Getting a cot in a Villa?

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Hello all!
I am looking into staying at the Boardwalk Villas next February with my DH, DS 16, DD 14 & DD 2. The Boardwalk Villas 1 bedroom only offer a full pull out and I didn't want to make the 16 & 14 year old sleep together... Would I be able to ask for a cot or something for one of them to sleep on???

As usual, thanks for all your help!!!

Weather_Lady

I sympathize with your conundrum! We had the same issue/question at Wilderness Lodge Villas last year. (Although we were a party of 6 staying in a 2-bedroom villa with 3 different beds plus a foldout, we wanted to confine sleeping solely to the bedrooms and the ages, genders and relationships of our party members required four different sleeping spaces in the bedrooms.)

The short answer is no, you cannot get a cot or fold-out bed at any of the Villas. If you Google it, you may find a Disney "Mom's Panel" Q&A wherein the "Mom" says you can borrow hide-a-beds at the Villas. That is just flat-out incorrect, as I confirmed with several CMs in several departments before our trip, and again at the front desk when we checked in. :(

We ended up bringing our own twin-sized inflatable air mattress and placing it on the floor of the "master" bedroom. (Deflated, folded up and with a battery-operated pump, it took up about 1/3 of the space in a carryon-sized rolling duffle bag). If you didn't want to travel with one, you could order an inexpensive one from Amazon or Walmart.com, timed to be delivered to your resort a day or so before you arrive. (Just have the name associated with your WDW reservation, and expected arrival date, on the shipping label.)

Another option would be to change up the sleeping arrangement -- put your husband and son on the fold-out, while you and your daughters take the king-sized bed (in a 1-bedroom) or the queen bed + the Murphy bed (in a studio).

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We just brought a twin-sized inflatable bed with us, and that worked great for our sons at the time. Just deflate and roll up in the mornings, then inflate for sleeping.

Last edited:

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I know that in the hotel rooms they're available... I don't see why they wouldn't be available staying in the Villa. I don't see why they wouldn't want to accommodate our large family, especially when there is only 4 of us. I mean what if they were in their twenties? They wouldn't be able to share a bed comfortably. Just saying

daisyduckie

I know that in the hotel rooms they're available... I don't see why they wouldn't be available staying in the Villa. I don't see why they wouldn't want to accommodate our large family, especially when there is only 4 of us. I mean what if they were in their twenties? They wouldn't be able to share a bed comfortably. Just saying

Most Disney resorts no longer have cots. And those that do have very few. I believe it is to discourage those guests who may try and sneak in extra people without paying. Plus, with queen beds in all moderate and deluxe rooms, there isn't a ton of floor space left.

I also think that we each are responsible for booking a resort room that fits all of our needs, bed set up included. I know it is something we consider when traveling.

DisneyMusician2

There are several Villa properties that accommodate the 5th adult plus the pack and play in the one bedroom, Boardwalk just isn't one of them! If you don't have your heart set on the Boardwalk, you might try booking one of those properties!

Old Key West, AKL, Grand Floridian, and BLT are all examples. Good luck, let us know what you do!

Weather_Lady

I thought the same thing, but that's not the case. I'm afraid WDW doesn't want to accommodate a larger family in a hotel room -- they want that larger family to pay more money for larger (or multiple) rooms!

Weather_Lady

Another option: I know you're reticent about having the 14 and 16-year-old "share" a bed. However, it doesn't have to be as intimate as it sounds. If they want to avoid physical contact, they could simply bring separate sleeping bags or sleep sacks to use. (A sleep sack, often used by hotel or hostel guests who don't trust the cleanliness of their bedding or by campers as a sleeping bag liner, is like a single-person sleeping bag, but made from a sheet, so it's not too hot for Florida and is lightweight and compact to pack -- you can buy them inexpensively or sew your own from a folded-over queen-size flat sheet. https://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=36). Something like that would allow the kids to sleep on the same surface, while retaining their own "personal space" and relative privacy -- not too different from sleeping on the same tent floor while camping.

If either one out-and-out-refuses, they can always opt to sleep on the floor (where they might fashion their own mattress, if they chose, from the sofa cushions that were removed when the fold-out sofa was pulled out).

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
One of our sons has done the bed out of couch cushions before, and said he was quite comfortable with that. While our boys had no problem with the same bed when they were younger, they balked when they reached their teens. We have also brought the sleeping bag as well, but one of them usually just slept on the couch. Of course, now that they are both married, we get separate rooms for each couple.

daisyduckie

I thought the same thing, but that's not the case. I'm afraid WDW doesn't want to accommodate a larger family in a hotel room -- they want that larger family to pay more money for larger (or multiple) rooms!

Disney makes no secret of how many beds are provided in each room or unit. It would be almost impossible for them to provide enough bedding for every family type and sleeping preferences. Disney does offer multiple different units that have many different beds. It is up to the family to decide if they want to book one or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom