Castaway Cay guest alleged to have drowned

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
They had a drowning incident with a guest and another that they had to call the paramedics on while at Castaway Cay last week. Scary and the perfect reason why I get the travel insurance for a cruise....

Pam

Tom

Beta Return
They had a drowning incident with a guest and another that they had to call the paramedics on while at Castaway Cay last week. Scary and the perfect reason why I get the travel insurance for a cruise....

Pam

Agreed! Insurance is a must when we cruise. You never know what can happen....to you, or to the ship in general.

Ralphlaw

Someone died on ship while we were at CC. Stuff like this happens more than you think.

38 is way too young to go, and I feel for the family.

Not to be coldly statistical about this, but each person lives approximately 4160 weeks in their lives (52 weeks a year X 80 years = 4,160 weeks in a lifetime). If there were 4160 people on a ship, that means mathematically on average, one person per weeklong trip would die. If there are 2080 on the ship, one would die every two weeks. Obviously able bodied people on vacation are far less likely to die than bed-ridden people in hospitals or nursing homes, but eventually the law of averages catches up.

A cruise can be stressful on the body, from the long flight or drive to Florida that can bring blood clots, to the change in daily schedule, the climate change, the rich food, the alcohol, etc. . . Also, people on vacation take risks, such as swimming long distances, and being more physical with kids or grandkids. What was physically doable a few years earlier is now beyond you.

I once took a college sponsored tour of DC, and one retired professor who was doing fine at home found himself gasping for air through airports and various landmarks. Within a week after being home, he was in a nursing home with lung and heart problems. He died within a year.

Dying a slow death is terrible, but dying at the end of a wonderful cruise with kids and grandkids is not a bad way to go. When it's time to punch my ticket, sign me up, just not too soon. Again, 38 was way too young. I hope the family is coping well.

wdwstateofmind

38 is way too young to go, and I feel for the family.

Not to be coldly statistical about this, but each person lives approximately 4160 weeks in their lives (52 weeks a year X 80 years = 4,160 weeks in a lifetime). If there were 4160 people on a ship, that means mathematically on average, one person per weeklong trip would die. If there are 2080 on the ship, one would die every two weeks. Obviously able bodied people on vacation are far less likely to die than bed-ridden people in hospitals or nursing homes, but eventually the law of averages catches up.

A cruise can be stressful on the body, from the long flight or drive to Florida that can bring blood clots, to the change in daily schedule, the climate change, the rich food, the alcohol, etc. . . Also, people on vacation take risks, such as swimming long distances, and being more physical with kids or grandkids. What was physically doable a few years earlier is now beyond you.

I once took a college sponsored tour of DC, and one retired professor who was doing fine at home found himself gasping for air through airports and various landmarks. Within a week after being home, he was in a nursing home with lung and heart problems. He died within a year.

Dying a slow death is terrible, but dying at the end of a wonderful cruise with kids and grandkids is not a bad way to go. When it's time to punch my ticket, sign me up, just not too soon. Again, 38 was way too young. I hope the family is coping well.
38 is young to go, but I look at it this way: unfortunately, I just don't think into things as much as you (not saying that's a bad thing), but I guess I have a little more lax view on life. There are billions of stars and millions of planets, but one Earth. Maybe there is life in the universe and maybe we're a freak accident that occurred somewhere along the time-space continuum. 38 is young and I'm sure drowning isn't exactly the best way to go, but there are plenty of worse places it could have happened. In the end out of all the places he actually got to experience whether they exist or not, this was the place. That's pretty awesome considering the vastness of the universe. Even better, out of all the species he could have been on this planet, he was blessed to be a human. Cognitive thought is an amazingly unique thing, think about it, you're one of the only species on the planet that can feel whatever 'love' or 'happiness' is and be able to put words to it. I dunno about you, but because of this we should live everyday to it's fullest, even if it is only for 38 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom