Pre-Trip It's been 5 years. That's not OK. So I'm going back! 5/15-5/19

Hello everyone!

I'm so glad for this outlet to talk about the upcoming trip and all the planning. I used to go to Disney 2-3 times a year and then I started my own business and things got tight financially and time-wise and I just fell out of the routine.

So now I've got a job where I can be gone and have a consistent salary... and well, its just time to return to the magic!

So, I've booked a trip for Friday, March 15th - Tuesday, March 19th. I'd rather go longer but this is what's doable now and I think I'll be able to squeeze nearly everything I want to do into my schedule. I'm flying down with a friend who will stay through Memorial Day due to her love of all things Star Wars. We have a blast together so I'm really looking forward to this.

We fly out in the morning and should arrive in Orlando by 11:30. We're staying at Pop Century. I've booked a Preferred room and asked very nicely for a King-sized bed. You used to be able to fax them a letter about 10 days ahead and make requests like this... does anyone know if this works anymore?

I've made some reservations for us... just as pre-emptive things. Not sure if we'll actually follow through and it looks like as long as I give them a day's notice, there's no penalty for canceling. I'll have more details in a future post.

I am so excited!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

We're going back to The World this August - we were last there Christmas / New Year 2008/09 - we're pretty hyped up about it too.
Looking forward to the rest of your pre trip report

kirksheppard

Original Poster
76 Days and counting...

Let's talk food today. Because I only have 3 1/2 days I need to maximize the experience so I've made the following dining reservations:

Friday 5/15 @ 4:45 - Sci Fi Dine In
Sunday 5/16 @ 4:30 - Le Cellier
Monday 5/17 @ 11:35 - Liberty Tree Tavern

My friend is a complete Star Wars fangirl so she's being very kind to agree to pull herself away from Star Wars Weekend stuff to do other things . . . but even if she didn't, I'd just go do it alone. We're good like that.

Now, as soon as its all gone from my refridgerator at home and/or by March 15th, I will be going soda pop-free. I would like to lose about 20 pounds before the trip mostly so I can fit comfortably on the plane and a few of the rides that are a tight(er) fit. Plus, water is usually free so its a good cost saving exercise.

Oh and speaking of exercise, I will also start using the treadmill and pool at my apartment more regularly. Last time I calculated I easily walk 6-7 miles a day at Disney World. Given that I'm tired after driving that far right now, I need to plan for this trip. So . . . look for ongoing updates about that here, too!

Even if no one reads it, at least I'm accountable to... someone? Right?

76 days!!!!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Good luck with your fitness regime - exercise slowly and sensibly at first. If you over do it in the first few days you'll ache too much or injure yourself and not want to continue.

Sensible eating and an acheivable exercise plan is the key

kirksheppard

Original Poster
We're now at 75 days. It's too early to pack, right? :)

Seriously, though, I did four loads of laundry today and found my summer stuff and thought... I'm gonna need that soon! So exciting.

Today I want to talk about my Must Dos at Animal Kingdom:

First, I must see Festival of the Lion King in its new theatre. I also must take a ride on the Kilamanjaro Safari.

I'd like to see Nemo, I'd like to take a ride on Dinosaur, and I'd like to see "Its Tough to Be a Bug." I can live with or without Expedition: Everest.

I'd like to eat at Flame Tree BBQ.

I'd be completely satisfied with the must dos and a couple of the want tos. What do you think? What are your must dos at AK? I've only got 3 1/2 days to spend this trip so I gotta budget my time wisely...

kirksheppard

Original Poster
They're predicting anywhere from 2-12 inches of snow tomorrow evening into Thursday and I can't help but watch my Travel Channel DVDs about Walt Disney World. Right now its WALT DISNEY WORLD: BEHIND THE SCENES.

So, we talked about my must do's and want to's at Animal Kingdom. Let's talk Epcot today.

MUST DO: Soarin, Living with the Land, Test Track, Spaceship Earth

Want tos: Le Cellier (booked for now), The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Club Cool, Journey into Imagination

And of course, I want to get as many landscape photos of the beautiful flowers and gardens as I can.

What do you love about Epcot?

jlthomas81

Honestly, I am one of those crazy people that loves the World Showcase! I love walking around the whole thing and feeling immersed in every culture as I go through....not to mention eating a drinking my way through! We explore the Pavilions and relax more while at Epcot....I guess thats why I love it so much.

kirksheppard

Original Poster
I love doing that, too. Its just with 3 1/2 days this time, I don't think I'll have much "meandering" time at Epcot. But hopefully! :)

FlaggNL

Wow...just 70 days left :) 225 for us :) Your plans look great! Enjoy the pre feelings! And good luck with the 20 pounds regime, I have to do the same the next couple of months....

kirksheppard

Original Poster
We're getting close to the 60 day mark... I should be able to book my FP+ then, right, because I'm staying on site and have purchased my tickets?

Allym146

How exciting for you! We also have a hard time getting time and $ to go away with my H becoming the owner of the company he used to work for. Being his own boss has perks, but sometimes I'd appreciate a guaranteed 3 weeks vacation or something! Wishing you well on the exercise/weightloss plan. How's it going! Having a goal and deadline is always good motivation for me!

kirksheppard

Original Poster
Tonight at midnight will ring the 60 day mark... so today is my last day of food-freedom. :) I had a gorgeous buffet for lunch and will probably eat a pizza for dinner and that'll be that. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Here's what I'm thinking for FP+ . . . and I know that I'm weird in some of my selections but I tend to do Disney different than most:

Friday:
Toy Story Mania
Star Tours (mind you, we're there for Star Wars Weekends so it'll be crowded)
Tower of Terror

Saturday:
probably Toy Story Mania again

I'm sneaking over to Epcot in the afternoon and so I might grab one for Soarin and use the the single rider for Test Track. I also might get one for the character spot so I can get some photos with Mickey and the gang with a minimal wait.

Sunday:
Starting at Animal Kingdom - will ride Safari first thing, will watch FotLK, and will probably get a fast pass for Everest (though I'd live without even riding it... it makes me nauseous).

Monday:
Peter Pan's Flight
Parade
Wishes

Thoughts?

kirksheppard

Original Poster
Question for those of you who can relate... I'm 6'4 and 325 (ok, 350 but I look 325!) and am wondering about whether or not I'm going to be able to squeeze myself on to the Seven Dwarf's Mine Coaster...

I've read warnings that it's a tight fit for even more "normal" sized folks. Is it even worth trying?

mrdrift

Great fast passes choices. I have also hear so many different reviews about big and tall people on the ride, with some making it and others not. Give it a try and if it doesn't work out then maybe they can get you another past pass to another ride coupon. Just have fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom