Non-Disney shore excursion on Grand Cayman

geomelin

Original Poster
Hi

I made a reservation for a non-Disney shore excursion at Grand Cayman. I have read somewhere that people on the ship give priority to board the tender boats to people who made reservations through Disney. Is that true?
Do you have any experience with this?
What can I do so as to be on time for my tour (11:30 a.m.) and not to be left behind? The ship arrives at 10:30 a.m.

Thanks

DISNEY FANTASY

Whilst DCL is good and better than other cruise lines, yes those booking a DCL tour at GC get priority as they have limited time for there shore trips and gave to get going straight away, the tender process is organised but does slow down people who gave nit booked DCL tours, go early to get an early tender ticket and if the tours are delayed you may be lucky.

PensFan

Whilst DCL is good and better than other cruise lines, yes those booking a DCL tour at GC get priority as they have limited time for there shore trips and gave to get going straight away, the tender process is organised but does slow down people who gave nit booked DCL tours, go early to get an early tender ticket and if the tours are delayed you may be lucky.
This may be a silly question, but at ports that do not require tendering, is there any delay getting off the ship for passengers that don't book a DCL excursion? Can we go ahead and line up to leave the ship whenever we want, or is there a process that lets DCL excursion folks off first?

wogwog

This may be a silly question, but at ports that do not require tendering, is there any delay getting off the ship for passengers that don't book a DCL excursion? Can we go ahead and line up to leave the ship whenever we want, or is there a process that lets DCL excursion folks off first?
No preference on walkoffs, just tenders.

wogwog

Hi

I made a reservation for a non-Disney shore excursion at Grand Cayman. I have read somewhere that people on the ship give priority to board the tender boats to people who made reservations through Disney. Is that true?
Do you have any experience with this?
What can I do so as to be on time for my tour (11:30 a.m.) and not to be left behind? The ship arrives at 10:30 a.m.

Thanks
I don't like your chances. I was at Grand Cayman last week and five major cruise ships were anchored. That takes a lot of tender trips and slows the process even more. I have also been there with DCL the only ship and it is not fast enough to make a tour in the time spread you have. The other caution I would give you is if a tour is late returning to the tender port for the scheduled departure from GC the ship will wait for a DCL sponsored tour arriving late. They have no obligation to wait for you. They book the last tender from shore 15 minutes before schedule departure. I strongly advise you to call DCL and explain your issue. They have great guest relations as long as it is feasible to accommodate you. They may let you at the head of the line to take a tour if you ask, but I would doubt they will guarantee you they will wait if you are late. I have been on board when people were left behind.

geomelin

Original Poster
So, do you suggest to cancel the tour and book with Disney? The reason I did with a local tour company is because it visits a place (Starfish Point) which is not included in the Disney's tours.

wogwog

So, do you suggest to cancel the tour and book with Disney? The reason I did with a local tour company is because it visits a place (Starfish Point) which is not included in the Disney's tours.
No, I am advising you to call Disney and ask advice on the timing of getting on and off DCL on time at both ends of the day for safety of not missing the boat. They should have accurate and current information of when you should be able to depart the ship. The disembarkation to go to your tour and the departure time of the last tender can vary depending on local Cayman Island authority and tender availability. If your tour is scheduled to end well before the last tender you may want to go on with your plans if DCL says you can get off the ship early. Even with that, local authorities still must clear the ship no matter what schedule DCL expects. With the possibility of multiple ships anchored on arrival that process may take longer than normal.

My concern is you being left behind not on what tour you book or if it is DCL or independent. DCL has even left guests on their private island of Castaway Cay when they were late getting back to the ship. Please call DCL and make your best judgement based on what they tell you.

My advice is based on numerous cruises with DCL and others. I have been on many cruises that left passengers behind. I only want you to make a sound decision and have a wonderful cruise.

wdwstateofmind

I mean they get priority getting off but it's only like 15 minutes...we've done outside tours; you should be fine. Just make sure you get back in time.

geomelin

Original Poster
According to disneycruise.com our departure time from Grand Cayman is 5:30 p.m.

(A) what time is usually the last tender boat to the ship?
(B) is the time of the last boat written on the Personal Navigator or announced before you exit the ship on the morning?
C) has the time of the last boat ever changed without a prior notice?

g

alle

No, I am advising you to call Disney and ask advice on the timing of getting on and off DCL on time at both ends of the day for safety of not missing the boat. They should have accurate and current information of when you should be able to depart the ship. The disembarkation to go to your tour and the departure time of the last tender can vary depending on local Cayman Island authority and tender availability. If your tour is scheduled to end well before the last tender you may want to go on with your plans if DCL says you can get off the ship early. Even with that, local authorities still must clear the ship no matter what schedule DCL expects. With the possibility of multiple ships anchored on arrival that process may take longer than normal.

My concern is you being left behind not on what tour you book or if it is DCL or independent. DCL has even left guests on their private island of Castaway Cay when they were late getting back to the ship. Please call DCL and make your best judgement based on what they tell you.

My advice is based on numerous cruises with DCL and others. I have been on many cruises that left passengers behind. I only want you to make a sound decision and have a wonderful cruise.

wogwog

What happens to folks who get left behind at a port or at Castaway Cay?
As told to me by a shi[ officer. They have sleeping quarters there for permanent staff so they made the quests reasonably comfortable and put them out on the next ship. At least three ship arrivals a week even in slow season. The folks went exploring off the normal paths, heard the ships warning whistle but could not get to the ship on time.

PAW PAW 70

Always feel safe when you book a tour sponsored by the cruise line. If tour is late for any reason they will wait for it to return. Not true with a tour booked on your own.

Phonedave

I have been to starfish point at least half a dozen times. I would not go with a non DCL tour just to go there. It is hit or miss. One day, no starfish, other days there are loads. It all depends on weather and tides.

It is not a "real" place. It is a beach on the end of a spit that is technically private property (there are old foundations there) . It is pretty much deserted, it's not as if there are facilities or a gift shop, or anything like that - it's just a beach that at certain times has a load of starfish, and at other times, nothing.

-dave

geomelin

Original Poster
It is hit or miss. One day, no starfish, other days there are loads. It all depends on weather and tides.

I have read that sometimes there are a lot of starfish and sometimes there are only a few. But I have never read a review or post saying that there were NO starfish.

Phonedave

I have read that sometimes there are a lot of starfish and sometimes there are only a few. But I have never read a review or post saying that there were NO starfish.

Maybe the tours only go when the conditions are optimal.

We would just drop by whenever we were in the area (we were staying on that side of the island, not on TMB) and would sometimes swing by twice in one day (it is pretty close to Rum Point)

This is from Starfish Point on a day where there were a few there.

232323232%7Ffp63388%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3354%3A68687348nu0mrj

Of course if you have a waterproof camera, and post process you can take better pictures. I suspect this is what a lot of the tours do to make it look much more impressive.

232323232%7Ffp733%3C3%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3355%3C854%3B%3B348nu0mrj

I want to say this is the surrounding area, but I could be wrong (it is on Grand Cayman - I know that)

232323232%7Ffp73396%3Enu%3D6898%3E%3A6%3B%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D3354%3A5%3C4%3C%3B348nu0mrj

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom