POLY Concierge is Worthless

sjhym333

That is true but the title concierge has a specific job attached to it and for those of us who travel around the country know what a concierge can do for you. A real concierge has connections throughout the city that enables them to get you into restaurants that are booked full, they can get you tickets for hard to get into events or attractions, they can arrange transportation, give you some great tips on things not to miss outside the big tourist stuff and are there to enhance your experience.

The problem with Disney concierges are they have no pull anywhere on property besides their own resort. They can't magically make FP's appear, make reservations at restaurants that are fully booked or anything a concierge in any hotel in any major city can. It is not the CM's fault but really it is Disney's fault by connecting that title to what is really a guest relations role. Even sadder is when someone pays extra for that type of room who then finds out they can do most of what the concierge can do online with the exception of the lounge area food.

SnarkyMonkey

I am not doubting that concierge isn't what it used to be or anything like that. But I don't understand some of your expectations. I do understand expecting the food to be edible and it should be. Food and drink would be the only reason I could imagine anyone paying to stay at this level. But that's just me.

I am thoroughly confused as to why you would go and get someone else to book your FPs or ADRs. It takes a matter of seconds to do yourself. And they certainly can't find you any better options than you can find for yourself. They are either available or are not. Besides that, can't you ask for CM help with this regardless of the level you stay at? I know I have confirmed ADRs when staying at a value, for that matter, or with guest services in the parks.

I also have no idea what you expected concierge to do about the volume of music at MK. This made me chuckle. Were you hoping they would call over to Mickey and tell him to keep it down because your family was annoyed? :D

mouse_luv

This thread reminds me of something that happened to a friend and I back in February of 2009. We wanted to see the "Electrical Water Pageant" and weren't sure if it was a year round thing and if so what time it would be coming by the Poly beach that night. So, we went and asked at the front desk, who hadn't a clue. So we stopped at the Concierge desk to ask them and they had no idea what we were talking about and looked at us like we had 5 eyes. So we basically gave up.

sjhym333

I think the original poster's point was that a Disney concierge cannot do what a concierge in a major hotel can including getting reservations at a hard to get into restaurant. I use concierges all the time in major cities and they can almost always get things that I cannot get myself easily. Many concierges have relationships with restaurants that allows them to be able to do that. I think a guest who comes to Disney and is on a concierge floor may expect that a concierge can and should be able to set up FP's and reservations for restaurants. That is the kind of things a concierge does outside of Disney.

As for the music in the MK. I think the original posters issue was that the music was loud enough from midnight to 3am to wake them in the hotel room. That is very loud. And at the prices at the Poly I think it is not unreasonable to expect a sound nights sleep in your room. The concierge has no pull but the resort manger should have been made aware. My guess if the poster could hear it in their room both the Poly and the GF resorts had other guests unhappy also.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I am not doubting that concierge isn't what it used to be or anything like that. But I don't understand some of your expectations. I do understand expecting the food to be edible and it should be. Food and drink would be the only reason I could imagine anyone paying to stay at this level. But that's just me.

Because Concierge Service is supposed to be a level of SERVICE - not just a lounge.

I get you may not have ever known what this means to have people cater to your needs and just make things happen - but that's just your lack of exposure.

dreamfinder

I am thoroughly confused as to why you would go and get someone else to book your FPs or ADRs. It takes a matter of seconds to do yourself. And they certainly can't find you any better options than you can find for yourself. They are either available or are not. Besides that, can't you ask for CM help with this regardless of the level you stay at? I know I have confirmed ADRs when staying at a value, for that matter, or with guest services in the parks.

Because that is what a concierge should do. Quoting from the Merriam Webster site here -> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/concierge
a usually multilingual hotel staff member who handles luggage and mail, makes reservations, and arranges tours; broadly : a person employed (as by a business) to make arrangements or run errands
Or from Dictionary.com,
a member of a hotel staff in charge of special services for guests, as arranging for theater tickets or tours.

If a hotel claims to offer concierge service, they should offer it. If it isn't going to offer the corresponding service, don't sell the CM as a concierge, call them Guest Relations or whatever. Using a true concierge is kind of like slipping a maître d' a $20 and having a table suddenly appear. The good ones pride themselves on being able to assist guests with difficult requests, because the guest is paying for a higher level of service. Yes, you can ask any Guest Relations type CM for assistance with FP or ADR, however the concierge is a CM who sits in the club lounge area to provide services just to the guests staying at club level.

sjhym333

If a hotel claims to offer concierge service, they should offer it. If it isn't going to offer the corresponding service, don't sell the CM as a concierge, call them Guest Relations or whatever. Using a true concierge is kind of like slipping a maître d' a $20 and having a table suddenly appear. The good ones pride themselves on being able to assist guests with difficult requests, because the guest is paying for a higher level of service. Yes, you can ask any Guest Relations type CM for assistance with FP or ADR, however the concierge is a CM who sits in the club lounge area to provide services just to the guests staying at club level.

Amen!

SnarkyMonkey

Because that is what a concierge should do.

<snip>

I'm not arguing with you that that's what a concierge should or shouldn't do. My question is why would someone pay to stand in front of someone while they go online and look up ADRs and FP+s for you. The thought of me doing that seems absurd. Seems like a lot more work and time than me quickly doing that for myself. I'm not saying people can't pay for this if they want or that they shouldn't or anything like that. I'm just wondering why they would. They don't know how to type? lol

dreamfinder

I'm not arguing with you that that's what a concierge should or shouldn't do. My question is why would someone pay to stand in front of someone while they go online and look up ADRs and FP+s for you. The thought of me doing that seems absurd. Seems like a lot more work and time than me quickly doing that for myself. I'm not saying people can't pay for this if they want or that they shouldn't or anything like that. I'm just wondering why they would. They don't know how to type? lol

Time and effort. Did club level once at DLR, only because that was all that was available. It almost made sense out there, they called me, asked about any food allergies for the club lounge, offered to make any dining reservations for me (DLR you can get away with booking them 3 days out) etc. Not having been to DLR in years, being able to say "I like Mexican" and telling the CM my rough plans, they were able to say "I made you a dining reservation for Tortilla Jo's Fri at 7PM" and that was great.

Think about how long it takes a new guest to first understand FP+. Knowing when you could make your FP+ reservation, what rides need them, trying to coordinate them with dining reservations, parade times, etc. Heck, look at how many people still don't understand the system and it's been in place for quite a while now. There are plenty of people that would rather just pay a premium for the club level, and have someone else do all that for them. These are the same types of people who would drop $360-500 per HOUR (current going rates) to be able to have someone else deal with having to handle FP bookings, get back doored into attractions, etc. You spending an hour or two a month in advance may be fine and enjoyable. I happen to enjoy trying to plan it all in advance. And heck, at $24.57 an hour (Dec 2014 average hourly wage from BLS here -> http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t19.htm) not a big deal. But when you are dealing with people who are making $500 an hour (roughly what anyone who cleared $1,000,000 a year) it makes much more sense to simply pay someone else to do that. The people whose company would rather give them a $300,000 monthly jet stipend to avoid them wasting time on public airlines and dealing with security simply because that hour or two of time dealing with security and waiting for the plane to take off costs the company money. Those are the types of crowds that a true concierge works for.

And the guests shouldn't have to stand there and wait. They should be able to tell the concierge "We want to eat at BoG tonight after diding 7DMT." The CM says I'll see what I can do, go enjoy your day. Concierge calls around, makes it happen, and then calls the client to tell them "It's all set, 7DMT at 7:15, BoG at 7:45." At a big city hotel, guest stops by the desk on their way out in the morning, and when they get back from meetings they get handled tickets to the sold out show, or told what name to use to get the Chef's table at the hottest restaurant.

SnarkyMonkey

But they aren't going to say, "I'll see what I can do," and call around and get you an ADR to a restaurant that has been booked up for 180 days already. I think if people are paying for concierge and expecting for them to perform miracles that is quite silly. And it doesn't matter if it works that way at other resorts. It doesn't work that way at Disney. So the result is they pay a bunch of money for services that leave them disappointed.

I just can't imagine leaving your FPs and ADRs for when you actually arrive at WDW. People who frequent boards like these should know better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But they aren't going to say, "I'll see what I can do," and call around and get you an ADR to a restaurant that has been booked up for 180 days already. I think if people are paying for concierge and expecting for them to perform miracles that is quite silly. And it doesn't matter if it works that way at other resorts. It doesn't work that way at Disney. So the result is they pay a bunch of money for services that leave them disappointed.

What a circular argument... What's next... I get to call myself a Doctor... but don't dare assume I have medical training, that's not how it works in my house. How silly of you to think a LABEL used elsewhere means that HERE. Silly house guest.

sjhym333

I just can't imagine leaving your FPs and ADRs for when you actually arrive at WDW. People who frequent boards like these should know better.

I agree. That is why they shouldn't be called concierges. They should be called guest relations cast members. I think Disney is doing a disservice to a guest by calling someone a concierge who is not.

SnarkyMonkey

I agree. That is why they shouldn't be called concierges. They should be called guest relations cast members. I think Disney is doing a disservice to a guest by calling someone a concierge who is not.

I think, though, that conceirge means a lot more than that. It's a different level with exclusive amenities like food, drinks, easy access to a CM. Not disagreeing that this might be not meet the expectations of some who understand conceirge differently from staying in different hotels but for many people, the CMs have nothing to do with why they book that experience.

ETA: And a conceirge technically is just a fancy name for a receptionist. If you have one in your building, they aren't going to be able to do you any special favours either but they might hold a parcel for you.

sjhym333

I think, though, that conceirge means a lot more than that. It's a different level with exclusive amenities like food, drinks, easy access to a CM. Not disagreeing that this might be not meet the expectations of some who understand conceirge differently from staying in different hotels but for many people, the CMs have nothing to do with why they book that experience.

ETA: And a conceirge technically is just a fancy name for a receptionist. If you have one in your building, they aren't going to be able to do you any special favours either but they might hold a parcel for you.

So really Disney is once again "walmarting" the guest experience by making something seem more than it is. I see your point but I disagree with the idea in general. Concierges have been in hotels longer than they have at Disney and you can't just add food in a lounge and have a CM there to answer questions and call them a concierge. I think the hang up is the understanding of the job that a concierge does. Answering questions and putting food does not a concierge make. My issue with what Disney is doing is that we are not talking a value or moderate resort here. We are talking expensive Deluxe resorts that are priced inline with expensive hotels in major cities. The level of service is not commensurate with what they are offering. Honestly I feel that way about Disney Deluxe resorts in general...and this coming from someone whose 2 favorite resorts are the Poly and Bay Lake Towers. My experiences at the Lowe's hotels down the street at Universal are much more inline with what a Deluxe resort should be about. We now recommend to visiting friends to stay on Universal property for a nicer resort experience.

SnarkyMonkey

So really Disney is once again "walmarting" the guest experience by making something seem more than it is. I see your point but I disagree with the idea in general. Concierges have been in hotels longer than they have at Disney and you can't just add food in a lounge and have a CM there to answer questions and call them a concierge. I think the hang up is the understanding of the job that a concierge does. Answering questions and putting food does not a concierge make. My issue with what Disney is doing is that we are not talking a value or moderate resort here. We are talking expensive Deluxe resorts that are priced inline with expensive hotels in major cities. The level of service is not commensurate with what they are offering. Honestly I feel that way about Disney Deluxe resorts in general...and this coming from someone whose 2 favorite resorts are the Poly and Bay Lake Towers. My experiences at the Lowe's hotels down the street at Universal are much more inline with what a Deluxe resort should be about. We now recommend to visiting friends to stay on Universal property for a nicer resort experience.

So, you think what's missing is the ability of the concierges to get ADRs in full restaurants and FPs for attractions when they are sold out? Are there other things you think are missing? I am not arguing. Just wondering.

Another question: Is there a description somewhere from Disney that says what you can expect from concierge level?

sjhym333

The reality is that the Disney system will not allow a concierge the ability to do anything about FP's and dinner reservations. I have a friend who is the manager of one of the restaurants on property that is always full and even he can't get us in at the last minute, so my heart goes out to the concierge CM. What I think Disney should do is change the name of the Concierge level into something that better reflects the level and the role of those CM's. I just did a quick look at Poly prices and the difference in price for the two levels is over $100 a night. Seems like a lot of money for some food. They call it the Club level. Maybe the name needs to be your Club Level Host or Club Level Guest Host.

I also checked the WDW website and the Club level says:
  • Access to Concierge service at the King Kamehameha Club
But it doesn't say what those services include. I did a further search of the WDW website and here is what it said:

Club Level Concierge
Enjoy personalized service when you stay in a Club Level room at a Deluxe Resort. And enjoy an exclusive Club Level Lounge. Before your trip, advance itinerary planning assistance can help you arrange golf tee times, dining reservations, childcare services, transportation and more.

Then when you arrive, delight in personalized concierge services, evening turndown service with chocolates and complimentary fax assistance.

The exclusive Club Level Lounge offers a variety of complimentary, daily refreshments, like:

• Continental breakfast
  • Hot samples from Resort restaurants
  • Evening wine and beer selections
  • Desserts and cordials
So really mostly what we have been talk about here. But again a real Concierge has the ability to do more than what a guest can do for themselves online. That is just my experience from my travels.

I think I have said about everything I can about this. And it really doesn't matter to me since I won't be staying on Disney property anytime in the foreseeable future. We have stayed at the Royal Palm out at Universal twice in the past year and the service there was much better then any of the Disney resorts we have stayed in and we have stayed in them all except the Grand Floridian.

SnarkyMonkey

Thank you. I have found this to be an interesting conversation. Thanks very much for going through the trouble of finding the exact info from Disney.

So, it seems that Disney isn't even suggesting that they can help with FPs or ADRs while you are there. I was really curious about that.

I do see what you are saying about people expecting it to be the same as other concierge level rooms and service. And maybe changing the name would be helpful. I'm surprised, frankly, that they do call it "concierge" as it sounds so run of the mill. You would think they would have something more magical.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Here is an uninformed person's question though. Is concierge expected to get you an unobtainable reservation or FP? Or is it to do it for you (normal resides) etc just so you don't have to?

It depends. Like in any walk of life there are some 'guests' that are serviced better than others. While appearing to be the average Joe some are people who drop considerable amounts at Disney annually. They know who they are if they are DVC or Concierge Level guests. While most of us will not see that level of service others do get squeezed in or a FP+ paper or on system granted.

EOD K9

I've been DVC for 10 years, and never did club level. Are DVC accommodations available at that level by chance?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom