NASCAR 2015

wdwfan4ver

3rd, you forgot Mario Andretti.

Jeff Gordon has driven in the Rolex 24 hours previously as has Jimmie Johnson, Dale Jr, and AJ Allmendinger who was in the winning car in 2014. I wouldn't mind seeing him race in the Tudor United SportsCar series (formerly Rolex).
I didn't forget Mario Andretti because his win in Daytona wasn't for 24 hours in 1972 and I am pretty sure wasn't advertised as such. The event is question is one a lot of people don't count as part of the 24 hours of Daytona due to length. In 1972 the race was 6 hours of Daytona instead of 24 hours.

What Mario did was a great achievement in 1972 at Daytona, but it can't be compared to Foyt's and Mcmurray's 24 hour wins at Daytona based on the 18 hour difference for the stress on equipment. While Mario Andretti has been called one of the top 2 race car drivers of all time by many members of the Auto racing media, there is no way to tell if the car he had would last another 18 hours due to the unpredictability of how long equipment would last in this race like what happened to Tony Stewart in the final hour of the 24 hour race back in 2004.

The amount of hours was shorten by the promoters due to the energy crisis at the time. There was other races back in the 1970's had races cut back in length due to the Energy crisis of the 1970's. The thing is not every racing even had length cut and that was the case for most 24 hours of Daytona events in the 1970's except for 1972.

The 1974 NASCAR season was a great example of the energy crisis affecting racing including the 1974 Daytona 500. NASCAR that year cut races by 10 percent distance.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Regan Smith is in 41 car for Atlanta. David Ragan is taking over the 18 until Kyle Busch gets back. Don't know who will driver the 34 car for sure for all the races David Ragan is racing for the 18 car.

3 race tracks announced adding more Safer Barriers to their tracks besides Daytona. They are Atlanta, Kentucky, and Talladega. The good news is Kentucky and Talladega will get the new safer barriers before the next NASCAR races happened at those 2 tracks.

ISC is now reviewing safety at all facilities they own because Kyle Busch got hurt at one of the racetracks they own in Daytona.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Regan Smith is in 41 car for Atlanta. David Ragan is taking over the 18 until Kyle Busch gets back. Don't know who will driver the 34 car for sure for all the races David Ragan is racing for the 18 car.

3 race tracks announced adding more Safer Barriers to their tracks besides Daytona. They are Atlanta, Kentucky, and Talladega. The good news is Kentucky and Talladega will get the new safer barriers before the next NASCAR races happened at those 2 tracks.

ISC is now reviewing safety at all facilities they own because Kyle Busch got hurt at one of the racetracks they own in Daytona.

Truly, I am baffled as to why, in 2015, ALL the Nascar race tracks did not already have these safety barriers.

wdwfan4ver

Truly, I am baffled as to why, in 2015, ALL the Nascar race tracks did not already have these safety barriers.
NASCAR race tracks in the past claimed in the past that it is too expensive to add safer barriers more parts of the track. NASCAR Drivers did call the race tracks on the carpet for not adding more safer barriers race tracks in the past before Kyle's injury such as Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon.

Jeff Gordon last year asked Charlotte Motor speedway about the the area the track he hit during the all star race not having a safer barrier. Jeff was told that area didn't because of cost. The hit Jeff took with the safer barrier was a reason why Jeff's back got so back that he couldn't practice for the Coca Cola 600 last year.

The other thing is this is typical NASCAR for safety. NASCAR has a history of being slow for safety even when the stuff for making racing safer is available for other racing series or for investing money for safety before someone gets hurt or killed.

A good example of being slow for safety is the the fact racing series outside of NASCAR actually have head and neck restraints way before Dale Earnhardt Sr. died at the 2001 Daytona and the 3 NASCAR that died in 2000 for that matter. NASCAR at the time didn't have head and neck restraints mandated. NASCAR Driver's didn't use the restraint before Dale's death because of it being uncomfortable, more restrictive and fearing that it would cause more injuries and problems than it prevented. Dale Earnhardt compared it to a noose even.

That meant NASCAR and the teams were slowing making the restraints fit of perfecting the fit for many years. Dale Sr. himself was offered a head and neck restraint by Richard Childress Racing for the 2001 Daytona 500 for testing purposes and turned it down.

Another good example is the media in the past falsely claiming NASCAR was responsible for starting safer barriers and changed safety in race on the race track when it wasn't the case.

Indycar back in 1998 used their own money for starting development into Safer Barriers at the time and NASCAR decided not to do the same before Dale Sr.'s death. NASCAR even in 1998 had more money than Indycar did. The thing also with the Safer Barriers was Dale Sr. actually liked the fact Safer Barriers was being in development, but NASCAR didn't help Indycar for costs despite the voice Dale Earnhardt Sr. had in the garage at the time with Bill France Jr. usually listening to him.

Indy Car also was responsible for the responsible the precursor of the safer Barrier also called the PEDS Barrier. The PEDS Barrier had flaws and Indy Car spent more of its money to perfect the safer barrier. Indianapolis Motor speedway got safer barriers before rest of the tracks did as a result of NASCAR not investing money in Safer Barriers sooner for development and research. The Safer Barrier for IMS was installed in 2002.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
NASCAR race tracks in the past claimed in the past that it is too expensive to add safer barriers more parts of the track. NASCAR Drivers did call the race tracks on the carpet for not adding more safer barriers race tracks in the past before Kyle's injury such as Kevin Harvick and Jeff Gordon.

Jeff Gordon last year asked Charlotte Motor speedway about the the area the track he hit during the all star race not having a safer barrier. Jeff was told that area didn't because of cost. The hit Jeff took with the safer barrier was a reason why Jeff's back got so back that he couldn't practice for the Coca Cola 600 last year.

The other thing is this is typical NASCAR for safety. NASCAR has a history of being slow for safety even when the stuff for making racing safer is available for other racing series or for investing money for safety before someone gets hurt or killed.

A good example of being slow for safety is the the fact racing series outside of NASCAR actually have head and neck restraints way before Dale Earnhardt Sr. died at the 2001 Daytona and the 3 NASCAR that died in 2000 for that matter. NASCAR at the time didn't have head and neck restraints mandated. NASCAR Driver's didn't use the restraint before Dale's death because of it being uncomfortable, more restrictive and fearing that it would cause more injuries and problems than it prevented. Dale Earnhardt compared it to a noose even.

That meant NASCAR and the teams were slowing making the restraints fit of perfecting the fit for many years. Dale Sr. himself was offered a head and neck restraint by Richard Childress Racing for the 2001 Daytona 500 for testing purposes and turned it down.

Another good example is the media in the past falsely claiming NASCAR was responsible for starting safer barriers and changed safety in race on the race track when it wasn't the case.

Indycar back in 1998 used their own money for starting development into Safer Barriers at the time and NASCAR decided not to do the same before Dale Sr.'s death. NASCAR even in 1998 had more money than Indycar did. The thing also with the Safer Barriers was Dale Sr. actually liked the fact Safer Barriers was being in development, but NASCAR didn't help Indycar for costs despite the voice Dale Earnhardt Sr. had in the garage at the time with Bill France Jr. usually listening to him.

Indy Car also was responsible for the responsible the precursor of the safer Barrier also called the PEDS Barrier. The PEDS Barrier had flaws and Indy Car spent more of its money to perfect the safer barrier. Indianapolis Motor speedway got safer barriers before rest of the tracks did as a result of NASCAR not investing money in Safer Barriers sooner for development and research. The Safer Barrier for IMS was installed in 2002.

As usual, you've come through with another in-depth, informational report: this time about the background of safety barriers. Thank you, and I really appreciate your insight. I found it sad that Jeff Gordon's back injury and ongoing problems associated with that, could have possibly been prevented had safer barriers been in place.

It's also interesting to read about the slow development of the neck restraints down through the years; and how they weren't a comfortable fit even back in 2001 (per your reference to Dale Sr.); 2001 wasn't that long ago. From my very limited understanding of this neck restraint issue, I can only relay my own experience as a tourist who went on a "Ride Along" experience (Richard Petty's company) at Daytona Int. Speedway some years ago. They would outfit the rider (me) in the suit, helmet, and Hans Device. Aside of the exciting ride I had (3 laps) with a real race car driver who took me at speeds up to 180 mph, the one thing that stood out in my mind was that Hans Device around my neck. It wasn't uncomfortable per se, but I felt like my head and neck were in a vice! (ha!) It was just bizarre. So again, from my very limited experience, if I was wearing the more modern model during my Ride Along, I can only imagine how uncomfortable the earlier neck restraints must have been.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Should be an interesting race with so many of the top drivers starting in the back of the pack. Now if Mother Nature will just cooperate. :cautious:

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
downloadfile.jpeg

Folds Of Honor Quik Trip 500, Atlanta

1. Jimmie Johnson
2. Kevin Harvick
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

My first comment is I hope Jeff Gordon's back isn't going to flair up from hitting the wall without a safer barrier. It shouldn't have took Kyle's injury last week to cause Atlanta to announce adding more safer barriers that couldn't be in place for this cup race.

If there is anymore SMI or ISC tracks out there with safer barrier problems that haven't been addressed, those tracks better have them addressed since their excuse of not doing so due to cost doesn't hold any water unless they want to pay the medical bills of drivers that got hurt on their tracks due to negligence.

Brian Mofitt to me did a solid job was in this race for MWR with him finishing 8th by staying out of trouble. I'm a bit shocked how well he did based how little time he spent in the trucks, and the Nationwide/Xfinity series. He had a combined 3 starts in those two series although he had 7 starts in the cup series last year.

I hope he gets a good ride full time ride in any series in NASCAR.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

The Attorney General's Office in Delaware announced Kurt Busch will not face criminal changes. They said it was caused by the admissible evidence and available witnesses would likely be insufficient to meet the burden of establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that Kurt Busch committed a crime.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

Kevin Harvick is now the 23rd cup driver of all time to have at least 30 wins in their cup career.

Kurt Busch's crew chief called this race despite the fact he is going to be an outpatient for removing a kidney stone by laser sometime before the next race.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom