Trip Report Magic Bands, FP+ and a Baby? A January 2014 TR.

Hey guys! It's been a while since my last trip report - so sorry for long hiatus! I've only been back home from my January trip to my favorite place on the planet for less than a week and I'm ready to talk about it!
You can check out my pre trip report here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/january-2014-pre-trip-report.877636/#post-5889436

This trip was different than any other trip to Walt Disney World that I've ever taken. So many new and unexpected things! First, this was our first trip with our 16 month old son, Grant. Secondly, my parents came along and they haven't been to Disney since 1989. And lastly, this was our first time using Magic Bands and FastPass+. How did Grant do? How did we like My Magic+? Stay tuned to find out!

Now for the details:
When: January 5-12, 2014
Where: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Why: Because it's been WAY too long!
What: 7 Day Park Hoppers and the Disney Dining Plan
How: By car from North Carolina
Who: The cast of characters for this trip...

First you have Myself, my wife Brittany and Grant:

Brittany's sister, Brooke (with Grant):

My parents, Karl and Kay (with Grant):

And Brittany's parents, Scott and Pam (with an infant Grant):

*Next installment - Day 1...

angieandtrevor

Fantastic trip report !! Our son was 2 when we took him for the first time so this is bringing back a lot of fond memories for me. Your son is absolutely adorable and he sure looks like quite the trooper, I think he definitely gets the love for Disney honestly. Can't wait to read more :)

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday January 10, 2014

With only 2 days left at Walt Disney World, we were up early and ready to go by 8:30am. The plan for today was originally to go to Hollywood Studios pretty much all day, eat dinner over at Fort Wilderness and then finish the night out at the Magic Kingdom. Brittany and I checked the weather as soon as we woke up and decided to see if everyone wanted to go back over to Animal Kingdom this morning to start off since it was so cold the other morning we went to DAK. Everyone agreed and off to Animal Kingdom we went!
Like on most trips to AK, we headed straight to Kilimangaro Safaris first! We were really hoping that more animals were out today since it was much, much warmer. We would not be disappointed this time!
Here are some shots from our safari...

I love this next one of Grant holding hands with his Aunt B. So sweet...

The safari was going great! So many more animals were out than earlier in the week!

Next Installment: Friday January 10 continued...

mattdenine

Great report so far, we are going in April and taking our DD who will be 18 months at the time. Your report is giving e reassurance that it can be done with a young child.

I really want to take our DD to Harmony Barber Shop for her first hair cut however her hair is so short my wife doesn't want to cut it yet.

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Great report so far, we are going in April and taking our DD who will be 18 months at the time. Your report is giving e reassurance that it can be done with a young child.

I really want to take our DD to Harmony Barber Shop for her first hair cut however her hair is so short my wife doesn't want to cut it yet.

Thanks! We had a great experience and hopefully you will as well! Good luck!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday January 10 continued...

We continued our journey on Kilimanjaro Safaris and we got to see more animals that we were not able to see earlier in the week...

That was more like it! We all had a great time on the safari, enjoying all the animals. We had such a good time, in fact, that we wanted to see some more! So, we headed in to the Pangani Forest Trail to see if the gorillas were out. Luckily they were!

Watching the gorillas was great! They are fascinating to watch and we probably could have stayed and watched them longer, but we were ready to head out of Animal Kingdom. We had a couple of other things we wanted to do today, so toward the exit we went. Brooke grabbed Grant as we walked. He loves hanging out with his Aunt B!

Next Installment: Friday January 10 continued...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday January 10 continued...

I always hate leaving a park for the last time on any given trip. It's so sad knowing I won't be back for a year or longer... Oh well, until next time, Animal Kingdom.
We headed toward the bus stop and over to Hollywood Studios! There were a couple of things we wanted to do and a couple of shows we wanted to see at DHS that we hadn't gotten the chance to do earlier in the week. Also, we had FastPass+ reservations at Toy Story (1:55-2:55), Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (2:55-3:55) and Tower of Terror (4:30-5:30).
In no time, we had arrived at DHS, so through the gates we went!

It was still fairly early, and we had plenty of time before our first FP+ reservation to catch a couple of our favorite shows - Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular and Lights, Motors, Action!
Scott grabbed a times guide and mapped out our plan of attack as we headed down Hollywood Blvd. As we reached the hat, we figured out our game plan and headed toward Indiana Jones!

The Indiana Jones show is the same show it's always been, but I always enjoy it. I don't know if it's because I'm a big fan of the movies or what, but I love it. Grant didn't share my enthusiasm, as he took a nap during the entire show.
Next, we headed toward the back of the park to catch the next showing of Lights, Motors, Action! I didn't get any pictures of this show because I was holding Grant so he could see. He really liked the show, as he loves cars and all the action that was going on. Something kind of funny happened during this show that I've never seen happen at Disney before. The Lightning McQUeen car would not come out of the truck. The actors kept saying they were having technical difficulty and they kept stalling. It was really awkward and took away from the show. Grant didn't realize what was going on, so he still enjoyed it.
After LMA, we headed over to Pixar Place to take advantage of our first FP+ of the day at Toy Story Midway Mania! We were all pretty excited because we all really enjoy this attraction.
As we approached TSMM, we saw that dreaded sight - a line of cast members standing in front of the entrance. Yep, the ride was down and no one knew when it would be up and running. Bummer.
After this disappointing news, we had some time to kill before our next FP+ reservation, so we headed over to the Animation Courtyard to check out Disney Junior Live on Stage!
Unfortunately, a show had JUST started. We had just missed it! The next show wasn't for a while and the line was already huge! There was no way Grant was going to be patient enough to wait in that line, so we chose to skip it until next time...
I was kind of upset because I wanted to do something just for Grant and it didn't work out... But then I noticed a very short line for a meet and greet with what just happened to be Grant's favorite character - Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates!

Grant LOVED meeting Jake! It completely made his day (and probably his trip and it made me feel like not such a horrible dad)...
After meeting Jake, we headed over to Sunset Blvd for our FP+ reservations for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Like we had done all week, we switched Magic Bands with those who weren't riding so we could ride both of these attractions again!
For the second time today we found ourselves saying goodbye to a park for this trip. Such a bittersweet moment walking out of the park...
But we weren't sad for long because we were heading over to Fort Wilderness for a wonderful meal at Trails End!
First, we took a bus to the Magic Kingdom and from there took a boat over to the Wilderness Lodge. We love this place and hope to stay here one day and we wanted Karl and Kay to see it too since they never had. The place was as awesome as I remembered it being.

After walking around the WL for a while, we hopped a boat over to Fort Wilderness to make our 6:50 dinner reservation. We were right on time!
Our meal was delicious and everyone walked (very slowly) out of Trails End with a full stomach.
We walked around FW for a little while and checked out the store before catching the boat back to the Magic Kingdom. The boat from Fort Wilderness to the MK at night is one of my very favorite things to do at WDW. It is so peaceful and relaxing and you can't beat the view...

When we got back to the MK, we thought about venturing into the park for a little while, but ultimately we decided against it. The park was closing early (one downfall of going this time of year) and plus everyone was pretty tired and Grant was getting cranky.
So, back to Caribbean Beach we went. Another day was in the books. Only one day left...

Next installment: Saturday January 11, 2014

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

Just caught up! How awesome that Grant got to meet Jake! :) And that's great you guys got to see lots more animals on the safari. That's the thing about it, it's always hit or miss on how many animals you see. We took the very last safari of the day last year and while most of the animals had ventured away because they knew it was time to go in, we got to see the lion and lioness playing around on the rock. They were batting at each other and jumping all over the place. It was really cool!

Love the pic from WL. That's our "home". We stayed there for the first time in fall 2011 and fell in love. Funny how it works because I had zero interest in staying there until we went there for dinner in spring 2011. When we booked and the Poly had no discounts, we chose WL. Absolutely the best bus service we have ever had. The lines when leaving the parks were pretty much non existant! Can't wait to stay there again!

Sad there is only 1 day left :( Boooooo.....

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday January 11, 2014

Our last day...
We got off to yet another later start today, but not too late because we have to the at the Poly at 1:05pm for our lunch ADR at Kona Cafe! The plan was to hit the Magic Kingdom after lunch before hopping to Animal Kingdom to experience that park's rare nighttime hours (they close at 8:00pm). After we close down DAK, we might head back to the MK to finish off our trip... Well, things didn't exactly go as planned, but it all worked out perfectly fine in the end.
Grant woke up a bit cranky and wasn't acting like his pleasant self, so Brittany decided to stay in the room with him for a little while this morning while the rest of us jetted over to EPCOT really quick.

I wanted to pick up a shirt I had seen in the store in Norway before we left and my parents wanted to get something for my nephew. After picking up a few items, we noticed it was getting close to our lunch ADR at Kona, so we headed toward the monorail station. As we passed Spaceship Earth heading toward the exit, we saw that it was a walk on, so we took one last ride before leaving EPCOT.
After our ride on SSE, we boarded the monorail and headed for the TTC. At the TTC, we jumped on the resort loop monorail and finally arrived at the Poly. On the ride over, Brittany called and said that her and Grant were on their way to meet us for lunch at Kona!
While we waited for them, we explored the Polynesian lobby and checked out the gift shop...

After lunch we jumped back on the monorail headed back over to the Magic Kingdom to close out our trip.

Here are some shots from the rest of our last day...

Next Installment: Saturday January 11 continued...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday January 11 continued...

It's hard to think back about our last day at Walt Disney World and put it into words, so I'll just let my pictures do the talking...

After hitting some of our favorites one last time, we headed out of the Magic Kingdom for the last time on this trip. Back to CBR we headed...
We had an early get up the next morning and a long drive ahead of us back to North Carolina.
Overall, Grant's first trip to WDW was a huge success! We can't wait to bring him back again!
Until next time Walt Disney World...

mrdrift

Just caught up with the report and it seems like everyone had a wonderful time. Grant is very adorable and really good with all the interactions with all the characters. Thank you for sharing this trip with all of us and congrats on completing Grants first trip.

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Zipitidida - Yes it did. I am ashamed... :facepalm:
I completely forgot that I didn't finish my report a long time ago. Oh well, when you have a family, you gain perspective on the fact that some things are more important than others...
I actually haven't been on the boards in quite a while. I logged on just the other day to catch up on some TR's and to get ready to start writing my next PTR for our May trip! Coming soon! (Shameless plug)

ScarletBegonias

So glad I found this report!! We have some things in common!(My name is Brittany) We are taking our daughter in September for the first time, and she will be 15 months! Wasn't too sure what to expect, but it sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. I can't wait to look at home to see the pictures. (sadly, they aren't coming up at work). I'll be keeping an eye out for your next report!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom