Planet Hollywood unveils redesign for Disney Springs

TP2000

This redesign looks nice. An observatory to look at stars. Hollywood stars. Get it?

But I'm surprised to learn that Planet Hollywood is still a thing, and that they still have an operating restaurant somewhere. What a fun return to 1995! If I make it to Disney Springs on my next WDW visit, I'll have to remember to pack my acid wash jeans for my big night out at Planet Hollywood. Is the food still that horrible microwaved dreck they served in the 1990's?

What's next, someone is going to tell me that Seinfeld is still on the air and that Bill Clinton is still President? o_O

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, there are three additional Planet Hollywoods still operating in America. All of them opened in 1994-1996; Las Vegas, New York, and Myrtle Beach, plus the Orlando one that opened in 1994. These are the last remaining locations out of the original 38 Planet Hollywoods that once operated in the USA in the 1990's. Who knew?!

Last edited:

mm121

I can say I'm much more interested in eating in a star-filled observatory than I am next to props from Twins or the remake of Red Dawn.

(note, I have no idea what props are actually in this Planet Hollywood, I've never been, I just chose two movies at random)
the props are "classic hollywood" which I think is part of what contributed to planet hollywood's demise,

as if they would actually update the props or do traveling props, it would appeal more to young adults/teens and younger parents of the current generations.

rather than a bunch of old stuff on walls of movies that many have never heard about.
Yesterday (Feb 26) a Planet Hollywood manager said the back wall of the dome would be removed and replaced with two-story glass windows that will look out the back towards the new Disney Springs area currently under construction. The view will include the river and new buildings/bridges. Below is a photo of that area as of Feb 26.

View attachment 84608
while this sounds cool, I'd say its far fetched, as a curved glass panel would be insanely expensive, and allowing that much light in during the day would pretty much make creating the 'observatory" stars on the ceiling effect pointless.

This redesign looks nice. An observatory to look at stars. Hollywood stars. Get it?

But I'm surprised to learn that Planet Hollywood is still a thing, and that they still have an operating restaurant somewhere. What a fun return to 1995! If I make it to Disney Springs on my next WDW visit, I'll have to remember to pack my acid wash jeans for my big night out at Planet Hollywood. Is the food still that horrible microwaved dreck they served in the 1990's?

What's next, someone is going to tell me that Seinfeld is still on the air and that Bill Clinton is still President? o_O

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, there are three additional Planet Hollywoods still operating in America. All of them opened in 1994-1996; Las Vegas, New York, and Myrtle Beach, plus the Orlando one that opened in 1994. These are the last remaining locations out of the original 38 Planet Hollywoods that once operated in the USA in the 1990's. Who knew?!

Planet Hollywood died for many reasons, a primary one being lackluster food offerings along with going with the old 'classic hollywood" props instead of keeping it current.

would of been better to swap out props more often and keep the majority current with only a small "classics" section

halltd

I'm super impressed with this design (as I am with most of the Disney Springs makeover). While I've never been a fan of Planet Hollywood because their food has always been so horrible, I might actually give it a try again once this opens.

I'm also happy there are only four of these still in operation. It makes the location at Disney semi-unique again. When Downtown Disney only seemed to have establishments that could be found in every city across America, there didn't seem to be a reason to even go.

TP2000

Planet Hollywood died for many reasons, a primary one being lackluster food offerings along with going with the old 'classic hollywood" props instead of keeping it current.

Yeah, the food at Planet Hollywood was always really bad. Just truly horrible, even by 1990's standards.

I suppose if a big night out for you is Denny's or Applebee's or TGIFridays, a Planet Hollywood entrée on Night #4 of your Exciting Florida Vacation might be enticing. But anyone who has more than three tastebuds left should be able to tell that most of their stuff is flash-frozen microwaved carb bombs ladled with "sauce", served with a side of corn syrup and potatoes. And then there's the dessert menu, for those who truly hate their internals.

I'm honestly surprised that this far into the 21st century there are still three additional Planet Hollywood restaurants left in existence.

BD-Anaheim

Keep in mind that the repurposing and branding of the Planet Hollywood globe is to maintain contextual continuity with the Disney Springs story. When and if Planet Hollywood does belly-up, another restaurant operator can swoop into this location without any extensive exterior renovations needed.

Adam N

I actually like the food at PH. It's had some work done in the past few years and the offerings are pretty good. Our LA Lasagna is a deep fried lasagna served with both marinara and Alfredo sauces. Our ribs are a big seller, although I personally don't like eating meat on the bone. My favorite dish right now is either our Chicken Piccata or Chicken Marsala.

MarkTwain

It did mention that a change of menu is in the works as well. Hopefully that means Planet Hollywood is aware that their food is less than well-received, and is working to improve the quality of the food as well as their building.

The Empress Lilly

It's like putting lipstick on a pig ;) its unfortunately still Planet Hollywood but at least it will look nice on the outside. I won't set foot in that horrible place but at least it won't be an ugly blue faded cracked worn out monstrosity anymore.
amour3.gif

JEANYLASER

It's official let of the redesign of the Planet Hollywood observatory and who make announcement about the redesign of the Planet Hollywood observatory?:confused:

roj2323

Original Poster
while this sounds cool, I'd say its far fetched, as a curved glass panel would be insanely expensive, and allowing that much light in during the day would pretty much make creating the 'observatory" stars on the ceiling effect pointless.
I could see them faking it however with a LED panel or projection screen.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I may be in the minority here but I kinda think Planet Hollywood belongs more in/at DHS (like Rainforest Café is in/at AK) and was hoping that Observatory would become a new themed restaurant at Disney Springs

either way - it looks much better

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom