So Disney IS A Bargain?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
False. Six Flags is very popular. As an annual pass holder I can attest it is more densely crowded than MK at times (weekends are more dense than MK during the week (in May or October since that is my only WDW experience).

Now I didn't say MORE people were there. I said it was more dense. More people per square foot. Comparing actual head counts I imagine MK has a population edge.

Six Flags isn't exactly cheap either. Still requires a decent amount of demand/craving to go there.

Now the bonus question would be, what would happen to Six Flags if Disney built a park in the DFW metroplex?
Six Flags would go bankrupt again if Disney were within 1,000 miles let alone 20 miles. Oh wait, they have and they probably will again. The Six Flags in DFW is nothing short of awful.

Of course some people go to Six Flags...

Go look at my attendance post...Six Flags isn't even on the radar.

jloucks

On a serious note, why in the world would I be talking about attendance on global terms????????? Why even assume that?

Because it is funny, and follows your logic on comparing Six Flags to WDW on pure head counts rather than venue capacity.

Disnee4Me

I look at it this way, one day seeing a Broadway Play at $100/pp for a few hours of entertainment vs. $100/pp for 12 hours of entertainment. $100/day for all you can get at WDW is a LOT of fun and entertainment.

sjhym333

And Six Flags Great Adventure opens in April and Closes in October and is open weekends only for some of those months. Six Flags Over Georgia is open on weekends only in March. So how can you compare them to a resort that is open every day?

jloucks

Six Flags would go bankrupt again if Disney were within 1,000 miles let alone 20 miles. Oh wait, they have and they probably will again. The Six Flags in DFW is nothing short of awful.

Business models do not support your statement about awfulness. At all. Unsupported statement of fact.

Demand is still high. Prices are high. Business proof not awful.

jloucks

My quick research show Six Flags @ #5 w' 26,000,000+ in attendance in 2013. Hardly a low number and hardly off the radar.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I like most of the other tickets that have been mentioned because I can easily do a grab and dash when some fool stupidly holds the tickets in their hands. Thus, I get more value for them. Not only are the new Disney rubber bands hard to remove from the wrists of unsuspecting rubes and hicks, but I am oftentimes stuck with terrible dining reservations that I would have never booked. Don't even get me started on that moron that got a fastpass for the Great Movie Ride. Who waits for that?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Business models do not support your statement about awfulness. At all. Unsupported statement of fact.

Demand is still high. Prices are high. Business proof not awful.
The numbers don't really support what you're saying either. You say Six Flags is more crowded than MK? I find it hard to believe.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is the most visited park and MK has 6 times the annual visitors based on 2013 attendance figures.

Six Flags only recently went bankrupt and although they are doing better, are still not even on the radar of theme park profits. Six flags earns about $75 million in profit on $1b in revenue annually. Disney Parks do about $2.66b profit on $15b in revenue. Think about that....that's 35 times more profit and twice as much profit margin.

Sure, some people go to Six Flags, just like the state fair. I can tell you, comparing Six Flags to Disney is an absolute joke. They are in similar businesses, but it's like comparing 5th grade basketball to the NBA.

I've been to Six Flags pre and post bankruptcy...it's pretty awful. Maybe that's too harsh. It just isn't comparable. People go because they can't get to Disney and need some kind of entertainment locally. Unfortunately, Disney can't be everywhere.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
My quick research show Six Flags @ #5 w' 26,000,000+ in attendance in 2013. Hardly a low number and hardly off the radar.
That's correct. I just posted the financials and Six Flags has had exactly 0 growth in attendance since 2008. You noticed that as well? Also, the number you're looking at compares all six flags locations, which would mean you have to include Disney's locations as well. Now we're talking 132M for Disney to 26M for Six Flags.

I'm sure they're shaking, but your point is taken.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Yes, the one by us (Dallas TX) closes for refurb January and most of February.
It's one of the things I wish Disney would adopt on a smaller scale. Disney should close at least a few days per year...then they could fix some of the issues that need fixing!

raven

It's one of the things I wish Disney would adopt on a smaller scale. Disney should close at least a few days per year...then they could fix some of the issues that need fixing!

Totally agree but you know they won't because they couldn't bear even one day loss of income.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Totally agree but you know they won't because they couldn't bear even one day loss of income.
And it makes me so sad...they could financially close up shop with almost no negative effect, but the greed has taken over.

I've even said on this board I would be OK with completely closing EPCOT (even during my personal trips) to revitalize it.

DManRightHere

Finally, someone publishes a reasonable take on Disney, using actual experience from going to the parks. This is specifically about Disneyland, but the point is made.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-disney-is-a-bargain-even-at-105-a-day-2015-02-26

I've been saying this for years, but mostly for a week or so vacation. No one seems to agree :). I've booked a las vegas trip at $140 per person flight and trying to get a full weeks activities while keeping the bill lower than the cost of a Disney world trip. It's going to be close (not including gamblig money). I'm sure it isn't going to help going to Disneyland for 2 days either..

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I've been saying this for years, but mostly for a week or so vacation. No one seems to agree :). I've booked a las vegas trip at $140 per person flight and trying to get a full weeks activities while keeping the bill lower than the cost of a Disney world trip. It's going to be close (not including gamblig money). I'm sure it isn't going to help going to Disneyland for 2 days either..
The key in Vegas is gambling money. For me, Vegas is an armpit and the only way to stay sane is gambling. There's only so many magic shows, Cirque Du Soleil, and shopping you can do. And those are the best shows...I paid like $175/ticket 5 years ago for "O" and wasn't impressed for the money. I saw Copperfield too...gave it a meh.

Vegas is pretty cheap if you take out gambling and you don't stay 5 star. I've stayed at Bellagio (overrated) and Wynn (much nicer). I think I'd do 4 seasons next time but I have little desire to go back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom