticket.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
This model clearly shows where they apparently ran out of money (or imagination) after the skull room scene behind the giant Mara.

I find the 'Boulder Room' finale one of highlights.
Interested in hearing why you have this impression, Endor.

Is it the spare looking 'Rat Room' and painted skeleton designs on the walls in the 'Blow Dart Room' that gives you the impression of them 'running out of money''?
I could understand the slight disappointment one might have at seeing what some may consider 'fun house' paintings on the walls instead of sculpted rock and 'real' dimensional skeletons.

With any project, budget is allotted and the designers have to decide how to implement that money.
If losing a more detailed 'Blow Dart Room' so that they could produce a more impressive ' Mara's Domain Room' ( aka 'the Big Room' ) then i am happy with that trade off.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Great post ! Do you know if they will be giving away anything at the AP event tomorrow / Wednesday ? Maybe an anniversary poster like they did with Splash mountain last year ?

Anything is possible, but i am sure something special shall be revealed.
Should be a great night with a full attendance.

During the 10th Anniversary back in 2005, there was a special merchandise event held that included some neat surprises, including a appearance by Tony Baxter ( dressed as Indy, below ) and 'Hallah', Sallah's cousin, twice removed! -

A fun and through write up can be seen here, along with some nice photos of all that went on that night.
Well worth checking out!

http://www.i5nomads.com/disneyland/2005/indy/event.html

A even more through overview of the 10th Anniversary Event, in even greater detail with lots of photos.
Enjoy!
http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlr/indyevent.html

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
^ I could be wrong, but I believe Endor is speaking of the room that is nothing by darkness, right before the dart scene . Indeed the room has nothing in it which is why it's so dark, minus the rat projection. That's what always stands out to me, anyway.

Tokyo DisneySea added an extra show scene/effect in this room to not just leave it empty, the smoke ring. As well as sculpted figures in the dart room.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well today is the day, intrepid explorers!

Twenty years ago today..Indiana taught the band to play....uh, wait...

'Indiana Jones Adventure - The Temple of The Forbidden Eye' has it's Grand Opening!

A special Jones inspired opening entertained the press and the crowds that had gathered to be among the first to experience this all new Attraction at Disneyland.
Michael Eisner, 'Indy', George Lucas, and a hostess use the golden idol to open the way to adventure...

A short video showcasing the highlights of that Opening Ceremony -

Full page advert used to promote the Grand Opening -

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is a lengthy ( hour+ ) video featuring the 1995 television special by K-CAL Tv promoting Disneyland's 40th Anniversary, with a very healthy tie in to the then all new
'Indiana Jones Adventure'.
It provides a fun look back at what the Park was like when the Attraction first opened, as well as some archival film from Disneyland's opening day.

The best part however is the footage related to the 'Temple of The Forbidden Eye'.
Skip ahead to 26:33 to see some great promotional footage that includes the backstory to the Show, interviews from Opening Day, a peek behind the scenes at the making of this Attraction, and a random but entertaining ride-through with a Dr. Jones lookalike.

If you skip ahead to 44:58, you will be treated to the great promotional special ' The Making of Disneyland's 'Indiana Jones Adventure' that aired on The Disney Channel back in 1995 that i had shared here earlier, but with a much better picture quality.
Highly recommend a watching today, particularly this segment!
:)

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I remember getting in line for Indy in front of the Main Street Bakery, and we thought we had gotten there early to avoid the long line! That was a great time in Disneyland's history!

I remember the Adventureland walkway was nothing but switchbacking queue for the ride, I wonder how people got to the Jungle Cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom