Trip Report Someone Stole Our Pixie Dust :(

So, I almost didn't write this, but I decided to do it because sometimes trips don't go the way we'd hoped or planned, and that's as valid an experience as the trips that turn out well.

This one did not go well.

We drove down to Orlando on the 5th and were originally scheduled to return this weekend, giving us just shy of a month of sun and Disney Magic. The first half of the trip went really well: we saw Festival of the Lion King and the Festival of Fantasy Parade, watched Wishes a lot, rode all the rides, ate at Be Our Guest. We rode Kali River Rapids at night even though it was 58 degrees, because gosh darn it, we LOVE Kali River Rapids. It was shaping up to be a really great trip, much like last year's.

I mean, how great is this?!

CAM01646.jpg

So great. We were having a wonderful time.

And then this happened:

image1.jpeg

That is (or was) our front door. Halfway through the trip, we got a call from the Pennsylvania State Police that someone had broken into our house. Door busted open, cats nowhere to be found, stuff tossed around. We were on the road for home within 2 hours, but it's over a thousand miles from Orlando to our house. That trip will not be going down on record as one of our best.

We are fortunate to have good friends who organized emergency repairs to the door and sat with the house until the contractor came and re-secured it. They also checked on it every few hours until we made it home - according the police, a quick break in like this is sometimes followed by a group coming back to strip the house of everything from valuables to copper pipes and wiring. While we were driving, my mom found us a hotel in Fayetteville that would take us (and our big dog) with only a few hours notice, because there was no way we could drive straight through with half the day already gone. We got to the hotel around 10pm and were on the road next day by 4:30 in the morning.

We made it home to PA about 26 hours after we first got the call.

We've spent the last week and a half dealing with insurance, contractors, and installing a new security system. Overall we consider ourselves lucky: the cats were found safe, the house wasn't badly damaged. We had the important things with us, nothing of great value was taken. We don't keep cash in the house and don't own guns, which we are told was probably the point of the break in. The thieves have not put in a repeat appearance and are unlikely to do so now that we're back. We're monitoring our credit reports and the like, just in case.

Still, the whole thing just sucks, and to add insult to injury, we've had 2 snowstorms since we got back and are expecting a third tomorrow night.

The moral of the story is...well, honestly there isn't one. Except maybe trip insurance, though I'm not sure "burglary at home" is covered. We may get a partial refund on the 10 days we lost, but it depends purely on the kindness of the villa owner we rent from, they are under no obligation to return any money.

I think the saddest part is that we have two more Disney trips booked, one for fall and one for next winter, and we're seriously considering canceling. We won't make the decision for a while because we know we're not in the right mental place to decide, but we do feel a bit like Disney has been ruined, as has travel in general. We'll never be able to go away again without thinking about this, and worrying about it. I think for a while we'll be jumping every time the phone rings when we're away from home, even if it's just dinner out.

They stole our pixie dust, you guys. Not sure how to get it back. :(

Last edited:

stevehousse

Sorry to hear that! So u left in the middle of your trip? Did u talk to a manager at your resort at all about getting compensated?

Break ins happen all the time and it sucks it happened to you, but I wouldn't let that ruin future vacations! Especially now that you have a security system in place!

HouCuseChickie

I am so sorry to hear about this. I know this is one of my biggest fears whenever we go out of town for anything. I'm glad your cats were found safe and it sounds like you have a wonderful group of neighbors. I'd give it some time to settle before canceling future trips. It's all so fresh now and over time, you might be more comfortable going forward with what you have planned. Plus, you might need it for sanity if the insurance company gives you any headaches. Best wishes and pixie dust in getting through this matter.

sissa216

That's awful, I'm so sorry!!
I hope you're able to travel again and feel safe! It does sound like you're surrounded by great people who care enough to help you out when needed.

Chernaboggles

Original Poster
Sorry to hear that! So u left in the middle of your trip? Did u talk to a manager at your resort at all about getting compensated?

We were staying off-property at a townhouse we found via VRBO, so it's up to the owners. They probably will work something out with us, because they're super nice people.

Intellectually I know this kind of thing happens, but the reality is a whole different ball game, emotionally.

Chernaboggles

Original Poster
I am so sorry to hear about this. I know this is one of my biggest fears whenever we go out of town for anything. I'm glad your cats were found safe and it sounds like you have a wonderful group of neighbors. I'd give it some time to settle before canceling future trips. It's all so fresh now and over time, you might be more comfortable going forward with what you have planned. Plus, you might need it for sanity if the insurance company gives you any headaches. Best wishes and pixie dust in getting through this matter.

Thank you! I think a lot of what we feel right now is disorientation. It's like emotional jet-lag, so we're trying not to make any decisions. It seems dumb to be sad about our messed up vacation when it all could have been so much worse, but there it is.

HouCuseChickie

Thank you! I think a lot of what we feel right now is disorientation. It's like emotional jet-lag, so we're trying not to make any decisions. It seems dumb to be sad about our messed up vacation when it all could have been so much worse, but there it is.

Not exactly the same thing, but we were in a really bad car accident while driving to the airport for our 2013 WDW vacay. We were really lucky to have been able to walk away and decided to use that as a sign to figure out a way to still go on vacay. The only problem- the accident and the insurance nightmare had a profound impact on my mental state of mind during the trip and for months and months after. While it's different than a home break in and I kept trying to remind myself that it could have been so much worse, I lived in a fog about it all for a while and just kind of held off on making certain kinds of decisions until I started to feel a sense of normalcy returning to our world. That's not to say everything can wait, but things like vacations... well, I think it was about 3 mos later when I was in a better frame of mind to seriously think about these things. It's just going to take some time, so... hang in there :)

Chernaboggles

Original Poster
Not exactly the same thing, but we were in a really bad car accident while driving to the airport for our 2013 WDW vacay. We were really lucky to have been able to walk away and decided to use that as a sign to figure out a way to still go on vacay. The only problem- the accident and the insurance nightmare had a profound impact on my mental state of mind during the trip and for months and months after. While it's different than a home break in and I kept trying to remind myself that it could have been so much worse, I lived in a fog about it all for a while and just kind of held off on making certain kinds of decisions until I started to feel a sense of normalcy returning to our world. That's not to say everything can wait, but things like vacations... well, I think it was about 3 mos later when I was in a better frame of mind to seriously think about these things. It's just going to take some time, so... hang in there :)

I remember reading about that! Definite nightmare, I'm glad you were all okay but I totally understand about it putting a damper on the trip! Yikes. For us there was no question of staying - the house was in danger, cats were missing, etc. We talked briefly about the logistics of trying to go back for the last few days, but it was just hard and too expensive to be worth it. I have like 8 months before I need to decide on the Fall and Winter trips, I just have to remember that.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your house being broken into. I'm glad that your cats were found and that they are okay, it must have been very scary for them to be lost. Having our house being broken into while we are away on vacation is a big fear of mine, my husband is a pastor and always has to publish his vacation time in our church newsletter so basically half of our community know when we are on vacation and for how long. We have a lot of people keeping a watch on our house but I still worry. Our important papers are packed out and kept with a friend while we are gone so that lets me worry a little less, but I suppose their house could always be broken into as well. I hope your experience doesn't put you off of your Disney vacay.

Raven66

That is awful! Find someone you trust to house sit. That's what we do. They take care of our dogs and watch the house.

Victor Kelly

This kinda trip report is always the worst to write or even read. Consider a house sitter. You already know you have awesome neighbors. A family member, a close friend, any can house sit. Before we left we let one neighbor know, and my in-laws stopped by every other day. Our neighbor had constant watch on the house.

Some things for people to know (I did security work for a long time):
1. Never stop your mail. In fact for a month or two before the trip let it build for a few days. Then empty the mailbox. Stopping mail lets people know you will be leaving town and for how long you will be gone. Letting the mailbox fill then empty creates a pattern that becomes normal to the postal people.

2. Put timers on lights and program from random on and off times.

3. Never under any circumstances should you post about an upcoming vacation via social media or even a discussion forum such as this. Your IP can be tracked and someone with only a little tiny bit of know how can find you.

4. Security system and cameras. Get them. Have the system contact your cell, then check the cameras. If all is well, great. If there are invaders then call the police. Also have the system also call your neighbor or house sitter. I don't suggest companies or direct to police as false alarms get you fined nowadays. However, if you have any type of high value objects or firearms, secure them in a special zone that will call the police if it gets tripped.

5. Exterior lights. Set them to always on weeks before you leave. Mix it with motion sensor lighting. Mount all lights high up so they cannot be unscrewed or easily disabled or broken. Thieves hate lights. Darkness is their friend, not yours.

6. Put in pop bars made of PVC and wedge between windows. Harden a rear door by screwing in a 2x4 to the floor. Use double sided dead bolts near any door with glass, this keeps them from opening the lock.

These are just a few ideas, there are more things you can do.

Allym146

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I've heard from others that when this happens they feel very violated and find themselves dealing with some anxiety, your feelings are normal and understood. Give yourself time to recover. It seems like you're taking good precautions. I definitely second the suggestion of a house sitter and the tips @Victor Kelly gave. We house sit for friends of ours regularly and I'm glad to know it gives them peace of mind.

Victor Kelly

Happy Update: the people we rent from DID issue a partial refund for the time we didn't get to use. They had no obligation to do that, so we're very grateful. The refund takes some of the financial stress off, and it was just plain nice of them to do.

These are good people. SO hard to find that nowadays.

aeillill

I am so sorry your family had to go through this, what a nightmare. But thankfully nothing of great value has been taken and all your cats were found. I'd react the same exact way if something like this happened to me.

melmel89

so sorry to hear that hope it doesn't put you off going away again. So glad you found your kitties the second I read they got out I wanted to see that they were found safe and well.

FlaggNL

Wow. I feel so sorry for that! Really sad that this happenend. Off course sad that you missed the Dosney trip, but on the other hand not that sad that they didn't take much of valuable and the cats are safe! Good to see that everything (besideds the cash and the Disney feelings) is safe and well! Take care!!

mrdrift

Sorry to hear about the break in. At least you found the cats and nothing of major importance was taken. Don't let this stop future vacations, I know this will be always on you mind but you can't live in fear. You installed a security system to watch the house when your not at home. I know it will be hard but go and take a mini vacation to help you past this ordeal. Mickey can heal all pains if you give him a chance :p. Take care of the family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom