Split Stay Thoughts

OneDNP

Original Poster
I have a 3-day conference at CSR and my hubs and 22-month old son will be joining me. We plan on 5 park days plus an extra for MNSSHP over our 7 night trip. The debate is if we should do a split stay to a monorail resort, and if so, should we move on a Saturday (Halloween) or a Sunday. Leaning toward CR as I think poly will be booked up with the refurb finally finished, and even with a possible fall discount, I'm not sure GF will be worth it this go around. Would love a weigh-in from any folks who have done it!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Our last trip was a split stay and I must say I have mixed feelings about it and would question whether we would ever do it again. We arrived at AKL on Christmas Day 08 and stayed for 5 nights before moving onto GF for the final 4 nights.
The transfer of our luggage between resorts was simple and painless. However, the park time that we wasted packing our bags at AKL and then checking in and unpacking at GF can never be reclaimed. It was nice to have a second resort to find our way round (we're 100% park people) and the thrill of the short walk from room to monorail station was great. I saw no other advantage to switching resorts.

Pluto15

Hi

I would really recommend this. The luggage transfer is seamless and if it's two short stays you will be able pack
Luggage really quickly. It's just like a trip to the resorts when you move. Assuming you have car it will be really easy.

The benefits is its like two vacations within one. Just chill the day checking out have breakfast and maybe go to resort then wheh ready check in quickly unpack then head to Park closest to new resort. The pack unpack etc isn't that much of loss and I think it's exciting being in two places.

If most ppl were offered upgrade mid stay they would Defo take time to pack unpack and move.

I would go for it :)

OneDNP

Original Poster
Thanks folks! We won't have a car,so not sure if that makes a difference. We are not full-throttle park people as we love to enjoy resort time and I'm not sure what kind of touring Mr. Littles will be able to handle. If 7 days is borderline, maybe I should petition hubs for 8 nights ;)

Moving day was going to consist of dropping the bags at the front desk and heading to AK with an early lunch at Tusker House. I was going to pack suitcases based on resort so pack-up day would be mostly tossing in the dirties and re- packing toiletries. Any other tips?

ratherbeinwdw

I did a split in October. I, as you plan, packed suitcases for each resort. I had the advantage in that we had a car, so we didn't even bring in the suitcases for the second resort, and I had luggage size space bags for our dirty clothes. We simply put the dirty clothes in the space bags each day, so that on the morning we changed resorts, most stuff was already packed. We decided to move on a Saturday as that was an extra hours night at MK, so we didn't feel we had to rush to get to a park that day.

jeffk410

I have a 3-day conference at CSR and my hubs and 22-month old son will be joining me. We plan on 5 park days plus an extra for MNSSHP over our 7 night trip. The debate is if we should do a split stay to a monorail resort, and if so, should we move on a Saturday (Halloween) or a Sunday. Leaning toward CR as I think poly will be booked up with the refurb finally finished, and even with a possible fall discount, I'm not sure GF will be worth it this go around. Would love a weigh-in from any folks who have done it!

I've done split stays my past 4 trips and I've thoroughly enjoyed them. Disney makes the transition relatively seamless - only stress is packing up your bags. I'd definitely suggest it in your case!

Gaston's gal

We have done the split stay before. We used the day we switched to enjoy & explore our new resort. I have learned that it is important to have a chill day to replenish my energy supply. If you are doing MNSSHP, sounds like CR will be a good choice so you can walk leisurely from one location to the other. You will have a fabulous time. Enjoy!

OneDNP

Original Poster
Thanks! We are doing some theme park practice runs this spring/summer to gauge LOs tolerance. Thus far, he has a two-hour limit at the zoo. I anticipate a lot of pool time and half-days at the park.

slappy magoo

I was more down with split stays before having kids, now it seems like more a hassle than it's worth. Our last trip we got there a day early and had a single overnight bag for the family and spent it at Art of Animation, but unless you could really keep everything packed up so it's a minimum effort to move, it seems like that's time spent away from enjoying your vacation. And with a 22 month old, you're not going to be able to keep everything packed up.

OneDNP

Original Poster
I never think about DTD unless I am going to Cirque, but with all of the conversion to Disney Springs, it will be interesting closer to the end of the year to check out.

gooftroop5

Been there. Done that. Won't do it again........with the kids. Packing for 5 people is hard enough and having to pack AGAIN is not how I want to spend my vacation. :eek::D;) We like to settle in and not go anywhere. If it were just me and DH then I would consider it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom