Choosing Resort - Help Please!

LauraB_83

Original Poster
Hi, I'm hoping to finally book my first trip to WDW this weekend but I just can't settle on a resort. It will be myself & my 10 year old daughter going, planning to arrive on Friday 16th October & stay for 10 nights. Money isn't an issue as such but I don't want to overspend for the sake of it if you know what I mean!

So basically I'm leaning towards the Polynesian after doing lots of reading online but then I read a couple of bad reviews & it kind of made me doubt my decision. I know the current construction might have affected some people's opinions but as our trip isn't until October this shouldn't be an issue. We will be spending most of our time in MK & plan to do MNSSHP so for convenience I thought the Poly would be good.

Any advice would be fab! Should I stick with the Poly or look elsewhere?

Also I have seen some pictures of the most recently renovated rooms which look lovely. If I did decide to book this resort can I request a certain area to ensure I get one of these rooms?

Thanks in advance :)

JasonDeyoung

Id stick with the poly its a great resort and awesome location. If you're going to be going to mk most and the Halloween party this would be ideal. You have the option of monorail and boats to the mk and back. Construction should be done by then at least the major parts of it and you can request anything you'd like as on a room but it's just a request they'll never guarantee it. But for sure, Id book the poly

CAPTAIN HOOK

Money isn't an issue as such
:cool:
We will be spending most of our time in MK & plan to do MNSSHP so for convenience I thought the Poly would be good.
You can get to MK easily from any of the resorts in WDW - A Monorail Resort will obviously mean minimal travelling and maximum convenience. I've only stayed at GF so I'm unable to help with your choices other than to agree that since its refurb a few on here have criticised The Poly
If I did decide to book this resort can I request a certain area to ensure I get one of these rooms?
A request is just that, a request. Disney will do their utmost to facilitate any request but they cannot be guaranteed

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Any advice would be fab! Should I stick with the Poly or look elsewhere? Also I have seen some pictures of the most recently renovated rooms which look lovely. :)
Poly all the way :happy:. All of the regular rooms have been refurbished and are beautiful. A word of caution, however ~ photos are out of the new Poly studio DVC rooms and these are nothing like the regular rooms. Make sure you know which is which.

NMBC1993

There's nothing wrong with Poly, and that would be a great resort to accommodate your needs. But personally, if I were staying at a resort for 10 days including MNSSHP I would choose either Wilderness Lodge or the cabins at Fort Wilderness.

Both resorts have their own personal boat to MK as well as a connecting boat to Contemporary. During your ten day trip if you were looking for some downtime away from the parks, you could ride a boat to Contemporary and do a "monorail run" around the resorts to explore all the new Poly additions without being effected by the construction. Both resorts have fantastic dining options (recently I had an amazing breakfast at Whispering Canyon) and many fun activities throughout the day.

Wilderness Lodge is everything you'd expect from a deluxe resort. The whole area is beautifully themed and is enjoyable to be in every time I visit (there's an amazing fireplace with rocking chairs in the lobby, great for a morning coffee). My only complaint is the design of the rooms feels a bit underwhelming compared to the rest of the resort.

The Cabins at Fort Wilderness are fantastic if you want to spend time out in nature. The cabins are very cute and would have plenty of space for two. There's a full kitchen and outdoor seating if you want to have a meal on your patio. The campgrounds are always fun to explore and there is a trail connecting both resorts together (my favorite Halloween tradition is having dinner at Trail's End then walk back to Wilderness Lodge using the trail at night with a flashlight to give a "spooky" feeling).

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip:D

Gaston's gal

Although I do love the Wilderness Lodge, have stayed there & even eaten at Whispering Canyon Cafe & loved it, one of my dreams is to stay at the Polynesian. If you have the money, I'd stay there. You will love the monorail access to and from MK. If the monorail is too crowded, you can ride a boat to and from MK. You and your daughter will have a fabulous time! Enjoy

Scott10

I second the recommendation of the Contemporary.....especially if MK is going to be your main park of choice for your time at Disney. Nothing beats a nice, short walk to your resort and not having to board transportation! Also, having Chef Mickey's for dining and the viewing area for the fireworks at MK if you don't choose to stay in the park for them! Best wishes for a great vacation!:)

Any of the Monorail resorts would be perfect. It will all depend on the theming you prefer.
If you and your daughter want plush choose GF
If you prefer "modern" accomodations then stay at Contempo
South-Pac? Poly is awesome.
Each resort also offers a nice kid-friendly (character) restaurant. 1900, Chef Mickey's and Ohana (breakfast) a word of warning, ADRs are a must and dificult to get.
Have a great trip!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Go with the Poly. Yes some people are now tainted due to the construction but it will be a brand new resort by the time you get there. If that is what you want, go with it and make your own memories there. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. I've stayed there 5 times and I think it's an absolutely beautiful hotel. You will love it!

Pam

Belle_MTL

If you have a chance, I highly recommend taking the time one night to go to Fort Wilderness and simply walk around the camper section. People really go all out with their Halloween decorations (they even have a contest). I would imagine closer to the end of your trip a lot of the campers will have their decorations out. We usually arrive around that time and my son loves going around to look at them!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom