Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

G00fyDad

Actually the one thing I like about the gopro over other cameras for filming fireworks and such is that it doesn't have an LCD screen on the back. It's just a small black box. I did do my best to make sure it wasn't in people's way still though. Normally I'd standing where no one was behind me, like with my back to a garden.

And in those cases you are the exception to the rule. I can just see some self-important indulged teenagers sitting in front of other people at a parade holding this thing up and getting indignant when someone calls them on it. "Its my vacation. I spent thousands to be here. Why shouldn't I be allowed to get a selfie or any good photo that I want?" This sort of thing almost makes me blackout.

Cesar R M

I love the video I got at WDW with my gopro on a stick. Why shouldn't I be able to use it? Because it might hit someone? Well, then you can't use a stroller anymore either. BTW, I used it for a week and didn't hit one person. I didn't do it to "look cool". I did it to have videos that I can watch forever to look back on a great trip. What a horrible crime.

We also always get memory maker, so no, we're not using it for selfies. We use the photopass photographers.
a gopro is tiny compared to these selfie sticks with their huge iphones/tablets.

Walt Disney1955

Alright, I am not a screaming old man in his 90s bashing the internet or nothing (I'm 34) but when did we become so vain in this world? Honestly, I have taken one or two selfies in my life and that was with my children who can't operate a camera (well, not very well) yet. Some people that is all they post on Facebook, it drives me nuts.

Plus, I was at a gathering the other day, there are LOTS of people there that I know. Three girls that I know are snapping a picture of themselves a "selfie". I walk past them and say "Do you want me to take a picture of you three?" They said no, and that was it. It made me think, there are lots of people in this room, we all know each other, since when are we that anti-social where we can't even ask our friends anymore to say "Hey can you get us in a picture together?" Remember when we used to ask strangers this?

DsnyFevr

Unfortunately, yes, they are quickly becoming popular (and annoying) at WDW. I sincerely hope they ban them.
34.gif
23.gif
Don't think they will ban them as it would be like banning umbrellas. Knowing Disney, they will probably start selling them.

Sans Souci

Something people don't realize, and I could be wrong about this, is that other guests can easily help you. There's nothing wrong with asking someone else to take a picture, it's all in how you approach someone to do it. You never know, you might ask a CM who is off for the day but in the park, or someone like myself, if I'm not trying to get somewhere or I see someone flag me down, I'll gladly help and give a little magic. Not all magical moments have to come from CM's or Disney, it could simply be from asking someone to take your picture.

But then they'll be too self conscious about about making silly pouting faces with lowered eye lids and looking off to the side "OMG I'm so sexy" faces.

Cesar R M

Don't think they will ban them as it would be like banning umbrellas. Knowing Disney, they will probably start selling them.
but umbrellas do not require to be randomly raised forward at random times.

As I said earlier, I used our "selfie stick" for a gopro and no I'm not so vain that I wanted constant video of myself. What I did want was to be able to look back at these videos of my fiance and I on the trip where we got engaged. There are genuine moments I caught on video simply because I was holding the stick with the gopro facing ourselves. These aren't staged emotions or fake smiles for a posed photo. These are just moments that I happened to catch because I was recording a lot of our time there. That's what I love about it. I can't get those genuine moments any other way.

you're sounding way too defensive imho.

mousehockey37

As I said earlier, I used our "selfie stick" for a gopro and no I'm not so vain that I wanted constant video of myself. What I did want was to be able to look back at these videos of my fiance and I on the trip where we got engaged. There are genuine moments I caught on video simply because I was holding the stick with the gopro facing ourselves. These aren't staged emotions or fake smiles for a posed photo. These are just moments that I happened to catch because I was recording a lot of our time there. That's what I love about it. I can't get those genuine moments any other way.

I'm sure everyone who uses a selfie stick has a reason for using it. Anyone can come up with any kind of defense and regardless of how sincere the purpose, it can still be adding to the problem. It's great that you got engaged and wanted to capture a majority of the trip on video, but is it really necessary? Just because you pose for a photo doesn't mean that the smile is fake.

The question is, how many genuine moments did you catch in regards to how many hours of video you took with the use of the stick?

It takes people to start a trend, no matter what the intent. This is another divided topic and it's seemingly going to become a bigger issue as these sticks catch on. The day is coming where Disney will have to make a call on these things and it's going to upset people either way. I just don't see how with the crowds that Disney has, these sticks have a place there. It's a safety hazard in many different ways and it's only a matter of time until something happens.

Arthur Wellesley

I'm thinking about inventing a new form of technology to come after the GoPro camera, the selfie stick, and so on. It'll be state-of-the-art in memory making, and it will last a lifetime. It'll be called: "Just Enjoy The D*mn Ride/Show/Parade". (J.E.T.D.R/S/P.)

Here's how it works:
You go to ride one of your favorite attractions, let's say HM. Rather than having to photograph every cool scene or make a video of the stretch room, you simply enjoy it. Not only do you get to see the full experience through your own eyes rather than some device, but you also keep from annoying other paying guests with your gadgets.

With J.E.T.D.R/S/P., instead of having to hold aloft an annoying ipad above your head & countless others to film Wishes, you simply stand with your family & enjoy the show instead. See it as it was meant to be seen.

Why have to hold a selfie stick to film gorillas at play in one of DAK's exhibits, when you can watch them for yourself! With my new invention it IS that easy!

Not only will my new technology cost you nothing, but it's guaranteed to make your vacation more hassle-free (as well as countless other guests & CM's). This will also give you a free hand that would otherwise be used holding some device the entire trip. But now, thanks to J.E.T.D.R/S/P...that hand will be gadgetless...and can be used for hugging your spouse or child, waving to your favorite character, or high-fiving your buddies for whatever reason people still high-five for these days. But you will not be a slave to some device having to click at every passing moment.

J.E.T.D.R/S/P: Making better vacations, one less click at a time!

Last edited:

GetAPaperBag

I'm thinking about inventing a new form of technology to come after the GoPro camera, the selfie stick, and so on. It'll be state-of-the-art in memory making, and it will last a lifetime. It'll be called: "Just Enjoy The D*mn Ride/Show/Parade". (J.E.T.D.R/S/P.)

Here's how it works:
You go to ride one of your favorite attractions, let's say HM. Rather than having to photograph every cool scene or make a video of the stretch room, you simply enjoy it. Not only do you get to see the full experience through your own eyes rather than some device, but you also keep from annoying other paying guests with your gadgets.

With J.E.T.D.R/S/P., instead of having to hold aloft an annoying ipad above your head & countless others to film Wishes, you simply stand with your family & enjoy the show instead. See it as it was meant to be seen.

Why have to hold a selfie stick to film two gorillas at play in one of DAK's exhibits, when you can watch them for yourself! With my new invention it IS that easy!

Not only will my new technology cost you nothing, but it's guaranteed to make your vacation more hassle-free (as well as countless other guests & CM's). This will also give you a free hand that would otherwise be used holding some device the entire trip. But now, thanks to J.E.T.D.R/S/P...that hand will be gadgetless...and can be used for hugging your spouse or child, waving to your favorite character, or high-fiving your buddies for whatever reason people still high-five for these days. But you will not be a slave to some device having to click at every passing moment.

What a bunch of miserable people frequent this board. Every thread is nothing but complaints. Who are the ones that can't simply relax and enjoy the parks?

mousehockey37

What a bunch of miserable people frequent this board. Every thread is nothing but complaints. Who are the ones that can't simply relax and enjoy the parks?

Well, we're not miserable. We're in a discussion of a device that makes us unable to "simply relax and enjoy the parks".

Here's how it works:

Why have to hold a selfie stick to film two gorillas at play in one of DAK's exhibits, when you can watch them for yourself! With my new invention it IS that easy!

I LOVE IT!!!! I use my DSLR to capture moments, but there's a lot of time where I'm taking things in and all I have is the memory of what happened. There's a lot of magical things that happened that my camera didn't catch and all I have is the story to tell... Doesn't bother me any and the HD playback of the memory is far superior to any video or picture I could get. Sure, if I caught a moment in a photo (or a Photopass photographer did using my equipment) it helps to jog the memory, but it can't take place of replaying over and over in my head.

mousehockey37

How ironic is it to post a reply complaining about complaining?

If there wasn't a place for people to discuss (or complain as some call it) the faults of things at Disney or anywhere for that matter (on any kind of message board/forum), how would people ever know what is wrong?

ABQ

And in those cases you are the exception to the rule. I can just see some self-important indulged teenagers sitting in front of other people at a parade holding this thing up and getting indignant when someone calls them on it. "Its my vacation. I spent thousands to be here. Why shouldn't I be allowed to get a selfie or any good photo that I want?" This sort of thing almost makes me blackout.
It was an inconsiderate nimrod with a go pro on a stick that reached out over my dinner table at the Rose and Crown to film Illuminations. 4 of us at the table had to use all our self control to not yank the stick and toss it in the World Showcase Lagoon. This person had no right to do this but didn't appear to care at all as in their mind the camera was up above and not in our line of sight. be that as it may, it annoyed the heck out of us, we let the staff know after the fact as we did not wish to make a scene during the fireworks, but really, on what basis could this behavior every be considered acceptable.

mousehockey37

It was an inconsiderate nimrod with a go pro on a stick that reached out over my dinner table at the Rose and Crown to film Illuminations. 4 of us at the table had to use all our self control to not yank the stick and toss it in the World Showcase Lagoon. This person had no right to do this but didn't appear to care at all as in their mind the camera was up above and not in our line of sight. be that as it may, it annoyed the heck out of us, we let the staff know after the fact as we did not wish to make a scene during the fireworks, but really, on what basis could this behavior every be considered acceptable.

I'm impressed with your composure. Like you said, if that had been me with you, that thing would've been in the lagoon...

Tom

Beta Return

Here's how it works:

Do you have a Go Fund Me account setup for this? If so, I'd like to contribute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom