The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Really? I remember the Cherry Trees and the nice sitting areas where we would eat our ice cream on the benches when my kids were young. Same way I never forgot what the Chinese Theater looked like at the 'ole MGM at the end of the street. I remember the pretty fountains that are now flowerpots when you came into Epcot along with how nice it was before the monuments. My DS when young loved the old Fire Department that use to be up in Town Square in the MK. I know it doesn't reverse the changes however for those who saw good imagineering in its glory I don't think most forget what it once was.

My DD doesn't remember the Studios without the Hat and was kinda sad it was going. Today she forwarded me a photo she saw with the full theater exposed from down the street. She loved it and finally understood why I objected to the Hat where it was placed. So sometimes though rarely What is Done, gets undone.

Yes, really.
I said/posted MOST PEOPLE. I'm not talking about folks like you and I (which is a much smaller percentage). I'm talking about the millions that have only visited once or a few times over the years, as well as the millions that have yet to visit over the next 10 years.
Actually, I'll even remove myself from the "you and I". You've been there MANY more times than I have over the years. The only reason I know as much as I do about the history of WDW is because I visit websites like this and read/own many books about it. Think of all those who don't do that, because they just don't care.
In the simplest terms, you mostly mourn because you miss, I mostly mourn because I never got to experience, or I experienced so long ago that my memories are more vague, thus less important, and many, many more don't mourn at all, because they just don't care, or have yet to visit.
As you said/posted, although most that GOT to experience what it once was may not have forgotten, I also think MOST never got to experience it in the first place, and/or again, the memories are vague and less important.
I stand by my original statement.
10 years from now, MOST PEOPLE...

Regarding the, I guess loose, BAH and Hub comparison.
Quite simply, the BAH was announced (best I can remember) as temporary and plopped down ON the hard/landscape as such. The complete overhaul of THE hard/landscape of the Hub, not so much.

donaldtoo

Ha! You just described Cali

10968536_796510020424224_398961865526215257_n.jpg

Now, I'm really disappointed.
A giant, blown up Herb Ryman castle rendering on scrims is not the same thing as a giant, blow up primary-colored castle. :(

;) :)

donaldtoo

I really like how you stated all this. Agree on all points. As to @donaldtoo , many will forget how the hub once looked, and that's sad. (Others probably won't even care.) However, (even though it's a theme park and not some famous battle scene or other major notable event), history is still history, and worth preserving.

Things will always change, to a point, over time (whether I like it or not), but the quality of the refurb is, IMO, the cheap way out. Actually, there aren't any changes to Main Street USA or the Hub that I like at all.

So, from a historical (and personal preference) I can't just "let it go" and forget nice touches like trees, real grass, benches, and so much more. I'd actually love it if they created a nicely done sign over to a side, that would show the Hub before and after, and they could put their "spin" on it, like "the new streamlined modern look" :eek:. But at least it would provide some sort of acknowledgement to guests (old and new) that WDW is giving a nod to their "history" of Walt's Main Street USA and Hub. Will never happen. Just wishful thinking . . . :(

Yes, as I think I've also made pretty clear here recently, I also think it's sad and cheap. Obviously, for the most part, I'm as big on remembering the glorious past of WDW as the next fan. It just doesn't change the cold, hard fact that, 10 years from now, MOST who visit won't know the difference, remember, or care.

StarWarsGirl

Yes. I read your comments and 100% support your respectful view for all the wdw guests. For those who just enjoy being holier than thou your logic will always escape that demographic. Kudos.
That thread. Oh my, that thread. I love the people who are saying, "You need to eliminate the smoking areas because of the asthmatics!" Really? You know what will happen if you eliminate smoking areas? People will continue to smoke, but they will do it wherever they want. And ya know who that will then become a problem for? Asthmatics! Asthmatics can avoid the smoking areas. Can't avoid someone smoking where they're not supposed to. Smoking in nondesignated areas is already a problem, and you want to make it worse?

Some people are so thick

StarWarsGirl

I feel as if I have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest about the topic of smoking in the parks. Can I hide in here until all the folks with pitchforks get tired and go home? :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
You caused nothing. You respectfully communicated your views. I think most people at least partially agreed with you

A few people decided to be arrogant and rude, and they got called out for it. Not your fault at all

Goofyernmost

You caused nothing. You respectfully communicated your views. I think most people at least partially agreed with you

A few people decided to be arrogant and rude, and they got called out for it. Not your fault at all
Thanks for the support. I think I knew when I commented that I would get some reaction. I was actually pleased that many understood the point I was trying to make. I certainly wasn't wanting to promote smoking, just to defend those that still have that horrible addiction. One that someone without it have absolutely no understanding off. They don't know the feelings or the personality alterations that forced abstinence (I'm talking about smoking here, @JenniferS, don't get carried away) can cause. How it is totally without any compassion for those that are fighting it or even how those that aren't trying are made to feel less then human. Couple that with the anti-vaxxers type misrepresentation the results of exposure to, so called, second hand smoke actually represents.

As a person with asthma, I know that your possible reaction may be quite real, but, for most people it does not really cause any negative things at all. Those legitimate reasons are why so many willingly trudge to the designated areas. It's because they don't really want to upset or hurt anyone. It's bad enough that they are doing it to themselves. Then once they (we at one point) finally agreed to being pushed out of society, that wasn't enough. Then it was we don't want you to even exist, we are so much stronger and better then you dirty smokers are. It just plain frustrates me. Ex-smokers are sometimes the worst of the bunch. Sadly, I am a bit of a freak and have never thought the same way that most others do.

I went through it when I decided to quit. I really liked to smoke, but, I knew that it was getting to the point of being viewed as almost criminal activity, plus it was getting more and more expensive. It only made sense to quit, but, I did it because I wanted too. The more people passive aggressively attempted to make me stop, the more determined I got to continue just to upset them. Stupid? Absolutely, but there sometimes is no figuring out just what makes the human mind tick.

Sorry about carrying it on. I'm going to stop now. It is just a wound that will not heal.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Thanks for the support. I think I knew when I commented that I would get some reaction. I was actually pleased that many understood the point I was trying to make. I certainly wasn't wanting to promote smoking, just to defend those that still have that horrible addiction. One that someone without it have absolutely no understanding off. They don't know the feelings or the personality alterations that forced abstinence (I'm talking about smoking here, @JenniferS, don't get carried away) can cause. How it is totally without any compassion for those that are fighting it or even how those that aren't trying are made to feel less then human. Couple that with the anti-vaxxers type misrepresentation the results of exposure to, so called, second hand smoke actually represents.

As a person with asthma, I know that your possible reaction may be quite real, but, for most people it does not really cause any negative things at all. Those legitimate reasons are why so many willingly trudge to the designated areas. It's because they don't really want to upset or hurt anyone. It's bad enough that they are doing it to themselves. Then once they (we at one point) finally agreed to being pushed out of society, that wasn't enough. Then it was we don't want you to even exist, we are so much stronger and better then you dirty smokers are. It just plain frustrates me. Ex-smokers are sometimes the worst of the bunch. Sadly, I am a bit of a freak and have never thought the same way that most others do.

I went through it when I decided to quit. I really liked to smoke, but, I knew that it was getting to the point of being viewed as almost criminal activity, plus it was getting more and more expensive. It only made sense to quit, but, I did it because I wanted too. The more people passive aggressively attempted to make me stop, the more determined I got to continue just to upset them. Stupid? Absolutely, but there sometimes is no figuring out just what makes the human mind tick.

Sorry about carrying it on. I'm going to stop now. It is just a wound that will not heal.
I didn't post in that thread, 'cause I knew it would be a no win; I did, however, throw you a couple of likes.

I'll post here.
I hate smoking. I hate everything about it.
My dad died from lung cancer, caused by smoking.
My mom died from a burst abdominal aortic aneurism, caused by smoking.
They were both all of 62.

My mom lived with us for her final 7 months. I would sob some mornings listening to her cough so hard that she would retch and gag.
I still cry more days than not over the loss of my dad. Right up until he got sick, he was still my Superman.

I
HATE
SMOKING!

That being said, it is still legal; millions of people are still trapped in its evil talons; and to treat smokers with contempt and disdain reflects poorly on those of us so blessed to have quit or to have never started.

Smoking areas need to exist, so that smokers can step out of the main thorough-fares and satisfy their craving, without subjecting non-smokers to an excess of second hand smoke.
Clearly marked park maps allow those who are smoke-sensitive to avoid those areas altogether.
Thankfully, the castle ramp area is being re-located, as it wasn't really far enough off the beaten path; much like the Aloha Isle smoking area that was moved last year.

There are enough hidden corners in the parks and resorts to accomodate both smokers and non-smokers alike.

StarWarsGirl

It's an addiction. And nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on Earth. It's so extremely hard to quit that while I would like it for everyone in the world to quit, both for their health and mine, it's not going to happen. Quitting is hard. I also can't fault people who are your age for still smoking. It was something that people did socially; people weren't as aware that it's so bad for your health. And like I said, it's not easy to quit. I'm in favor of keeping smoking areas, and as an asthmatic, it's my responsibility to avoid them, just like I avoid perfume shops. I am glad to see that poorly placed smoking area gone.

There are just a lot of rude smokers out there. I'm hypersensitive to cigarette smoke, so I can tell you when people are smoking where they are not supposed to (when I was in high school, I caught a set of students cutting class and smoking in the stairwell. Could tell that they were smoking). In WDW, it's pretty much a daily thing where I encounter someone smoking where they are not supposed to. Which is also why I am in favor of keeping the smoking areas, because if that problem is bad now, can you imagine how it would be if there were no smoking areas? A lot of smokers are polite, but there are still many that aren't. I really do not mind polite smokers, though, who clean up after themselves and smoke only where they are supposed to. My lungs and I thank them for their consideration.

Goofyernmost

I didn't post in that thread, 'cause I knew it would be a no win; I did, however, throw you a couple of likes.

I'll post here.
I hate smoking. I hate everything about it.
My dad died from lung cancer, caused by smoking.
My mom died from a burst abdominal aortic aneurism, caused by smoking.
They were both all of 62.

My mom lived with us for her final 7 months. I would sob some mornings listening to her cough so hard that she would retch and gag.
I still cry more days than not over the loss of my dad. Right up until he got sick, he was still my Superman.

I
HATE
SMOKING!

That being said, it is still legal; millions of people are still trapped in its evil talons; and to treat smokers with contempt and disdain reflects poorly on those of us so blessed to have quit or to have never started.

Smoking areas need to exist, so that smokers can step out of the main thorough-fares and satisfy their craving, without subjecting non-smokers to an excess of second hand smoke.
Clearly marked park maps allow those who are smoke-sensitive to avoid those areas altogether.
Thankfully, the castle ramp area is being re-located, as it wasn't really far enough off the beaten path; much like the Aloha Isle smoking area that was moved last year.

There are enough hidden corners in the parks and resorts to accomodate both smokers and non-smokers alike.
Thanks Jennifer... You just summed up exactly what I have been trying to communicate. I feel your loss and understand that you, of all people should hate smoking. That, however, is not a reason to hate smokers. They are living in their own, self imposed hell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom