Avatar construction aerial updates

cjkeating

700 with three attractions including the coaster E.

I always felt like the $700m tag included any additional developments in the park which we are seeing far more than I imagined. Was money shifted in additional AK experiences (after the loss of the Avatar coaster and/or additional Avatar attractions) or was their already an additional budget above the $700m for Rivers of Light and capacity improvements?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Based on the new art/model, do we assume that the piece of concrete in front of the E ticket is the rock work that hides the show building, and the place where it rounds off near the (likely) boat ride is the mountain with the waterfalls on the left of the concept art, likely to be a main support for the floating mountains?

ThemeParkTraveller

$200-300 Million for the entire land seems like a low figure considering the proposed scale and detail. As pointed out above, that's roughly the cost of just Radiator Springs Racers.

Fsunolekrw

I know some people have mentioned that the boat ride has been changed/scaled back from its original design. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what kind of changes are we talking about? Like the difference between Kali River Rapids original design and what we ended up with or something less drastic?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I know some people have mentioned that the boat ride has been changed/scaled back from its original design. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what kind of changes are we talking about? Like the difference between Kali River Rapids original design and what we ended up with or something less drastic?
From what I remember, I don't know if anyone has seen concrete updated plans that prove the boat path has been changed, just that the concrete pad/base for what we all assume is the boat ride doesn't line up (yet) with what they've seen on the original leaked plans.

I could be wrong on that though.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
So, what I was trying to explain last night, but didn't have access to my amazing photo editor is the following. Below on the aerial photo, does it look like the building structures for the corresponding pieces?

Pandora_tree_Marked.jpg

Pandora_Feb15_marked_up.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From what I remember, I don't know if anyone has seen concrete updated plans that prove the boat path has been changed, just that the concrete pad/base for what we all assume is the boat ride doesn't line up (yet) with what they've seen on the original leaked plans.

I could be wrong on that though.

You are correct. The leaked plans focused on the Soarin ride so it's very possible that the details of the boat ride shown on those plans were never intended to show the actual final design, just a representation of what was planned to go in that part of the building.

msteel

So, what I was trying to explain last night, but didn't have access to my amazing photo editor is the following. Below on the aerial photo, does it look like the building structures for the corresponding pieces?

View attachment 84607

View attachment 84606

I believe the spot marked in Green in the aerial is a concrete pumping crane making a pour on the wall thing.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

View attachment 84607

View attachment 84606

I've got to admit I liked the earlier concept art better. Now that Disney is using some sloppy, color coded mess that is clearly visible to every guest, it just looks terrible. I don't even think there was a Rog or Roger in the movie. Even worse than the ceiling tiles in IaSW. Bad show Disney, bad show.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I've got to admit I liked the earlier concept art better. Now that Disney is using some sloppy, color coded mess that is clearly visible to every guest, it just looks terrible. I don't even think there was a Rog or Roger in the movie. Even worse than the ceiling tiles in IaSW. Bad show Disney, bad show.
Oh, I guess you hadn't heard. They are teaming up with one of their former voice actors to be our "Avatar" in our experience on Pandora. Meet Rog the Na'vi

VH-avatar-rowan-atkinson.jpg

Cesar R M

Wow, so cut roughly in half from the original $500 million budget.

That's a heck of a cut. I'm just speculating here, but that sounds like more than an E-ticket unless it was to be on par with Radiator Springs Racers ($200+ million). To date, the most expensive roller coaster in the world is EE at only $100 million. So effectively two EE-size rides worth of funding were cut, at minimum! That doesn't sound right, which has me wondering what else was originally planned.

Perhaps the entire land was once to be "bio-luminescent" as in the movie, and thus interactive, but now it's not, or some other very architecturally-difficult land items (floating mountains) were cut too? I was once imagining this entire land to be indoors with a simulated sky to pull of the floating mountain effects and the bio-luminescent life even during the Florida sunlight, but I could imagine this being ridiculously expensive.
that would be a stupid loss.
since the immersion is what would sell the land.
the bioluminescent is one of the critical parts (the flying rocks, the giant tree too)

Cesar R M

View attachment 84607

View attachment 84606
speaking of the pizzafari area.. its my imagination or they might add another bridge?
if Avatar land becomes a sure hit. all the traffic going only from africa (harambe theatre area) and pizzafari might be not enough.
Discovery Island already gets packed to hell.

$200-300 Million for the entire land seems like a low figure considering the proposed scale and detail. As pointed out above, that's roughly the cost of just Radiator Springs Racers.

ahem, except that .. for carslands.. radiator springs is critical.
Its like building Asia with no EE.
no EE = overglorified zoo.

Cesar R M

DIXt42l.gif

ThemeParkTraveller

ahem, except that .. for carslands.. radiator springs is critical.
Its like building Asia with no EE.
no EE = overglorified zoo.

I agree that it's a pretty sizeable budget cut, but my post was actually referring to the $200-300 million figure as the amount to build the whole land (before marni1971 clarified that the budget was cut by that amount, not to that amount).

Atomicmickey

Sometimes I wish I didn't know about budget cuts. Think about it. 99.999% percent of
people will just visit the land, and not think about how it could have been a third bigger
and better. Whatever that would mean. Here we are, discussing a thing that we've never
seen, don't know the details of, and bemoaning the fact that it won't be. More money
doesn't always equal better. Yes, a coaster would have been cool. Very cool. OK, now
I'm sad again. Or happy. Or something. Sigh, the life of a Disney fan. LOL.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Sometimes I wish I didn't know about budget cuts. Think about it. 99.999% percent of
people will just visit the land, and not think about how it could have been a third bigger
and better. Whatever that would mean. Here we are, discussing a thing that we've never
seen, don't know the details of, and bemoaning the fact that it won't be. More money
doesn't always equal better. Yes, a coaster would have been cool. Very cool. OK, now
I'm sad again. Or happy. Or something. Sigh, the life of a Disney fan. LOL.
I'm fairly convinced that is part of the reason why there are quite a few who miss the way Disney "used" to do things. We just didn't know what it was we were missing out on, or the politics behind it, or any other reasons. We just went and said "I like that, I like that, I don't like that, I like that".
Now we spend all day discussing these things online, we know what imagineer was shafted because he was in the wrong clique, the grand designs that never came to fruition because of the decision of some person in management and we walk around wondering what could have been.

Of course, it's a double edged sword, because we want to know all these things, and it has become part of the way we enjoy Disney as a company and product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom