Next best thing to DSLR

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
I'm not a pro, but I do take decent pictures of my little ones. I would love to be able to capture the same type of photos at disney world. Any one have recommendations for a great camera that's not so bulky? I will have my boy (2 year olds) and girl (5 years old). I really don't want to have something so bulky that I won't be able to enjoy the trip, but I still want to take really good pictures. I have a galaxy s5 and my husband was just saying to just use that instead of bringing a camera.

mousehockey37

There's a lot of small DSLR's out there. Canon has the SL1. I have no personal use with it, but I'm sure there's a few on here that might be able to help.

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
2nd that. The SL1 isn't a cheap ($250 cheap) option.

You might as well just go the Galaxy route. Are you getting the memory maker or anything like that?
Nope, I'm not I've read a lot of comment and some people said the pictures aren't as great. I'm looking for something as compact as i can get. We will be going in June and I know traffic is high around that time. I'm trying to avoid people bumping into me and accidentally damaging my lens. That's the main reason why I don't want to bring my dslr in the first place. What about something like the panasonic lumix lx3?

mousehockey37

If you have your DSLR with a smaller lens (I have a 55-250mm, 50mm and the kit 18-55) on and the proper strap, lens cap leash, etc, you should be fine. If you're going to possibly have a stroller, keep the camera on the person behind the wheel of the stroller, people aren't going to bump into it there, and if they do, you have bigger problems...

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
If you have your DSLR with a smaller lens (I have a 55-250mm, 50mm and the kit 18-55) on and the proper strap, lens cap leash, etc, you should be fine. If you're going to possibly have a stroller, keep the camera on the person behind the wheel of the stroller, people aren't going to bump into it there, and if they do, you have bigger problems...
Well, I have a Olympus E-3 with a 12-60mm.

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
And here's the reason why I love my camera

Attachments

• 427723_647420946606_843849214_n.jpg
    427723_647420946606_843849214_n.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 65

mousehockey37

And here's the reason why I love my camera

IMHO, it's the person behind the equipment. NOT the equipment itself. Sure, better equipment *can* get you better results, but in the end, if you don't have an eye for the picture you want, you could spend millions on equipment and still never be happy with the end results.

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
that's true, I take tons of photos and then I pick out the few that I actually like. I'm not great but I'm decent. =D. I like my s5 but so far it hasn't been able to give me the picture quality that my e-3 has.

KeithVH

The s5 is capable of fairly decent photos but you gotta really spend time, especially for the AF.

IF you can get an NEX-3 for <$300 get it. Good luck, it's a $400+ camera so remember TANSTAAFL.

Else, get this. For 90% of the population, you won't be able to tell the difference between that and the NEX. Plus all the features that make a great snapshot/vacation camera.

fractal

The s5 is capable of fairly decent photos but you gotta really spend time, especially for the AF.

IF you can get an NEX-3 for <$300 get it. Good luck, it's a $400+ camera so remember TANSTAAFL.

Else, get this. For 90% of the population, you won't be able to tell the difference between that and the NEX. Plus all the features that make a great snapshot/vacation camera.

That's also a good deal.

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input...my hubby and I are just going to stick with our dslr. Mainly because we don't have it in our budget to get it. To get a decent lens that I would like for our camera it would set us back a good $400, and planning this trip a little last minute has us scrambling to save. So we are just going to hope that everyone at the park is nice enough not to bump into me.

WallyWorld

For Canon cameras/lenses....look at their site for refurbished equipment. Everything I have is from there and has all seemed brand new to me.....saved a ton.

Most recently....bought a G15....very pleased.

thomas998

Well I don't want to spend any if possible haha, but I know my husband doesn't want anything more than 250.

I would say if you have that tight a budget the best you can do it probably the Olympus xz-2 or xz-1... either of which are available on Amazon for about 250... Both are very good point and shoots with fast enough lenses that you can do pretty good with catching kids which is probably what you are more concerned with.

PhotoDave219

I'm not a pro, but I do take decent pictures of my little ones. I would love to be able to capture the same type of photos at disney world. Any one have recommendations for a great camera that's not so bulky? I will have my boy (2 year olds) and girl (5 years old). I really don't want to have something so bulky that I won't be able to enjoy the trip, but I still want to take really good pictures. I have a galaxy s5 and my husband was just saying to just use that instead of bringing a camera.

I get this question a lot. Way too often, actually.

Point and shoot wise? There are so many. Anything from the Nikon CoolPIX or Canon Powershot ELPH lines or that Olympus Stylus SH-1. That should fit your needs and your budget.

(Intro-DSLR wise? Just buy a Canon digital rebel and green box it. Is it the best? No. But you don't recommend a Ferrari to someone who's never driven before. You get them a Honda.)

However, temper your expectations accordingly. You'll get solid photos outside and likely if you understand the modes correctly, like a night portrait mode which exposes for the ambient light and pops in a flash for the subject in the foreground or turning your flash off during MSEP. You'll get solid results because its your family and you're likely looking for that photo of child and Mickey & co.

What you will not get is a camera you'll be able to shoot video or pictures inside HM or POTC or other dark rides on.

If i was in your position? I'd go find a camera store and see what they have and actually put it in your hand and play with the in store model before going home with one. Make sure its something you're relatively happy with, fits in your hands, and just will not be cumbersome. Nobody really wants to lug around pounds of camera equipment all vacation (unless thats what you're planning on doing). I'd stick to those 3 bands and find something that fits your budget, needs and your hand.

Just my 11 cents.

Daniel Johnson

I don't know where you reside, but in my area (south Georgia) there is a ton of gently used body's and lenses in pawn shops. I counted 6 canon rebels of different model at the shop I usually frequent. Also seems to be a good bit of upper end point and shoots around too. from what I see, people get into dslr thinking it's going to produce breathtaking shots every single click. Then they drop them when they face reality. Not that I'm a pro by any stretch, but I enjoy playing with the settings and the education aspect of a dslr.
Hope you find something!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom