A Whole New World: My Vision for a Renovated Walt Disney World

Which Mythica should be part of my Disney World plan?

• Total voters

ScorpionX

Guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle. S.W. Wilson of Ideal Buildout has recently uploaded his own take on WDW's 5th gate. This park is also called Mythica, but here, the name makes a bit of sense, since the park focuses around the many myths that make up the history of our world--from King Arthur to the ancient Egyptians.

Look here for more information: http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com/2015/02/wdw-fifth-gate-mythica.html

Now, I'm hard-pressed: I love the new idea, but then again, what of the original Mythica in these plans? (the one with a beanstalk for its icon and featuring lands themed around the villains, Star Wars, some of Disney's fairy-tale features, Greek myth and Big Hero 6).

Well, to be quite honest, I think the new Mythica has a better set-up than the original. And I don't know if I already told you this, but the original Mythica plan was for a potential 3rd gate for Disneyland, hence why they have Star Wars and Marvel in the plan. With this new Mythica, we can keep Star Wars and Marvel in Disney's Hollywoodland, and expand on a couple of extraordinary new ideas. After all, many people complain that Disney World doesn't have many original rides nowadays. Plus, both parks have a Greek myth section.

And yes, although Britain, Egypt and Norway are already represented in World Showcase, the World Showcase areas mainly just highlight their culture. These new areas take us to worlds we've only learned about in history class.

But, I'm still a bit apprehensive about giving up some of the work I've put into this (but I am already thinking about moving a couple things to the other WDW parks). Now, most times, I've already put my thoughts into my decisions, but this time, I want you to help me out.

Using the poll above, help me decide: which Mythica should be part of my plan for Walt Disney World?
DisneyMan, this is your project. The original Mythica was your own idea. It's a big part of what makes this thread uniquely you.

orlando678-

DisneyMan, this is your project. The original Mythica was your own idea. It's a big part of what makes this thread uniquely you.

Well actually the last park was also based on a park from idealbuildout but i think that doesnt matter, as long as you still add in your own ideas. Id either keep it or make a mix

BigHero4

Love the idea of giving Big Hero 6 a bigger presence in the parks. Great movie with currently little park presence.
Now that you bring it up, I'm actually leaning towards this "Madhouse" idea. Is there any further information on this sort of idea?

Now then, let's move on.
San Fransokyo
outybi9zysvvlgldjlij.jpg

San Fransokyo is the realm seen in Disney's latest animated adventure Big Hero 6. When I first saw the movie, I immediately fell in love with the settings and characters of the movie. In fact, after just one showing, it became my second-favorite CGI movie (behind Finding Nemo). In that sense, I am excited to bring this world to life here at Mythica. I originally intended to have this area replace the Streets of America at Disney's Hollywoodland, but I figured it would be difficult to put on the Spectacle of Dancing Lights with new buildings like the ones seen in the picture. So, I moved the concept here.

Entering the area from Mythos, you'll notice the area is very similar to New York Street at Disney's Hollywoodland, complete with various buildings only there for show. The buildings are decked out with blends of both American architecture and Japanese architecture. The first major leg of street is home to just various buildings. But along one of the street corners is the Lucky Cat Cafe, the restaurant owned by Hiro's Aunt Cass. This is a place to get your fix on coffee and sweets, as well as those infamous chicken wings served with that insanely hot sauce ("We are going to feel these things tomorrow.").

San_Fransokyo_Cass's_Cafe.jpg
At the far edge of town is Fred's Mansion. This serves as not only a walk-through, but inside the gang's meeting place, you can meet up with the Big Hero 6 themselves--Hiro, Baymax, GoGo, Wasabi, Honey Lemon and Fred.
images
The streets of San Fransokyo are always abuzz with activity (including daily streetmosphere demonstrations by the town’s would-be villains, always thwarted by their own illusions of grandeur). While wondering through the city streets, you may notice a structure at the far back of town: that structure is the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology.
02MURPHY5-articleLarge.jpg
Inside, Hiro invites you to hop on-board a special prototype ride-vehicle. It's the best way to get in on Big Hero 6: The Adventure, a breathtaking ride through a new and original superhero caper. This 21st century dark ride (featuring a KUKA Robo-Arm conveyance) sends us sidekicks alike on a soaring, unbelievable adventure to save the day once and for all. The ride even includes a flight through the city!

The ride exits out into the Institute Gifts shop, selling merchandise revolving around the movie.

But however...just beyond the city of San Fransokyo, just pass the bridge that looks like the Golden Gate, is the mysterious Akuma Island. This is home to the Microbot family roller coaster. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: board a ride vehicle powered by Microbots, programmed to seek out Yokai and make sure his evildoings are stopped. Aboard this coaster, each car spins wildly as it blasts through the jungle, narrowly escaping Yokai's attacks. If you can outwit the villain, you'll get a nice view of the Big Hero 6 giving him what-for at the ride's climax.

Nearby the Beanstalk, you may notice a futuristic set-up. That's because students from the Institute have set up a camp research site to learn more about the Beanstalk.

San Fransokyo
1) Big Hero 6: The Adventure
2) Microbot Coaster

Shopping
1) Institute Gifts

Dining
1) Lucky Cat Cafe

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Well, my friends, I'm back with another update. Ever since this thread came along (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wasted-space-behind-fantasyland.896853/), my plans for Toontown have pretty much been dampened. Why? Because the area I put Toontown in is actually a fallout zone for the fireworks. So, that could possibly be a bad thing.

Well, I guess that means there's only one thing to do: hop on the same bandwagon as everyone else, and put Mickey and his friends in a circus-themed dark ride for the circus area. (Besides, I already have a Toontown-esque area in my Disney's Hollywoodland plan: Timeless River).

Check out the new ride here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ovated-walt-disney-world.893775/#post-6455028

DisneyManOne

Original Poster

Looking back, I should have said this sooner, but the original Mythica idea was inspired by S.W. Wilson's idea for a 3rd gate for Disneyland. I basically copied the basic concept of the park, added in a few twists and boom. Besides, I think there are more opportunities for Star Wars and Marvel in Disney's Hollywood Studios, and I could move Journey to the Center of the Earth to the Magic Kingdom, much like the man behind the Imagineerland blog did.

And to be quite honest, I honestly love the idea of a park centered around the ancient civilizations of the world.

Here's S.W. Wilson's idea for Mythica...
Blog%2B-%2BWDW%2BMythica.PNG
The genesis for this exercise was seeing photo updates of DisneySprings progress, with the 1970s/80s suburban sprawl Official WDW Hotels and Sun Bank always popping up in the background, ruining the visage. Here, we can fix that and replace all those concrete & glass mid-rises with a unique, tier I park. A strip of forest beyond the park helps isolate the mundane sprawl of Orlando & I-4 from the utopian escapism found within the WDW borders.

In this fantasy future, the monorail system is expanded to service the new park and Springs district, with the station designed to complement the Marketplace architecture. Guests at both resorts (Oxbridge and Saratoga Springs) walk to this station to reach other parts of WDW. The park also comes with two new parking structures (only “D” visible here) and a shuttle bus station.

ANGLIA
This British-lore based area at first felt like odd man out next to the more exotic, ancient areas. However, it’s much easier to incorporate and convincingly pass requisite park services, retail & dining (and a hotel) in the context of more modern eras versus if the entry land/hotel were, say, Mesopotamian in theme.

I broke Anglia into three sub-lands, each representing a different locale & era. The central area is a rural English village (the park’s Main Street), with building facades a mix from 15th-19th century, on whose outskirts lies the Henge of the Ancients (Stone Henge). Crossing the river to the west, the land becomes a more orderly, urban townscape of Oxbridge, based on the university towns, with gothic spires & trim college quads. The resort hotel – late 19th century luxury – takes place in an elaborate structure inspired by Christ Church College or the like.

81014734.jpg
An earl’s manor sits at the far end of the town commons, housing the frightening werewolf attraction.
article-2101933-11BFC539000005DC-837_964x792.jpg
Other Victorian-era stories could be told in the SFX attraction (Jekyll & Hyde, Invisible Man). I imagine an interactive game based on Sherlock Holmes would fit nicely in this area.

The east side of Anglia goes back to the medieval era of the 11th-13th centuries. Camelot is a more fantastic interpretation of the English Castle Town. Behind the numerous towers and turrets lies a marquee AA boat ride (PotC cousin) based on the King Arthur mythology.

9ed0823f2099bb4cb870ce27cc640c8f.jpg
There is an explorable forest that houses both a Unicorn Glade as well as an area to shoot a bow with Robin Hood. On a small island the lagoon are the ruins of an old Scottish keep, similar in scale to Central Park’s Belvedere Castle, used mainly as a viewing area for lagoon spectacles (and occasional appearances by Nessie).
Belvedere_Castle,_Central_Park.jpg
TIANXIA
The Imperial Court section of this Chinese-themed land is laid out according to the feng shui ordering principles, surrounded by a moat, willow trees and covered walkways. The wooden structures within this palace house lagoon-view dining, a small theater, art history exhibits and a madhouse walkthrough. An ancient Chinese-themed version of aquatopia is also accessible within the Court. Outside the Court are two of the bigger attractions: a mountain coaster and the Phoenix E-ticket.

VALHALLA
A long forested embankment of dark pines marks the edge of the world as visitors enter the land of Norse mythology. In the far corner of the park is Odin’s Tower, a freefall-darkride, distinct from Tower of Terror in its ride system. Jotnar is a BTMRR-scale indoor-outdoor coaster through the world of trolls and other creatures of this mythos. A Redwood Creek-style forest exploration area is here as well as a swing spinner based on the World Tree, Yggdrasil.

6003039438_817fa3538a_b.jpg

AEGYPTUS
This Egypt-themed area is home to the several major landmarks. The Library of Alexandria is Fortress Explorations-like, housing a planetarium theater and fine restaurant in addition to numerous interactive rooms to explore. Around it are fountains, pools and multiple terraces for lagoon show viewing/dining. It is a clean, classical oasis compared to the crooked, crumbling, sun-baked streets of Old Town, home to many shops, galleries, food stalls and street entertainers. A carousel sits in one plaza. The ruins of an Old Kingdom temple serve as a sunken explore/play zone.

On the outskirts of the dense residential area built of mud & bricks, are the big monuments (housing even bigger attractions): the Sphinx (an EMV adventure) and the Great Pyramids (dark coaster).

The park’s central icon & landmark, aligned along the entry axis, is the Pharos Lighthouse (explorable). Most recreations of this Wonder in history books are pretty similar. Interestingly, IoA’s version is a completely unique take. This park’s larger version would also be a unique take (while I want the park to have sophisticated, museum-like qualities, there is still room to re-imagine and romanticize history), but with some recognizable attributes to the agreed-upon historic design. Perhaps I’ll get to drawing the concept I’ve got in mind.

HELIOS
The final Phase I land is based on the classical world of Ancient Greece. Like the Library, the Acropolis has many explorable nooks as well as lagoon-view dining. Within it is the major Hydra show scene for the lagoon boats. The Labyrinth is an outdoor walkthrough that leads to an indoor adventure ride. The land’s biggest attraction is the flume Mount Olympus – the Greek mythology mash-up. A large theater and couple spinners round out the rides.

2557225-acropolis1.jpg

EXPANSION
As EPCOT Center has for years had The Outpost marking the once-pending addition of the African pavilion, in this park plan I included a small section in the northeast that heralds a future Atlantis expansion. This is also why I placed the ‘Poseidon’s’ seafood TSR and Olympus flume splash-down where I did: near to this potential sea-oriented mythological civilization.

The very large expansion area in the northwest could be earmarked for the Maya Civilization – as that is not well-represented yet in WDW and the meso-american rainforest would transition easily from the heavily-forested Valhalla.

Do you think this could work instead of the other Mythica?

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Original Poster

Twilight_Roxas

I don't think it would work well in Anglia, because the focus there is more on the history of Britain, with one side focusing on 11th-13th century Britain (the King Arthur era) and the other focusing on 15th-18th century Britain (the Victorian era).
Some of the episodes sometimes Christmas episodes is set in the Victorian era on Doctor Who.

DisneyManOne

Original Poster
Some of the episodes sometimes Christmas episodes is set in the Victorian era on Doctor Who.

Well, I'm still not sure...besides, S.W. Wilson stated in his post about the park that he'd prefer it to be IP-free.

Now then, I'd like to take this opportunity to give you a full ride-through of one of the ride refurbishments I really loved working on: The Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywoodland. You'll notice I changed a few things around from my basic ride-through in my original post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1989, The Walt Disney Company introduced to the world the “Hollywood that never was, but always will be…not a place on a map, but a state of mind…” Walt Disney World’s version of Hollywood, the then Disney-MGM Studios, fused together glitz and glamour, backstage magic, and imagination to allow guests the opportunity to be the star, become a part of the movies, and walk a metaphorical red carpet to wherever their dreams might lead them. When the reviews came in, the critics agreed, the park was a blockbuster hit worthy of two thumbs way, way up.

24 years and a name change later, Disney’s Hollywood Studios as it is now called, while still popular with guests, is also a confusing mish-mash of whatever can be bent to fit the “it’s from the entertainment industry so it fits” mold. The park doesn’t know what it wants to be, and for too long has been going through a sort of identity crisis. But it doesn’t have to be this way. In fact, all Disney’s Hollywood Studios has to do to find its true identity is just look to its heart:

The Great Movie Ride
great2.jpg

The Great Movie Ride is the only attraction at The Studios that has really yet to be changed. Sure there’s been a minor update to the montage film, or a change to the film scores used as the attraction’s BGM over the years, but all in all, the ride looks almost exactly the same as it did when it opened 24 years ago, back when it shocked and amazed guests by literally taking them on a tour through the greatest films Hollywood had to offer. Since the ride’s inception, it’s always been the epitome of what a trip to The Studios was all about, in fact, the entire concept for The Disney-MGM Studios came from this attraction. Initially imagined as an attraction for EPCOT Center, CEO Michael Eisner loved the concept so much he suggested giving The Great Movie Ride its own park!

As stated above though, that was more than 20 years ago, and although the attraction is still a tour through some of the greatest films ever crafted by Hollywood, many of today’s guests don’t even know the movies that are being toured, and “As Time Goes By…” new pictures have found their way into the hearts of guests as classics. I believe the problem with the park is its aging heart, and until that heart is fixed, the park will never truly know of its potential. Fortunately, with a little bit of “surgery” (and a lot of magic and imagination), The Great Movie Ride can be restored to its former greatness and shine as lighthouse high upon a hill for the rest of The Studios, guiding the park out of the “storm” that it has been stuck in for the last decade.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At the end of Hollywoood Boulevard at Disney's Hollywoodland, you'll find a very detailed replica of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, which has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres, including two Disney films--"Mary Poppins" in 1964 and "The Jungle Book" in 1967, souvenirs from which you can find in window displays. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. Outside of the theater, instrumental musical pieces from well-known movies play. The actual Chinese Theater in Los Angeles had been studied to be re-created and detailed in exact appearance here at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Not only was the exterior of the Theater created, but even the forecourt was created, having actual celebrity handprints and spurting fountains along the rim of the Theater. And, as part of the park-wide expansion and the re-branding from Disney's Hollywood Studios to Disney's Hollywoodland, “handprint ceremonies” will once again take place in the theatre courtyard, bringing attention to the new attraction and helping guests understand just how important an “opening act” this ride is to the park. In the near future, as guests walk through the courtyard, they might notice the handprints of Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Channing Tatum and the like.

Walking into the theatre, at first, guests may not realize that some things have changed. The area still appears to be nothing more than a movie theatre with a couple of glass cases scattered about holding old movie props. But, as guests get closer to the props, they’ll soon realize that not all is as it seems; the props seem to be “alive”, allowing guests to see that this is no ordinary theatre…here, the movies come to life. As guests move through the queue, the first prop they’ll find is the carousel horse from “Mary Poppins”. Enclosed within a glass case, the horse is still magically moving up and down and back and forth, just as it did in the movie. Continuing past the horse, guests then come across the “Mighty Thor’s” costume, and right next to it is his magic hammer, from “Thor” and “The Avengers”. While Thor’s costume is being held within a glass case, it appears the theatre staff has had a bit more difficulty with his hammer…it’s so heavy that it’s fallen through the bottom of the case! The glass has been removed, and all guests can see is the very bottom of the hammer handle poking out of a hole within the base of the case. Posted on the outside of the case is a hand-written not reading, “Too heavy—can’t lift up. Please help!” Persistent guests who attempt to pull the hammer out might find they have about as much strength as the mighty “God of Thunder”. Further in the queue, guests will find the treasure chest that holds Davy Jones’ heart, from “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. If they listen closely and touch the case, they’ll be able to hear and/or feel his broken heart pulsating beneath the glass. The final prop found in the queue, just before guests step into the theatre, is the great Sorcerer Yensid’s hat, made famous by the “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” scene in “Fantasia”. Every now and again, if guests are paying attention, they’ll notice the hat twinkling with magic.

Entering the theatre room, guests will note that nothing about this room has changed, save for the new pre-ride film with TCM host Robert Osborne, interspersed with trailers for the films represented in the ride. Moving back and forth through the switchbacks, anticipation builds as guests begin to wonder which scenes the Imagineers could have chosen from the new films being represented in the ride. Heading onto the load dock, guests will still step onto a typical Hollywood soundstage, dressed up to appear as though guests are looking out to the original “Hollywoodland” sign and neighborhood.

Shortly after boarding our tram cars, a tour guide boards up front.

TOUR GUIDE: Welcome aboard. At this time, I'd like to ask everybody to please remain seated throughout the ride, and keep your hands and arms within the vehicle at all times. Also, for the safety of our cast, and the comfort of those around you, please no flash photography or use of external video lights. Alright, now that we've taken care of business, let's talk about me. My name is *CMs Name*, and I'll be your guide during this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me because I love the movies. Alright, everyone, get ready, because it's showtime! Ready when you are, C.B.!

C.B.: Lights! Camera! And...ACTION!

With that, a chorus of voices begins to sing "Hooray for Hollywood" as our trams begin moving.

GUIDE: And we are rolling! On behalf of Disney's Hollywoodland and Turner Classic Movies, welcome to a celebration of cinema as you've never seen before! Welcome to The Great Movie Ride! Once again, my name is *CMs Name* and I'll be taking you from this Hollywood soundstage right into the middle of the action of the greatest films ever made, all on one tour. But between you and me, this is no ordinary tour because the Great Movie Ride brings these movies to life, and puts you right in the middle of the action.

Our trams move underneath a glittering marquee and into the first room, a completely black and white set with older piano music playing in the background. Standing in front of some trees on a stylized dirt road is an AA figure of Charlie Chaplin in his most famous role, the Little Tramp. Leaning on his cane a bit and tweaking his mustache, he looks at the guests and smiles. Behind him the screen featuring the trees and background starts to change, and we are treated to a brief montage of some of Chaplin's most famous roles, from "The Gold Rush" to "The Great Dictator".

GUIDE: Let's begin right here with the original black-and-white reels of the silent movie, featuring one of the greatest stars in Hollywood history, Charlie Chaplin. His 75 years in the movie business has left a massive impact on the way we make movies.

As the tram moves forward, the AA figure of Chaplin waves goodbye at guests as they make their way to the next scene. On our left, Gene Kelly swings from a lamppost as he performs the famous title song from "Singin' in the Rain".

GUIDE: In 1952, one of the world's best-loved musical films had Gene Kelly "Singin' in the Rain" with Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor.

Moving into the next room, we're brought to the rooftops of London, as cutouts of chimney sweeps sway back and forth and Mary Poppins and Bert sing "Chim-Chim-Cheree".

GUIDE: Welcome to London from above, folks, as we join Julie Andrews and Dick Van in Walt Disney's Academy-Award winning masterpiece, "Mary Poppins".

From here, the guests arrive into the dull, gloomy and dangerous streets of New York City. Garbage litters the streets, as the buildings rust and mold in decay. Flickering street lamps and hotel signs faintly illuminate the area. As the vehicles round the bend, they soon come face to face with Vito Corleone, the head of the Corleone family and the most powerful mafia family in all of New York City. He is in a meeting with his godson Johnny Fontaine and his son Sonny.

GUIDE: Hold on to those wallets and purses, folks. This doesn't look like a very good neighborhood. In fact, it looks a lot like the dangerous streets of New York City, the scene of the iconic gangster film "The Godfather", starring two of my favorite tough guys, Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.

CORLEONE: You spend time with your family?

FONTAINE: Sure I do.

CORLEONE: Good. Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man. Come here. You look terrible. I want you to eat. I want you to rest a while. And in a month from now, this Hollywood bigshot's gonna give you what you want.

FONTAINE: It's too late. They start shooting in a week.

CORLEONE: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

From here the guests then proceed into an open city street, surrounded by old, run-down abandoned warehouse buildings. On our left, a pair of thugs are hiding behind some boxes. They seem to be expecting trouble.

BEANS: (whispering) Somebody coming! Somebody coming! Get down!

SQUID: (referring to our vehicle) Ah, ah, is it them?

Up ahead, a one way light changes from red to green.

BEANS: Nah, just a bunch o' rubberneckin' tourists.

VOICE: Shut up you two, you want to blow our cover?

GUIDE: Sorry about the delay, folks, but I don't want to run a red light, even if it is just a movie.

Our ride vehicle stops as a gangster appears from behind a building.

GANGSTER: (from the shadows, to our left) Hey, you.

GUIDE: Are you talking to me? Are you talkin' to me?

GANGSTER (Stepping out from the shadows): No, tough guy/sweetheart (Depending on the gender of Tour Guide) 'm talkin' to da dame in da funny-lookin' outfit over dere. Yeah, I'm talkin' to you. Come 'ere.

GUIDE: Uh, I'm not supposed to leave my vehicle.

GANGSTER: (whips out a gun) I said get over 'ere.

GUIDE: (nervously) Whatever you say, Mugsy. (gets out of the car and onto the set)

MUGSY: (walking down stairs) Hey, How'd you know my name anyway?

GUIDE: Oh, I've seen this movie before.

Both Mugsy and Guide are startled by a cat hiding in a trash can. Mugsy looks at Guide.

MUGSY: Da heat's on, see? And your fancy car's my ticket outta here. So beat it!

GUIDE: Oh no, you're making a big mist-

MUGSY: I said scram outta here, or you're gonna get hoit.

GUIDE: But I can't walk out in the middle of a movie!

BEANS: Here dey come, boss!

MUGSY: Go on, beat it ya sap!

GUIDE: On second thought. . .

SQUID: Get out your grinders!

GUIDE: I could go for some popcorn!

A 1930's model car suddenly screeches into the scene on our right, the tour guide runs off stage out of sight. There are gangsters inside, and they start having a shootout with the thugs on our left. We're caught in the crossfire of machine guns. Rat-a-tat-tat! Rat-a-tat-tat!

SQUID: Ah! I'm hit! Hey, I'm hit!

BEANS: Mugsy! They got Squid! Mugsy!

MUGSY: I hear ya! Rub 'em out! (to the gangsters in the car) Hey you mugs, this ain't a fair fight!

BEANS: Mugsy, Squid's hit bad! Real bad!

MUGSY: You're next if ya don't shut up! <Runs to the vehicle> Everybody sit tight. (sees that there is a red light over the door up ahead, preventing the vehicle from moving forward) Runnin' a red light's against the law, and I never break the law! Watch this! (shoots out the red light) No more red light!

BEANS: Mugsy!

Mugsy puts the vehicle into drive and leaves the scene.

BEANS: Mugsy! Come back ya rat!

MUGSY: Sorry boys, I'm makin' my getaway! Give my regards to the warden, suckers. (to a guest) What're you lookin' at? Everybody mind your p's and q's, and maybe nobody'll get hoit.

From here, we enter into the Great American West, on the desert outskirts of a ghost town. I will show you two different versions of the scene--the gangster version and the tour-guide switch version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gangster Version

MUGSY: Whoa, what's this? Where am I, New Joisey?

RIDE ANNOUNCER: This is the Great American West, setting of many Western classics. But here, we take a different route to find the setting for Mel Brooks' classic comedy, Blazing Saddles.

The triumphant theme of "Blazing Saddles" plays, the sound of hooves clopping coming from the horizon. Where John Wayne stood, we see a cliff in the desert. Suddenly, riding to the edge of the cliff are animatronics of Bart and Jim, aka the Waco Kid, atop horses.

BART: Howdy, folks! Isn't it a lovely day?

Suddenly, a gunshot sounds and a bullet flies through the air, crashing into a rock. Bart and Jim duck.

JIM: Sounds like we're under attack. And there's only one way to go at a time like this...

BART: What way is that?

JIM: The other way!

We proceed through Rock Ridge, which is seemingly peaceful.

MUGSY: (to the guests) All right, now that we're in the clear, it's the perfect time for me to collect up all your value-ables. We'll start with the je-

Suddenly, a humongous fight breaks out, as Bart and Jim lead the citizens of Rock Ridge in a battle against Hedley Lamar and his thugs (all of them are actors.) Cowboys, bandits, and townsfolk alike all engage in a huge shootout a la a classic western film. Humor ensues as expected in a Mel Brooks film, including a bull emerging from a laundromat with giant polka-dotted underwear on its horns, an old woman hitting a bandit over the head with her purse, and Lili von Shtupp singing German hymns with WWI German soldiers. One bandit makes the unfortunate mistake of attempting to punch Mugsy, who responds by "shooting" the bandit.

MUGSY: Dis is nuts, and nuts ta dis! I'm gettin' outta here.

We head towards the Sheriff's Office, which, as if by magic, moves aside, a two-dimensional flat (a la classic dark ride "crash doors").

MUGSY: Look at it this way, things can't get any woise!

Tour Guide Switch Version

From here, we enter into the Great American West, on the desert outskirts of a ghost town.

GUIDE: Welcome to the wild, wild west, folks. This place may look pretty dull, but anything can happen here...

Suddenly, the triumphant theme of "Blazing Saddles" plays, the sound of hooves clopping coming from the horizon. Where John Wayne stood, we see a cliff in the desert. Suddenly, riding to the edge of the cliff are animatronics of Bart and Jim, aka the Waco Kid, atop horses.

GUIDE: Hey, I'd recognize those two desperados anywhere--it's Sheriff Bart and Jim the Waco Kid, as played by Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder, in Mel Brooks' classic comedy Blazing Saddles! Howdy, boys!

Suddenly, a gunshot sounds and a bullet flies through the air, crashing into a rock. Bart and Jim duck.

JIM: Sounds like we're under attack. And there's only one way to go at a time like this...

We pass by the cliff and into Rock Ridge, where a humongous fight has broken out, as Bart and Jim lead the citizens of Rock Ridge in a battle against Hedley Lamar and his thugs (all of them are actors.) Cowboys, bandits, and townsfolk alike all engage in a huge shootout a la a classic western film. Humor ensues as expected in a Mel Brooks film, including a bull emerging from a laundromat with giant polka-dotted underwear on its horns, an old woman hitting a bandit over the head with her purse, and Lili von Shtupp singing German hymns with WWI German soldiers.

However, our arrival has peaked the interest of a bandit.

BANDIT: Hey, you! What in the wide world of sports do you think you're doin' here?

GUIDE: Well, I'm not doing anything here, I'm just trying to find a way out of here...peacefully.

BANDIT: Not when you're in Rock Ridge, you're not.

Suddenly, the bandit grabs the guide and hauls him out of the ride vehicle.

GUIDE: What do you think you're doing?! I can't leave my vehicle!

BANDIT: Forget you*, I'm working for Mel Brooks!

The bandit is about to punch the guide in the face...

GUIDE: Not in the face!

The bandit instead punches the guide in the stomach.

GUIDE: Thank you.

The guide collapses. The actors playing Bart and Jim notice the guide, and carry him off. Seizing the opportunity, the bandit jumps into the vehicle.

BANDIT: Now, what say we get outta this place?

*line changed in case of small children
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From here on out, the rest of the ride is the same. For the sake of the two above scenes, I'll refer to both Mugsy and the bandit as "the hijacker".

The vehicle enters the next scene. Straight ahead guests see a cavernous mountain lining the wall, with a few Jawas scurrying about. As the vehicles turn left, around the corner, a desert Stormtrooper atop a Dewback stands just outside the Mos Eisley Spaceport.

HIJACKER: Have you folks ever seen such a stranger terrain?

RIDE ANNOUNCER: This is the Mos Eisley Spaceport, as seen in the original "Star Wars". Ahead, Stormtroopers of the Empire are searching for the droids being carried by young Luke Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi.

HIJACKER: Star Wars?! Ha! What a buncha baloney.

OBI-WAN: These aren't the droids you're looking for...

STORMTROOPER: These aren't the droids I'm looking for...move along, move along...

Luke and Obi-Wan speed away in a tunnel. After Luke and Obi Wan have left the scene, the Stormtrooper points to the tram.

STORMTROOPER: How long have you had these droids?

HIJACKER: Droids!? I don't have any droids, I've no idea what a droid even is!

STORMTROOPER: Let me see your identificati--

All of a suden, a loud "BLAST, BLAST!" fills the room, cutting the Stormtrooper short. Two Space Pirates (one from within a window, the other behind a crate) have appeared and begin firing blasters at the Stormtroopers and audience. The Stormtroopers begin returning fire.

SPACE PIRATE: They'll never take us alive!

HIJACKER: Jeesh! Maybe they really is a Star War goin' on 'round here...I think we best be on our way. 'Sides, we wouldn't wanna...overstay our welcome now, would we?

The vehicle enters the ancient temple from "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The temple is filled with ancient hieroglyphics, and flame-flickering torches. To the right, Indiana Jones is seen lifting up the ark of the covenant. The entire temple room is filled with moving snakes, slithering and hissing at the guests. One snake even appears ready to attack!

RIDE ANNOUNCER: Here, in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," amid a thousand deadly snakes, Indiana Jones unearths a great treasure. Will Harrison Ford escape with his discovery? And what will be your fate? Beware.

HIJACKER: Snakes! Why did it hafta be snakes?

The vehicle moves into a second room, with hieroglyphics on the walls. On our right, up a steep set of stairs, is a huge, glowing red jewel set into a stone statue. A temple guardian stands nearby, his face obscured by a veil.

RIDE ANNOUNCER: The dust of three thousand years lies undisturbed in this ancient burial chamber. And on the chest of the great stone god, a priceless jewel!

MUGSY: Wow! Get a load o' dat chunk of ice! Time for me to get back to woik. Don't none of yas move while I get the goods. I don't think they'd notice a few extra bodies around here, if ya know what I mean. Heheheh.

BANDIT: Wow! Get a load of that little beaut. I think that Hedley Lamar would love a nice little gift....heh-heh-heh.

The hijacker goes up to steal the jewel.

RIDE ANNOUNCER: But the jewel is guarded by a curse! And those who dare defy that curse ... must pay with their lives.

GUARDIAN: Halt, unbeliever! Disturb the treasure of the gods, and you shall all pay with your lives.

The hijacker attempts to take the jewel, but he quickly goes up in smoke. When the smoke disappears, we see that the Temple Guardian was actually our former Tour Guide in disguise. There is nothing left of the gangster but his skeleton.

GUIDE: (upon revealing himself) Ta-da! (returning to the vehicle) See, I told you I was going for popcorn. Well, just goes to show you that anything can happen in the movies. Now let's get on with the show.

Exiting the temple, replacing the mummies area is a new scene focusing on the horror genre. To our left, we see the sillhouette of the vampire, Nosferatu, climbing up a staircase to await their victims, in one of the more iconic scenes from the movie.

GUIDE: The horror film is my favorite genre. Although some of the best horror films were produced in the 1930s and 40s, the genre truly flourished in 1922, when "Nosferatu" first struck fear into the hearts of movie-goers.

The horror film then segues into a scene from "The Shining", as the vehicles stretch into an abandoned hotel room, dishevled, as the lights flicker.

GUIDE: Stephen King wrote some of the greatest horror stories ever made, and many of them were turned into movies. One of the most famous was Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, starring Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall.

Suddenly, a loud crack is heard.

GUIDE: What was that?!

The crack comes from the door. Jack Torrance, as played by Jack Nicholson, uses an axe to cut through the door and his face peers through the busted hole.

JACK: HERE'S JOHNNY!!!

GUIDE: (screams) Gah! Let's get outta here!

Moving on to the next room, the mysterious and foreboding atmosphere of Stephen King gives way to the colorful pastels of Walt Disney's animation. Replacing 1/4 of the Tarzan scene, guests look to the left and see an AA of Ariel, aka "The Little Mermaid", leaning on a rock and looking towards Prince Eric's castle. As the wind blows, she recreates one of the film's most famous scenes.

ARIEL: (singing) I don't know when, I don't know how, but I know something's starting right now...Watch and you'll see, someday I'll be part of your world!

As waves crash behind her, our guide speaks,

GUIDE: Now here's one of my favorite films. "The Little Mermaid" was released in 1989, and helped kick-start a new golden era of Disney animated films.

Passing through a rock formation seemingly made of rocks found on the edge of a beach, we find that the rest of the Tarzan area has been turned into a different African jungle. Green grass pedals float back and forth as guests look upward to a familiar sight—Pride Rock. Guests see Rafiki lift baby Simba atop the rock formation as Mufasa and Sarabi proudly look on. An instrumental rendition of “Circle of Life” plays in the background. Animatronic giraffes, pouncing zebras, squealing monkeys and other animals cry out loudly, their movements graceful as they pay tribute to the newborn heir to the throne. A matte painting behind the animal figures portrays the impressive African landscapes in the distance.

GUIDE: Is there anything more beautiful than nature? This has got to be one of the most iconic opening sequences in film history: Baby Simba being presented to the denizens of his future kingdom in Disney's landmark animated feature "The Lion King".

Exiting the African savanna from underneath Pride Rock, we come to the airport scene from "Casablanca". Much like the current scene, the room is decked out in drab, older colors, but it has also been expanded. The entire room has been redone, with the wall opposite of Ilsa and Rick painted to look like guests are in the middle of an airport runway, with fog and lights surrounding them. To the right of the vehicle, Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund stand next to a plane, as the two quote those iconic lines...

RICK: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

ILSA: But what about us?

RICK: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.

ILSA: When I said I would never leave you...

RICK: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now...here's looking at you, kid.

GUIDE: Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. The best last lines of a movie ever. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in the classic romance, "Casablanca".

Moving on to the next room, we find ourselves lost out on the ocean at night. To the left, in the area where the screen of Sorcerer Mickey used to be, Rose Dewitt-Bukater lies on a wooden frame, as Jack Dawson holds on from the water below, re-enacting their last moments together and one of the most iconic moments of the movie. Behind them, the great ship begins to sink, after colliding with a giant iceberg.

JACK: Listen, Rose. You're gonna get out of here, you're gonna go on and you're gonna make lots of babies, and you're gonna watch them grow. You're gonna die an old... an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?

ROSE: I can't feel my body.

JACK: Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do me this honor. Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.

ROSE: I promise.

JACK: Never let go.

ROSE: I'll never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.

GUIDE: (tearing up) Oh, I promised myself I wasn't gonna cry... (takes out handkerchief and blows into it) This is one of the saddest scenes in film history: Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio promising their eternal love in the beloved classic "Titanic".

Exiting this scene, guests find themselves caught inside a sepia-colored tornado funnel. We quickly leave the funnel and find ourselves in Munchkinland. The scene is beautiful, with small houses in bright colors, rolling hills and beautiful flowers. Dorothy's Kansas house has just landed on the Wicked Witch of the East, as her feel stick out from under the house, wearing ruby red shoes. The munchkins soon rise to sing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead".

GUIDE: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. How often do you get to say that? I'd say we're somewhere over the rainbow in one of the most beloved movies of all time, "The Wizard of Oz."

Suddenly, in a burst of red smoke, the Wicked Witch of the West appears before the vehicle.

WITCH: Who killed my sister? Who killed the Witch of the East? (to the tour guide) Was it you?

GUIDE: No, I didn't kill anyone. It was an accident.

WITCH: Well, my little pretty, I can cause accidents, too!

GUIDE: Oh rubbish, you have no power here. Be gone before someone drops a house on you, too.

WITCH: Very well. I'll bide my time. But just try and stay out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty. And your little dog, too! (cackles and disappears in a puff of smoke)

GUIDE: On that note, I think it's best that we get out of here. But I wonder how...? (to the Munchkins) Hey, what do you folks think?

MUNCHKIN: Follow the yellow brick road!

GUIDE: Follow the yellow brick road. Why didn't I think of that? Sing along folks, you know the words.

We hear the Munchkins sing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road/We're Off to See the Wizard" as we leave Munchkinland. On our right, we come upon Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man, and Toto, as they spot the Emerald City for the first time.

DOROTHY: There's Emerald City! Oh, we're almost there, at last, at last!

SCARECROW: I've as good as got my brain!

TIN MAN: I can faintly hear my heart beating!

DOROTHY: I'll be home in time for supper!

LION: In another hour, I'll be king of the forest. Long live the king! Well, come on, then, what are we waiting for?

SCARECROW: Nothing! Let's hurry!

As the trams leave the foursome to get to the Emerald City, we enter a dark room with only a giant screen illuminated with stars.

GUIDE: Well, it appears we've come to the end of our tour. Yet, we've barely even begun to see all that the cinema has to offer. In fact, when it comes to the magic of the movies, we'll never be finished! There are still thousands of films out there, waiting to be discovered, but here are just a few of my favorites...

This leads into the ride's famous movie montage. Although the clips will be updated to include more recent films, the soundtrack and quotes will remain the same. Here now are the quotes heard in the movie:

AL JOLSON ("The Jazz Singer"): Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothin' yet.

THE THREE STOOGES: Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

EDDIE MURPHY ("Trading Places"): Is there a problem, officers?

MARLON BRANDO ("The Godfather"): I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER ("The Terminator"): I'll be back.

JUDY GARLAND ("The Wizard of Oz"): I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

BARBRA STREISAND ("Funny Girl"): Hello, gorgeous.

GRETA GARBO ("Grand Hotel"): I want to be alone.

GLORIA SWANSON ("Sunset Boulevard"): We didn't need dialogue. We had faces.

MARLON BRANDO ("A Streetcar Named Desire"): Stellaaaaaaaa!

ROBIN WILLIAMS ("Good Morning, Vietnam"): Good morning, Vietnam!

BETTE DAVIS ("All About Eve"): Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.

C-3PO ("Star Wars"): Oh my. I'd forgotten how much I hate space travel.

As the Millenium Falcon blasts off into hyperspace, the night sky of space turns into the night sky of Hollywood, as the camera quickly zooms over a CGI recreation of Hollywood, ending as the Hollywood sign fills up the screen. An instrumental rendition of "Hooray for Hollywood" plays as we head back into the loading area.

GUIDE: On behalf of Disney's Hollywoodland and Turner Classic Movies, I'd like to thank you for joining us on The Great Movie Ride. Now before we do wrap this production, we still have one more scene to do. It's called The Exit. The action begins with you remaining seated until we come to a complete stop, then you gather all your personal belongings and take small children by the hand. Now once these doors open, you will rise dramatically to your feet, and make a grand exit directly to the rear of the vehicle. Oh, one more thing. Um, when I yell "Action!", don't forget the thunderous applause for your tour guide. Places, everybody! And...action!

Applause.

GUIDE: Thank you, thank you. Well, good-bye, everybody. Enjoy the rest of your day here at Disney's Hollywoodland and I'll see you at the movies...the stuff dreams are made of!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having opened 24 years ago, it's clear that The Great Movie Ride has become a classic in its own right. And I did my best to preserve what I felt made the attraction classic, while still giving it an update so that the ride felt new and fresh. And if I did the job right, 24 years from now, most of the modern movies I chose will be considered classics in the same way that "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Wizard of Oz" are considered classics today, and kids will come ride this thing and still believe it sounds like it would be a great attraction, no matter the age of the movies.

Well, there we have it: my vision for a new version of The Great Movie Ride. What do you think? Any thoughts or comments?

Well, I'm still not sure...besides, S.W. Wilson stated in his post about the park that he'd prefer it to be IP-free.

Now then, I'd like to take this opportunity to give you a full ride-through of one of the ride refurbishments I really loved working on: The Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywoodland. You'll notice I changed a few things around from my basic ride-through in my original post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In 1989, The Walt Disney Company introduced to the world the “Hollywood that never was, but always will be…not a place on a map, but a state of mind…” Walt Disney World’s version of Hollywood, the then Disney-MGM Studios, fused together glitz and glamour, backstage magic, and imagination to allow guests the opportunity to be the star, become a part of the movies, and walk a metaphorical red carpet to wherever their dreams might lead them. When the reviews came in, the critics agreed, the park was a blockbuster hit worthy of two thumbs way, way up.

24 years and a name change later, Disney’s Hollywood Studios as it is now called, while still popular with guests, is also a confusing mish-mash of whatever can be bent to fit the “it’s from the entertainment industry so it fits” mold. The park doesn’t know what it wants to be, and for too long has been going through a sort of identity crisis. But it doesn’t have to be this way. In fact, all Disney’s Hollywood Studios has to do to find its true identity is just look to its heart:

The Great Movie Ride
great2.jpg

The Great Movie Ride is the only attraction at The Studios that has really yet to be changed. Sure there’s been a minor update to the montage film, or a change to the film scores used as the attraction’s BGM over the years, but all in all, the ride looks almost exactly the same as it did when it opened 24 years ago, back when it shocked and amazed guests by literally taking them on a tour through the greatest films Hollywood had to offer. Since the ride’s inception, it’s always been the epitome of what a trip to The Studios was all about, in fact, the entire concept for The Disney-MGM Studios came from this attraction. Initially imagined as an attraction for EPCOT Center, CEO Michael Eisner loved the concept so much he suggested giving The Great Movie Ride its own park!

As stated above though, that was more than 20 years ago, and although the attraction is still a tour through some of the greatest films ever crafted by Hollywood, many of today’s guests don’t even know the movies that are being toured, and “As Time Goes By…” new pictures have found their way into the hearts of guests as classics. I believe the problem with the park is its aging heart, and until that heart is fixed, the park will never truly know of its potential. Fortunately, with a little bit of “surgery” (and a lot of magic and imagination), The Great Movie Ride can be restored to its former greatness and shine as lighthouse high upon a hill for the rest of The Studios, guiding the park out of the “storm” that it has been stuck in for the last decade.
At the end of Hollywoood Boulevard at Disney's Hollywoodland, you'll find a very detailed replica of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, which has hosted dozens of award shows and numerous movie premieres, including two Disney films--"Mary Poppins" in 1964 and "The Jungle Book" in 1967, souvenirs from which you can find in window displays. It is truly the icon of all of the glitz and glamour that Hollywood could imply. Outside of the theater, instrumental musical pieces from well-known movies play. The actual Chinese Theater in Los Angeles had been studied to be re-created and detailed in exact appearance here at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Not only was the exterior of the Theater created, but even the forecourt was created, having actual celebrity handprints and spurting fountains along the rim of the Theater. And, as part of the park-wide expansion and the re-branding from Disney's Hollywood Studios to Disney's Hollywoodland, “handprint ceremonies” will once again take place in the theatre courtyard, bringing attention to the new attraction and helping guests understand just how important an “opening act” this ride is to the park. In the near future, as guests walk through the courtyard, they might notice the handprints of Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp, Meryl Streep, Channing Tatum and the like.

Walking into the theatre, at first, guests may not realize that some things have changed. The area still appears to be nothing more than a movie theatre with a couple of glass cases scattered about holding old movie props. But, as guests get closer to the props, they’ll soon realize that not all is as it seems; the props seem to be “alive”, allowing guests to see that this is no ordinary theatre…here, the movies come to life. As guests move through the queue, the first prop they’ll find is the carousel horse from “Mary Poppins”. Enclosed within a glass case, the horse is still magically moving up and down and back and forth, just as it did in the movie. Continuing past the horse, guests then come across the “Mighty Thor’s” costume, and right next to it is his magic hammer, from “Thor” and “The Avengers”. While Thor’s costume is being held within a glass case, it appears the theatre staff has had a bit more difficulty with his hammer…it’s so heavy that it’s fallen through the bottom of the case! The glass has been removed, and all guests can see is the very bottom of the hammer handle poking out of a hole within the base of the case. Posted on the outside of the case is a hand-written not reading, “Too heavy—can’t lift up. Please help!” Persistent guests who attempt to pull the hammer out might find they have about as much strength as the mighty “God of Thunder”. Further in the queue, guests will find the treasure chest that holds Davy Jones’ heart, from “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. If they listen closely and touch the case, they’ll be able to hear and/or feel his broken heart pulsating beneath the glass. The final prop found in the queue, just before guests step into the theatre, is the great Sorcerer Yensid’s hat, made famous by the “Sorcerer’s Apprentice” scene in “Fantasia”. Every now and again, if guests are paying attention, they’ll notice the hat twinkling with magic.

Entering the theatre room, guests will note that nothing about this room has changed, save for the new pre-ride film with TCM host Robert Osborne, interspersed with trailers for the films represented in the ride. Moving back and forth through the switchbacks, anticipation builds as guests begin to wonder which scenes the Imagineers could have chosen from the new films being represented in the ride. Heading onto the load dock, guests will still step onto a typical Hollywood soundstage, dressed up to appear as though guests are looking out to the original “Hollywoodland” sign and neighborhood.

Shortly after boarding our tram cars, a tour guide boards up front.

TOUR GUIDE: Welcome aboard. At this time, I'd like to ask everybody to please remain seated throughout the ride, and keep your hands and arms within the vehicle at all times. Also, for the safety of our cast, and the comfort of those around you, please no flash photography or use of external video lights. Alright, now that we've taken care of business, let's talk about me. My name is CMs Name, and I'll be your guide during this magical journey into the movies. It's the perfect job for me because I love the movies. Alright, everyone, get ready, because it's showtime! Ready when you are, C.B.!

C.B.: Lights! Camera! And...ACTION!

With that, a chorus of voices begins to sing "Hooray for Hollywood" as our trams begin moving.

GUIDE: And we are rolling! On behalf of Disney's Hollywoodland and Turner Classic Movies, welcome to a celebration of cinema as you've never seen before! Welcome to The Great Movie Ride! Once again, my name is CMs Name and I'll be taking you from this Hollywood soundstage right into the middle of the action of the greatest films ever made, all on one tour. But between you and me, this is no ordinary tour because the Great Movie Ride brings these movies to life, and puts you right in the middle of the action.

Our trams move underneath a glittering marquee and into the first room, a completely black and white set with older piano music playing in the background. Standing in front of some trees on a stylized dirt road is an AA figure of Charlie Chaplin in his most famous role, the Little Tramp. Leaning on his cane a bit and tweaking his mustache, he looks at the guests and smiles. Behind him the screen featuring the trees and background starts to change, and we are treated to a brief montage of some of Chaplin's most famous roles, from "The Gold Rush" to "The Great Dictator".

GUIDE: Let's begin right here with the original black-and-white reels of the silent movie, featuring one of the greatest stars in Hollywood history, Charlie Chaplin. His 75 years in the movie business has left a massive impact on the way we make movies.

As the tram moves forward, the AA figure of Chaplin waves goodbye at guests as they make their way to the next scene. On our left, Gene Kelly swings from a lamppost as he performs the famous title song from "Singin' in the Rain".

GUIDE: In 1952, one of the world's best-loved musical films had Gene Kelly "Singin' in the Rain" with Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor.

Moving into the next room, we're brought to the rooftops of London, as cutouts of chimney sweeps sway back and forth and Mary Poppins and Bert sing "Chim-Chim-Cheree".

GUIDE: Welcome to London from above, folks, as we join Julie Andrews and ** Van ** in Walt Disney's Academy-Award winning masterpiece, "Mary Poppins".

From here, the guests arrive into the dull, gloomy and dangerous streets of New York City. Garbage litters the streets, as the buildings rust and mold in decay. Flickering street lamps and hotel signs faintly illuminate the area. As the vehicles round the bend, they soon come face to face with Vito Corleone, the head of the Corleone family and the most powerful mafia family in all of New York City. He is in a meeting with his godson Johnny Fontaine and his son Sonny.

GUIDE: Hold on to those wallets and purses, folks. This doesn't look like a very good neighborhood. In fact, it looks a lot like the dangerous streets of New York City, the scene of the iconic gangster film "The Godfather", starring two of my favorite tough guys, Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.

CORLEONE: You spend time with your family?

FONTAINE: Sure I do.

CORLEONE: Good. Because a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man. Come here. You look terrible. I want you to eat. I want you to rest a while. And in a month from now, this Hollywood bigshot's gonna give you what you want.

FONTAINE: It's too late. They start shooting in a week.

CORLEONE: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

From here the guests then proceed into an open city street, surrounded by old, run-down abandoned warehouse buildings. On our left, a pair of thugs are hiding behind some boxes. They seem to be expecting trouble.

BEANS: (whispering) Somebody coming! Somebody coming! Get down!

SQUID: (referring to our vehicle) Ah, ah, is it them?

Up ahead, a one way light changes from red to green.

BEANS: Nah, just a bunch o' rubberneckin' tourists.

VOICE: Shut up you two, you want to blow our cover?

GUIDE: Sorry about the delay, folks, but I don't want to run a red light, even if it is just a movie.

Our ride vehicle stops as a gangster appears from behind a building.

GANGSTER: (from the shadows, to our left) Hey, you.

GUIDE: Are you talking to me? Are you talkin' to me?

GANGSTER (Stepping out from the shadows): No, tough guy/sweetheart (Depending on the gender of Tour Guide) 'm talkin' to da dame in da funny-lookin' outfit over dere. Yeah, I'm talkin' to you. Come 'ere.

GUIDE: Uh, I'm not supposed to leave my vehicle.

GANGSTER: (whips out a gun) I said get over 'ere.

GUIDE: (nervously) Whatever you say, Mugsy. (gets out of the car and onto the set)

MUGSY: (walking down stairs) Hey, How'd you know my name anyway?

GUIDE: Oh, I've seen this movie before.

Both Mugsy and Guide are startled by a cat hiding in a trash can. Mugsy looks at Guide.

MUGSY: Da heat's on, see? And your fancy car's my ticket outta here. So beat it!

GUIDE: Oh no, you're making a big mist-

MUGSY: I said scram outta here, or you're gonna get hoit.

GUIDE: But I can't walk out in the middle of a movie!

BEANS: Here dey come, boss!

MUGSY: Go on, beat it ya sap!

GUIDE: On second thought. . .

SQUID: Get out your grinders!

GUIDE: I could go for some popcorn!

A 1930's model car suddenly screeches into the scene on our right, the tour guide runs off stage out of sight. There are gangsters inside, and they start having a shootout with the thugs on our left. We're caught in the crossfire of machine guns. Rat-a-tat-tat! Rat-a-tat-tat!

SQUID: Ah! I'm hit! Hey, I'm hit!

BEANS: Mugsy! They got Squid! Mugsy!

MUGSY: I hear ya! Rub 'em out! (to the gangsters in the car) Hey you mugs, this ain't a fair fight!

BEANS: Mugsy, Squid's hit bad! Real bad!

MUGSY: You're next if ya don't shut up! <Runs to the vehicle> Everybody sit tight. (sees that there is a red light over the door up ahead, preventing the vehicle from moving forward) Runnin' a red light's against the law, and I never break the law! Watch this! (shoots out the red light) No more red light!

BEANS: Mugsy!

Mugsy puts the vehicle into drive and leaves the scene.

BEANS: Mugsy! Come back ya rat!

MUGSY: Sorry boys, I'm makin' my getaway! Give my regards to the warden, suckers. (to a guest) What're you lookin' at? Everybody mind your p's and q's, and maybe nobody'll get hoit.

From here, we enter into the Great American West, on the desert outskirts of a ghost town. I will show you two different versions of the scene--the gangster version and the tour-guide switch version.

Gangster Version

MUGSY: Whoa, what's this? Where am I, New Joisey?

RIDE ANNOUNCER: This is the Great American West, setting of many Western classics. But here, we take a different route to find the setting for Mel Brooks' classic comedy, Blazing Saddles.

The triumphant theme of "Blazing Saddles" plays, the sound of hooves clopping coming from the horizon. Where John Wayne stood, we see a cliff in the desert. Suddenly, riding to the edge of the cliff are animatronics of Bart and Jim, aka the Waco Kid, atop horses.

We proceed through Rock Ridge, which is seemingly peaceful.

MUGSY: (to the guests) All right, now that we're in the clear, it's the perfect time for me to collect up all your value-ables. We'll start with the je-

Suddenly, a humongous fight breaks out, as Bart and Jim lead the citizens of Rock Ridge in a battle against Hedley Lamar and his thugs (all of them are actors.) Cowboys, bandits, and townsfolk alike all engage in a huge shootout a la a classic western film. Humor ensues as expected in a Mel Brooks film, including a bull emerging from a laundromat with giant polka-dotted underwear on its horns, an old woman hitting a bandit over the head with her purse, and Lili von Shtupp singing German hymns with WWI German soldiers. One bandit makes the unfortunate mistake of attempting to punch Mugsy, who responds by "shooting" the bandit.

MUGSY: Dis is nuts, and nuts ta dis! I'm gettin' outta here.

We head towards the Sheriff's Office, which, as if by magic, moves aside, a two-dimensional flat (a la classic dark ride "crash doors").

MUGSY: Look at it this way, things can't get any woise!
Tour Guide Switch Version

From here, we enter into the Great American West, on the desert outskirts of a ghost town.

GUIDE: Welcome to the wild, wild west, folks. This place may look pretty dull, but anything can happen here...

Suddenly, the triumphant theme of "Blazing Saddles" plays, the sound of hooves clopping coming from the horizon. Where John Wayne stood, we see a cliff in the desert. Suddenly, riding to the edge of the cliff are animatronics of Bart and Jim, aka the Waco Kid, atop horses.

GUIDE: Hey, I'd recognize those two desperados anywhere--it's Sheriff Bart and Jim the Waco Kid, as played by Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder, in Mel Brooks' classic comedy Blazing Saddles! Howdy, boys!

We pass by the cliff and into Rock Ridge, where a humongous fight has broken out, as Bart and Jim lead the citizens of Rock Ridge in a battle against Hedley Lamar and his thugs (all of them are actors.) Cowboys, bandits, and townsfolk alike all engage in a huge shootout a la a classic western film. Humor ensues as expected in a Mel Brooks film, including a bull emerging from a laundromat with giant polka-dotted underwear on its horns, an old woman hitting a bandit over the head with her purse, and Lili von Shtupp singing German hymns with WWI German soldiers.

However, our arrival has peaked the interest of a bandit.

BANDIT: Hey, you! What in the wide world of sports do you think you're doin' here?

GUIDE: Well, I'm not doing anything here, I'm just trying to find a way out of here...peacefully.

BANDIT: Not when you're in Rock Ridge, you're not.

Suddenly, the bandit grabs the guide and hauls him out of the ride vehicle.

GUIDE: What do you think you're doing?! I can't leave my vehicle!

BANDIT: Forget you*, I'm working for Mel Brooks!

The bandit is about to punch the guide in the face...

GUIDE: Not in the face!

The bandit instead punches the guide in the stomach.

GUIDE: Thank you.

The guide collapses. The actors playing Bart and Jim notice the guide, and carry him off. Seizing the opportunity, the bandit jumps into the vehicle.

BANDIT: Now, what say we get outta this place?

*line changed in case of small children
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From here on out, the rest of the ride is the same. For the sake of the two above scenes, I'll refer to both Mugsy and the bandit as "the hijacker".

The vehicle enters the next scene. Straight ahead guests see a cavernous mountain lining the wall, with a few Jawas scurrying about. As the vehicles turn left, around the corner, a desert Stormtrooper atop a Dewback stands just outside the Mos Eisley Spaceport.

HIJACKER: Have you folks ever seen such a stranger terrain?

RIDE ANNOUNCER: This is the Mos Eisley Spaceport, as seen in the original "Star Wars". Ahead, Stormtroopers of the Empire are searching for the droids being carried by young Luke Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi.

HIJACKER: Star Wars?! Ha! What a buncha baloney.

OBI-WAN: These aren't the droids you're looking for...

STORMTROOPER: These aren't the droids I'm looking for...move along, move along...

Luke and Obi-Wan speed away in a tunnel. After Luke and Obi Wan have left the scene, the Stormtrooper points to the tram.

STORMTROOPER: How long have you had these droids?

HIJACKER: Droids!? I don't have any droids, I've no idea what a droid even is!

STORMTROOPER: Let me see your identificati--

All of a suden, a loud "BLAST, BLAST!" fills the room, cutting the Stormtrooper short. Two Space Pirates (one from within a window, the other behind a crate) have appeared and begin firing blasters at the Stormtroopers and audience. The Stormtroopers begin returning fire.

SPACE PIRATE: They'll never take us alive!

HIJACKER: Jeesh! Maybe they really is a Star War goin' on 'round here...I think we best be on our way
. 'Sides, we wouldn't wanna...overstay our welcome now, would we?

The vehicle enters the ancient temple from "Raiders of the Lost Ark". The temple is filled with ancient hieroglyphics, and flame-flickering torches. To the right, Indiana Jones is seen lifting up the ark of the covenant. The entire temple room is filled with moving snakes, slithering and hissing at the guests. One snake even appears ready to attack!

RIDE ANNOUNCER: Here, in "Raiders of the Lost Ark," amid a thousand deadly snakes, Indiana Jones unearths a great treasure. Will Harrison Ford escape with his discovery? And what will be your fate? Beware.

HIJACKER: Snakes! Why did it hafta be snakes?

The vehicle moves into a second room, with hieroglyphics on the walls. On our right, up a steep set of stairs, is a huge, glowing red jewel set into a stone statue. A temple guardian stands nearby, his face obscured by a veil.

RIDE ANNOUNCER: The dust of three thousand years lies undisturbed in this ancient burial chamber. And on the chest of the great stone god, a priceless jewel!

MUGSY: Wow! Get a load o' dat chunk of ice! Time for me to get back to woik. Don't none of yas move while I get the goods. I don't think they'd notice a few extra bodies around here, if ya know what I mean. Heheheh.

BANDIT: Wow! Get a load of that little beaut. I think that Hedley Lamar would love a nice little gift....heh-heh-heh.

The hijacker goes up to steal the jewel.

RIDE ANNOUNCER: But the jewel is guarded by a curse! And those who dare defy that curse ... must pay with their lives.

GUARDIAN: Halt, unbeliever! Disturb the treasure of the gods, and you shall all pay with your lives.

The hijacker attempts to take the jewel, but he quickly goes up in smoke. When the smoke disappears, we see that the Temple Guardian was actually our former Tour Guide in disguise. There is nothing left of the gangster but his skeleton.

GUIDE: (upon revealing himself) Ta-da! (returning to the vehicle) See, I told you I was going for popcorn. Well, just goes to show you that anything can happen in the movies. Now let's get on with the show.

Exiting the temple, replacing the mummies area is a new scene focusing on the horror genre. To our left, we see the sillhouette of the vampire, Nosferatu, climbing up a staircase to await their victims, in one of the more iconic scenes from the movie.

GUIDE: The horror film is my favorite genre. Although some of the best horror films were produced in the 1930s and 40s, the genre truly flourished in 1922, when "Nosferatu" first struck fear into the hearts of movie-goers.

The horror film then segues into a scene from "The Shining", as the vehicles stretch into an abandoned hotel room, dishevled, as the lights flicker.

GUIDE: Stephen King wrote some of the greatest horror stories ever made, and many of them were turned into movies. One of the most famous was Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, starring Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall.

Suddenly, a loud crack is heard.

GUIDE: What was that?!

The crack comes from the door. Jack Torrance, as played by Jack Nicholson, uses an axe to cut through the door and his face peers through the busted hole.

JACK: HERE'S JOHNNY!!!

GUIDE: (screams) Gah! Let's get outta here!

Moving on to the next room, the mysterious and foreboding atmosphere of Stephen King gives way to the colorful pastels of Walt Disney's animation. Replacing 1/4 of the Tarzan scene, guests look to the left and see an AA of Ariel, aka "The Little Mermaid", leaning on a rock and looking towards Prince Eric's castle. As the wind blows, she recreates one of the film's most famous scenes.

ARIEL: (singing) I don't know when, I don't know how, but I know something's starting right now...Watch and you'll see, someday I'll be part of your world!

As waves crash behind her, our guide speaks,

GUIDE: Now here's one of my favorite films. "The Little Mermaid" was released in 1989, and helped kick-start a new golden era of Disney animated films.

Passing through a rock formation seemingly made of rocks found on the edge of a beach, we find that the rest of the Tarzan area has been turned into a different African jungle. Green grass pedals float back and forth as guests look upward to a familiar sight—Pride Rock. Guests see Rafiki lift baby Simba atop the rock formation as Mufasa and Sarabi proudly look on. An instrumental rendition of “Circle of Life” plays in the background. Animatronic giraffes, pouncing zebras, squealing monkeys and other animals cry out loudly, their movements graceful as they pay tribute to the newborn heir to the throne. A matte painting behind the animal figures portrays the impressive African landscapes in the distance.

GUIDE: Is there anything more beautiful than nature? This has got to be one of the most iconic opening sequences in film history: Baby Simba being presented to the denizens of his future kingdom in Disney's landmark animated feature "The Lion King".

Exiting the African savanna from underneath Pride Rock, we come to the airport scene from "Casablanca". Much like the current scene, the room is decked out in drab, older colors, but it has also been expanded. The entire room has been redone, with the wall opposite of Ilsa and Rick painted to look like guests are in the middle of an airport runway, with fog and lights surrounding them. To the right of the vehicle, Rick Blaine and Ilsa Lund stand next to a plane, as the two quote those iconic lines...

RICK: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

ILSA: But what about us?

RICK: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.

ILSA: When I said I would never leave you...

RICK: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now...here's looking at you, kid.

GUIDE: Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. The best last lines of a movie ever. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in the classic romance, "Casablanca".

Moving on to the next room, we find ourselves lost out on the ocean at night. To the left, in the area where the screen of Sorcerer Mickey used to be, Rose Dewitt-Bukater lies on a wooden frame, as Jack Dawson holds on from the water below, re-enacting their last moments together and one of the most iconic moments of the movie. Behind them, the great ship begins to sink, after colliding with a giant iceberg.

JACK: Listen, Rose. You're gonna get out of here, you're gonna go on and you're gonna make lots of babies, and you're gonna watch them grow. You're gonna die an old... an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?

ROSE: I can't feel my body.

JACK: Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do me this honor. Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.

ROSE: I promise.

JACK: Never let go.

ROSE: I'll never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.

GUIDE: (tearing up) Oh, I promised myself I wasn't gonna cry... (takes out handkerchief and blows into it) This is one of the saddest scenes in film history: Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio promising their eternal love in the beloved classic "Titanic".

Exiting this scene, guests find themselves caught inside a sepia-colored tornado funnel. We quickly leave the funnel and find ourselves in Munchkinland. The scene is beautiful, with small houses in bright colors, rolling hills and beautiful flowers. Dorothy's Kansas house has just landed on the Wicked Witch of the East, as her feel stick out from under the house, wearing ruby red shoes. The munchkins soon rise to sing "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead".

GUIDE: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. How often do you get to say that? I'd say we're somewhere over the rainbow in one of the most beloved movies of all time, "The Wizard of Oz."

Suddenly, in a burst of red smoke, the Wicked Witch of the West appears before the vehicle.

WITCH: Who killed my sister? Who killed the Witch of the East? (to the tour guide) Was it you?

GUIDE: No, I didn't kill anyone. It was an accident.

WITCH: Well, my little pretty, I can cause accidents, too!

GUIDE: Oh rubbish, you have no power here. Be gone before someone drops a house on you, too.

WITCH: Very well. I'll bide my time. But just try and stay out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty. And your little dog, too! (cackles and disappears in a puff of smoke)

GUIDE: On that note, I think it's best that we get out of here. But I wonder how...? (to the Munchkins) Hey, what do you folks think?

MUNCHKIN: Follow the yellow brick road!

GUIDE: Follow the yellow brick road. Why didn't I think of that? Sing along folks, you know the words.

We hear the Munchkins sing "Follow the Yellow Brick Road/We're Off to See the Wizard" as we leave Munchkinland. On our right, we come upon Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion, the Tin Man, and Toto, as they spot the Emerald City for the first time.

DOROTHY: There's Emerald City! Oh, we're almost there, at last, at last!

SCARECROW: I've as good as got my brain!

TIN MAN: I can faintly hear my heart beating!

DOROTHY: I'll be home in time for supper!

LION: In another hour, I'll be king of the forest. Long live the king! Well, come on, then, what are we waiting for?

SCARECROW: Nothing! Let's hurry!

As the trams leave the foursome to get to the Emerald City, we enter a dark room with only a giant screen illuminated with stars.

GUIDE: Well, it appears we've come to the end of our tour. Yet, we've barely even begun to see all that the cinema has to offer. In fact, when it comes to the magic of the movies, we'll never be finished! There are still thousands of films out there, waiting to be discovered, but here are just a few of my favorites...

This leads into the ride's famous movie montage. Although the clips will be updated to include more recent films, the soundtrack and quotes will remain the same. Here now are the quotes heard in the movie:

AL JOLSON ("The Jazz Singer"): Wait a minute! You ain't heard nothin' yet.

THE THREE STOOGES: Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

EDDIE MURPHY ("Trading Places"): Is there a problem, officers?

MARLON BRANDO ("The Godfather"): I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER ("The Terminator"): I'll be back.

JUDY GARLAND ("The Wizard of Oz"): I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

BARBRA STREISAND ("Funny Girl"): Hello, gorgeous.

GRETA GARBO ("Grand Hotel"): I want to be alone.

GLORIA SWANSON ("Sunset Boulevard"): We didn't need dialogue. We had faces.

MARLON BRANDO ("A Streetcar Named Desire"): Stellaaaaaaaa!

ROBIN WILLIAMS ("Good Morning, Vietnam"): Good morning, Vietnam!

BETTE DAVIS ("All About Eve"): Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.

C-3PO ("Star Wars"): Oh my. I'd forgotten how much I hate space travel.

As the Millenium Falcon blasts off into hyperspace, the night sky of space turns into the night sky of Hollywood, as the camera quickly zooms over a CGI recreation of Hollywood, ending as the Hollywood sign fills up the screen. An instrumental rendition of "Hooray for Hollywood" plays as we head back into the loading area.

GUIDE: On behalf of Disney's Hollywoodland and Turner Classic Movies, I'd like to thank you for joining us on The Great Movie Ride. Now before we do wrap this production, we still have one more scene to do. It's called The Exit. The action begins with you remaining seated until we come to a complete stop, then you gather all your personal belongings and take small children by the hand. Now once these doors open, you will rise dramatically to your feet, and make a grand exit directly to the rear of the vehicle. Oh, one more thing. Um, when I yell "Action!", don't forget the thunderous applause for your tour guide. Places, everybody! And...action!

Applause.

GUIDE: Thank you, thank you. Well, good-bye, everybody. Enjoy the rest of your day here at Disney's Hollywoodland and I'll see you at the movies...the stuff dreams are made of!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having opened 24 years ago, it's clear that The Great Movie Ride has become a classic in its own right. And I did my best to preserve what I felt made the attraction classic, while still giving it an update so that the ride felt new and fresh. And if I did the job right, 24 years from now, most of the modern movies I chose will be considered classics in the same way that "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Wizard of Oz" are considered classics today, and kids will come ride this thing and still believe it sounds like it would be a great attraction, no matter the age of the movies.

Well, there we have it: my vision for a new version of The Great Movie Ride. What do you think? Any thoughts or comments?

Dang DisneyManOne that sure is a great idea you got there your list of ideas even surpasses those of my own

and I too had the Idea of Mythica in disney as well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom