Universal Orlando Getting Bigger, Better, Wetter, Wilder

mahnamahna101

If half of those things happen by 2020, that would be astonishing.

But if nothing else, your list goes to show that Universal's not suffering for space. There's plenty that can be added and improved with the current resort footprint.

(Of course, as someone pointed out, there's a high school track close to the berm. Guess Universal wishes it had the "blessing of size". :rolleyes:)
Well, there's plenty of room in the current parks. The space just isn't well-utilized.

In IOA:
  1. Doom/Carnage warehouse
  2. All of Toon Lagoon except Popeye
  3. arguably JPRA
  4. Trikes plot
  5. Discovery Center
  6. Dragon Challenge :p (perfect spot for Forbidden Forest expansion though)
  7. almost all of Lost Continent
  8. plot by Cat
  9. Sneetch Beach
In USF:
  1. Shrek/Lucy area
  2. Twister
  3. San Fransisco
  4. Fear Factor
  5. MIB/Springfield mystery plot
  6. all of KidZone except E.T.
IOA has more potential though... there's more expansion space and wider possibilities. Not to mention they could always bulldoze NBA City and a couple soundstages if they wanted to enlarge the LC or Seuss footprints.

Funmeister

Neither resort will have a major addition in 2015.

Frozen vs. Kong in 2016 will be a win for Disney.

2017, all we have announced is Avatar thus far for either resort.

Disney withstood Potter phase 2, and they will be able to withstand whatever else Universal throws at them.

Once again, the theme park wars are not determined by who has the fastest, biggest attraction. The real war is per cap and night stays. You knew that though....right?

Kman101

I love Universal but they aren't overtaking Disney anytime soon. It's going to take a lot to change that. They're ON THE WAY to doing that, but they still have a long way to go. And while Universal has a lot on their plate, I just want to point out they aren't adverse to following WDW and riding high on their success. That's not happening yet, but it will (and wasn't it just said they greenlit some things that were pushed off ....). Not trying to be a downer, but there has to be a bit of reality in here too.

mahnamahna101

I love Universal but they aren't overtaking Disney anytime soon. It's going to take a lot to change that. They're ON THE WAY to doing that, but they still have a long way to go. And while Universal has a lot on their plate, I just want to point out they aren't adverse to following WDW and riding high on their success. That's not happening yet, but it will (and wasn't it just said they greenlit some things that were pushed off ....). Not trying to be a downer, but there has to be a bit of reality in here too.
To be honest, if USF and IOA are both past 10 million guests each by 2021, that's a major victory. Universal doesn't have to be Disney. Their attractions cost far less and they're a smaller resort for the time being.

3 gates with 10-11m guests and a water park with 3-4m a year is solid enough :)

Funmeister

Ugh...define overtake. This is not a game of RISK. Every penny that is spent on Universal property is a penny not spent on Disney property. Every penny Universal gains IS overtaking a penny from Disney.

JWG

I'm not quite sure I've joined the right Disney site. Seemingly ones here are waiting on the demise of the mouse.

No, I think you've come to a site where folks have become tired of Disney declining by degrees and taking an approach that quality and show no longer matter more than anything else. That a premium brand, charging a premium price, seems to be offering a discounted product.

Mike S

They will never fully overtake Disney imo. What they will do is become their own complete destination. But then again things we never thought possible have happened before so let's just wait and see.

Funmeister

You guys are hilarious. Disney is doing just fine. There are things that would be great to see fixed up, but they are not struggling by ANY means.

First, who said they are struggling? You did. Second, you have never worked for Disney (in a professional capacity...not in parks) have you? What is your cubicle number at Maingate and I will stop by next time I am there.

H2O_Mouse-Ears

I will say right here and now that Avatar does not have a thing on Universal. While I think it will increase attendance at AK to some degree, I highly doubt it will really draw in the crowds like Disney thinks it will.

I'm sure Disney is looking at this article and saying "whatever. More attractions based on currently marketable characters put in misplaced areas of the park!"
On what basis is this statement being made? It seems very difficult to make such an assumption at this point in time.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
You must be new to WDW fandom if you're impressed by the .
No, I think you've come to a site where folks have become tired of Disney declining by degrees and taking an approach that quality and show no longer matter more than anything else. That a premium brand, charging a premium price, seems to be offering a discounted product.
Not at all. Just the line of think that Universal with somehow overtake Disney. I agree for the most part that Universal is doing a good job, but it's going to take a little more than what they are doing, or trying to do in my opinion. I'm not new though.

Kman101

Ugh...define overtake. This is not a game of RISK. Every penny that is spent on Universal property is a penny not spent on Disney property. Every penny Universal gains IS overtaking a penny from Disney.

In that sense, sure.

Universal is taking risks. And I'm thrilled.

I still don't see them taking over as the destination resort in Florida. Mike said it best in that it will become it's own destination.

TalkingHead

Not at all. Just the line of think that Universal with somehow overtake Disney. I agree for the most part that Universal is doing a good job, but it's going to take a little more than what they are doing, or trying to do in my opinion. I'm not new though.

Depends how you define "overtake." Is IOA going to have a higher gate count than MK? No way.

But if you're measuring the two resorts based on the subjective metric of "Now, that's impressive," then, yes, I'd say Uni's new offerings have overtaken WDW's new offerings.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

In that sense, sure.

Universal is taking risks. And I'm thrilled.

I still don't see them taking over as the destination resort in Florida. Mike said it best in that it will become it's own destination.

Exactly. Universal is just stepping up their game and doing a great job of making their own brand known. This isn't a war, it's a coming of age for Universal.

Kman101

To be honest, if USF and IOA are both past 10 million guests each by 2021, that's a major victory. Universal doesn't have to be Disney. Their attractions cost far less and they're a smaller resort for the time being.

3 gates with 10-11m guests and a water park with 3-4m a year is solid enough :)

Exactly.

And with the bold, exactly again.

They're very different resorts.

I'm championing them doing well but I simply stated I don't see Universal overtaking Disney right now with attendance. "Maybe" is a long way off. Possible? Sure.

That's all I'm trying to say. Some have Universal already overtaking Disney and have it on a very high pedestal as they can do no wrong. I just want to see a bit more realism. And that doesn't mean being sarcastic (that wasn't directed towards you at all) by trying to find a fault. It's just ... let's wait and see. Universal is riding high but can stop at anytime to ride off their own success. I'm just trying to be realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom