The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

TP2000

On another note, "small world" is looking amazing. @TP2000 and @GiveMeTheMusic, when was the last time you saw "small world" this clean?

Did you just call me old? :cool:

I haven't seen it in person yet, but from that photo that version of the Small World paint job reminds me of 1978. Super white, super bright, super crisp.

And I say 1978, because that's about the era when I distinctly remember this album being in my living room HiFi album rack. Disco!

Why didn't I keep this record?!?
1973+MIKE+CURB+CONGREGATION+Its+A+Small+World+Vintage+Vinyl+LP+Record+Album+Disney+Songs+1970s+A.jpg

VJ

I haven't seen it in person yet, but from that photo that version of the Small World paint job reminds me of 1978. Super white, super bright, super crisp.

And I say 1978, because that's about the era when I distinctly remember this album being in my living room HiFi album rack. Disco!

1973+MIKE+CURB+CONGREGATION+Its+A+Small+World+Vintage+Vinyl+LP+Record+Album+Disney+Songs+1970s+A.jpg
Sorta related, but I've been looking for info about that album forever! Every release I've seen uses a modern-looking album cover with a release date of 1995, yet you listen to the music and there's no way it's from 1995. I'm guessing 1978 is more accurate to the original album's release, moreso than 1995 anyway. Thanks for posting the picture!

Sage of Time

I understand now. SBC will manage, it's big enough. It's not like it's the size of a golf ball.
Nah, you're thinking of Spaceship Earth.

*runs*

Well they might use Projection Mapping on the Castle this year.
I think it's pretty much confirmed that they are.

I wonder where the projectors will be.

That's beautiful.

TP2000

Sorta related, but I've been looking for info about that album forever! Every release I've seen uses a modern-looking album cover with a release date of 1995, yet you listen to the music and there's no way it's from 1995. I'm guessing 1978 is more accurate to the original album's release, moreso than 1995 anyway. Thanks for posting the picture!

I'm inspired to hunt through the garage tomorrow and see if maybe I can find that album again.

Judging by the hairdos and clothes on the singers, the record would have been released earlier in the 70's: 1972-74. But it was still in my living room listening stack in the late 70's, around 1978-79.

EDIT: Bingo! According to the Interwebz, this record was released in 1973. I don't like to brag, but I have an innate ability to look at a picture taken in the mid to late 20th century and identify its vintage within two or three years based on hairdos, hemlines, fashions and interior design. I'm particularly good at pictures from the 1960's and 70's. It's a gift I have, and it makes me incredibly popular at parties. :D

Trying desperately to get this back On Topic... You know what we haven't heard much about? The rumored "Nostalgia!" aspect of the 60th Anniversary. The Miceage Updates for the past year have said that the 60th will have a huge nostalgia aspect, with stuff like the 1960's Christmas Star returning to the Matterhorn, Hatbox Ghost returning to Haunted Mansion, and such. But the official 60th announcement last month rolled out the new entertainment, but didn't really mention nostalgia or anything related to that for the 60th. Hmm...

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Trying desperately to get this back On Topic... You know what we haven't heard much about? The rumored "Nostalgia!" aspect of the 60th Anniversary. The Miceage Updates for the past year have said that the 60th will have a huge nostalgia aspect, with stuff like the 1960's Christmas Star returning to the Matterhorn, Hatbox Ghost returning to Haunted Mansion, and such. But the official 60th announcement last month rolled out the new entertainment, but didn't really mention nostalgia or anything related to that for the 60th. Hmm...

You're right, TP. There hasn't been any mention of nostalgia. I was thinking maybe the Walt-themed WoC would count, but that's more history than nostalgia.

I think it's almost safe to say Hatbox is coming back. I truly don't understand why the Disney Parks Blogs came out with that article where they had people guess what was going in the Mansion, then refused to actually tell us. Stupid. I can't imagine it being difficult to put the star back on Matterhorn during Christmas. The nostalgia idea can be pulled off in multiple ways.

I really wish Disney announced everything at once instead of bit by bit. I don't remember them doing that for the 50th. They've just left us Disneyland folk continuing to guess what our little park is getting for its birthday. It's annoying.

TP2000

I truly don't understand why the Disney Parks Blogs came out with that article where they had people guess what was going in the Mansion, then refused to actually tell us. Stupid. .

Disney's once-vaunted Social Media department seems to have gone completely off the rails in advance of the 60th. They appear to be clueless, and act like we can only tune in to their channel on the Internet and don't have access to Micechat, Miceage Updates, and various message boards like this one.

Disney's Social Media team is really missing the boat here. Or as you so aptly put it... Stupid.

TP2000

The Castle is all done! Photos from yesterday taken for Monday's always excellent Dateline Disneyland report. http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.com/DisneylandResort/2015/022815/

What's that at the end of the street? It's so tiny. It can't be a corporate icon, can it? (WDW managers should note the streetcar, a fire engine, and an Omnibus sharing the road.)
IMG_3571-L.jpg

Oh, it's Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle! Your park still looks fabulous, Walt!
DSC_2402-L.jpg

Moat is full. @raven24 has a good point that they should bring back the swans for the 60th.
DSC_2445-L.jpg

The back side, that was supposed to be the front side until Walt changed his mind.
DSC_2508-L.jpg

A Mom brought the newest residents of Disneyland over to see the Castle. Whaddya think kids?
DSC_2606-L.jpg

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The Castle is all done! Photos from yesterday taken for Monday's always excellent Dateline Disneyland report. http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.com/DisneylandResort/2015/022815/

What's that at the end of the street? It's so tiny. It can't be a corporate icon, can it? (WDW managers should note the streetcar, a fire engine, and an Omnibus sharing the road.)
IMG_3571-L.jpg

Oh, it's Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle! Your park still looks fabulous, Walt!
DSC_2402-L.jpg

Moat is full. @raven24 has a good point that they should bring back the swans for the 60th.
DSC_2445-L.jpg

The back side, that was supposed to be the front side until Walt changed his mind.
DSC_2508-L.jpg

A Mom brought the newest residents of Disneyland over to see the Castle. Whaddya think kids?
DSC_2606-L.jpg

It shouldn't be hard to ship in a few swans. Disney should do it.

The castle is noticeably lighter. I think mother duck and her ducklings would approve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom