Seriously considering cancellng 1st trip

George Lucas on a Bench

I do want to blame Disney for some of these closures. It ended up being bad timing. The Soarin'/Condor Flats changes were rumored a while back and clearly have been delayed until the worst possible time when numerous other E tickets are closed. "it's a small world" Holiday running until the end of January is stupid. We went on it recently and I was just baffled as to why we were on a Christmas ride. I sort of get closing all of Critter Country while Splash Mountain is down, but you're still talking a major restaurant, meet and greet area, a confectionery with delicious peanut butter cookies and, in my opinion, a decent dark ride that's always there for you with short lines on even the most horribly crowded days.

Also, on the subject of WDW running attractions until they're falling apart and specifically Pirates of the Caribbean. Yes, WDW clearly does this, but make no mistake, Disneyland is also guilty of neglect and running attractions not up to show standards. DL POTC has been a mess for a while now. I was baffled when it returned from rehab last year with missing characters that have limited movement anyway. A couple years ago, Haunted Mansion operated for almost the entire year without the deaf guy that's next to the mummy in the graveyard. Why would THAT character need to be missing for almost a year when he barely even moves?

On Pirates currently, the back seats of the boats flood, there are only like 5 fireflies in the the Blue Bayou Lagoon and the shooting star is broken once again, the harpsichord is missing from the Captain's Quarters, the chase turntable before the cat guy has been out of commission for a while, the hat guy has been missing hats for what seems like forever now, with a stick coming out of his stack embarrassingly revealing how the effect is accomplished. Keep in mind this is the guy that Walt himself pointed out the show would go to pieces if he didn't function.

squidward

Original Poster
Then may I suggest that you take your trip and enjoy all the other attractions that Disneyland has to offer.

Make the best of it and remember all those people who aren't fortunate enough to have the money, health and time to take such a trip. Count your blessings and have a good time.

I honestly hate comments like this. Of course I'm thankful for what I have. Jeez, if we were all to live by your logic, then no one would ever have ANYTHING negative to say on ANY message board. Trying to make someone feel guilty for voicing their displeasure with something serves no purpose whatsoever.

FTR, obviously my post was skipped over. I already cancelled the reservation and we're going to Universal Orlando instead. Sorry if you don't agree with our choice. But going to Disneyland will be probably a once in a lifetime trip for us. We'll plan on going when everything we want to see is open, which probably means the summer. So we'll plan on next year or the year after. It's not going anywhere.

alissafalco

I honestly hate comments like this. Of course I'm thankful for what I have. Jeez, if we were all to live by your logic, then no one would ever have ANYTHING negative to say on ANY message board. Trying to make someone feel guilty for voicing their displeasure with something serves no purpose whatsoever.

FTR, obviously my post was skipped over. I already cancelled the reservation and we're going to Universal Orlando instead. Sorry if you don't agree with our choice. But going to Disneyland will be probably a once in a lifetime trip for us. We'll plan on going when everything we want to see is open, which probably means the summer. So we'll plan on next year or the year after. It's not going anywhere.
I think you made the right decision. Since its a once in a lifetime trip, the trip should be everything you want it to be.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not one cent. Virgin was awesome about it. I was shocked, but pleasantly surprised. Obviously, that was the first thing we did as we weren't sure how that would turn out. In fact, we just cancelled on Thursday, and they already refunded our card today.
I'm glad it worked out for you.

squidward

Original Poster
We'll just have to plan better (hopefully next year). Obviously, you can't guarantee that everything will be operating, but for me the Matterhorn is just an absolute must do. For my entire life, I've seen the Matterhorn as more of a symbol of Disneyland than the castle. To miss it on what could be our only trip is just unimaginable to me.

Disneyhead'71

I think you made a good choice. I grew up in the 60s seeing Disneyland on TV most Sunday nights. In 1971, just after WDW opened, my family drove down from WV and I was hooked on Disney parks. But it wasn't until May of 2001 that I made it to Disneyland. And guess what? The Matterhorn was closed for refurb. It didn't ruin the trip or anything, but my "Disneyland Experience" didn't feel complete. At that point we lived in Denver, so we went back 2 more times (Christmas 2001 and 2002) after DCA was sucking the life out of the place and MAJOR discounts were plentiful. So I got to ride it. But in 2005 we moved back east and there is no trip to the left coast in the foreseeable future. I believe the Keys are going to be our summer vacation.

Anyway, You guys will have fun at Universal. You've been there before, so you know.

Twister may go down in the near future for replacement. And Disaster! is really having issues. But pretty much everything else seems to be working.

squidward

Original Poster
Well, not all is good. I had to email Disney ticketing, and they will not refund me the money on the tickets. We're out $1,500.

I know that tickets are non-refundable, however, I purchased the tickets right on the Disneyland website. They could help if they wanted to, but Disney being Disney, they obviously couldn't give 2 pieces of Mickey Mouse's crap about helping the guest anymore.

Californian Elitist

Well, not all is good. I had to email Disney ticketing, and they will not refund me the money on the tickets. We're out $1,500.

I know that tickets are non-refundable, however, I purchased the tickets right on the Disneyland website. They could help if they wanted to, but Disney being Disney, they obviously couldn't give 2 pieces of Mickey Mouse's **** about helping the guest anymore.

That sucks, but look at it this way, you've got Disneyland tickets to use for the future, or you can sell them yourself.

GiveMeTheMusic

I know that tickets are non-refundable, however, I purchased the tickets right on the Disneyland website. They could help if they wanted to, but Disney being Disney, they obviously couldn't give 2 pieces of Mickey Mouse's **** about helping the guest anymore.

Call. I was able to get refunds in person, but since that's not an option try getting someone live on the phone, you've got a better shot.

squidward

Original Poster
Why exactly does Disney make the tickets non-refundable?

A lot of places do that. I get it in a way, but there are extenuating circumstances that they can certainly do whatever they want. What's odd is, if you book a package that includes tickets, that can be cancelled for a refund. So, it can be done. They just don't want to do it.

We had a similar situation at Universal a couple years ago where we had bought tickets in advance, but my MIL didn't end up coming. Universal refunded us right away with a smile. Not trying to make this another Disney VS. Universal thread, but it's a perfect example of why we give more of our money to Universal than Disney. They simply treat us better.

squidward

Original Poster
Sell them yourself, or call Disney back.

I imagine it would be tough to sell them. I don't know, but I sure as heck wouldn't buy park tickets from anyone other than an authorized ticket broker.

I'm on hold with them right now. We'll see what happens. The initial response I got was via email, as I was told they couldn't help me over the phone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom