The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Disney technology workers lose jobs in restructuring, headline in the Orlando Sentinel. Disney won't say how many.
Wonder if this is a fall out over MyDisneyExperience-FP+/WiFi Problems?

And as a buffer Disney also announced they distributed 10 million Magic Bands. :oops:
I read in the dedicated thread in N&R that these layoffs are the natural outcome of all the infrastructure being completed. You need a lot less staff to maintain it than to build it, set it up, and implement it.

We need a "shrugging the shoulders/I dunno" smilie.

Goofyernmost

I understand what you're saying, and appreciate your comments on this. Although everything you said is basically true, (about how men and women should always have the same status--and for the moment, I'm focusing on the First Lady's visit only), observing the customs of the host country, for leaders/presidents, etc. (and their spouses) is diplomatic courtesy. Cultural roots go deep, and sometimes something as simple as extending a warm handshake can be viewed as a direct insult. With so much at stake in this volatile world we live in now, I think world leaders are walking on eggshells as it is, just to maintain a modicum of peace.

There may be a time and a place for addressing certain issues (status of women in certain countries), but change comes slowly (if at all), and I would not be in favor of broaching the issue, upon the initial greeting in the host country. I think that any positive change may better be accomplished via another approach (perhaps via U.N. human rights initiatives, as just one example). Then, hopefully, the issue may (eventually) be added to the official agenda for discussion at a host country.

As for the nuns, thank goodness they don't have to wear those habits anymore!! We used to call the nuns "penguins" because that's what the kids thought of with their black and while outfits! :p
I tend to agree with the first highlighted sentence, however, why is it that we have to observe every other culture in a way that may directly contradict our own core beliefs. Why are people that visit us not required to honor our customs and that WE, once again, are supposed to be tolerant of their cultures. I try, when in different countries, to be aware of how they live their lives (except Canada, of course. Who cares about them.) That, however, doesn't mean that I left myself back home so as to humor and not offend them. I am not them, I do not share their culture and I am just unsure why we are always the one that must take the high road.

In relation to the second concerning Nuns and their usually dirty habits, "Penguin" is one of the nicest things that we regularly called them. Those ladies women were one of the primary reasons that I have basically abandoned my birth religion. The Brothers of Christian Instruction and a few Priests that I crossed paths with didn't help the cause either.

Made me think of the old school yard jokes... What's black and white, black and white, black and white? A Nun rolling down a hill. or What's black and white and yellow and screams? A school bus filled with Nuns driving off a cliff.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone by my last two paragraphs, that wasn't my intent and I apologize if I did. My intent, I guess, was to express my lifelong frustration with a system that I had no control over.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Why is it that when I want to sleep in on the weekends I wake up early with no problem. Then during the week when I have to wake up early I can't! Anyone else have this problem?

Ha! Sometimes that happens, although I'm usually always up early anyway. However, I had an exhausting past week, and was looking forward to sleeping in this morning to maybe 5:30. But no--I woke up at 3:30 AM, tried to go back to sleep, but gave up by 4:30 and got up to make coffee. I agree, it's frustrating! :in pain: :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I tend to agree with the first highlighted sentence, however, why is it that we have to observe every other culture in a way that may directly contradict our own core beliefs. Why are people that visit us not required to honor our customs and that WE, once again, are supposed to be tolerant of their cultures. I try, when in different countries, to be aware of how they live their lives (except Canada, of course. Who cares about them.) That, however, doesn't mean that I left myself back home so as to humor and not offend them. I am not them, I do not share their culture and I am just unsure why we are always the one that must take the high road.

In relation to the second concerning Nuns and their usually dirty habits, "Penguin" is one of the nicest things that we regularly called them. Those ladies women were one of the primary reasons that I have basically abandoned my birth religion. The Brothers of Christian Instruction and a few Priests that I crossed paths with didn't help the cause either.

Made me think of the old school yard jokes... What's black and white, black and white, black and white? A Nun rolling down a hill. or What's black and white and yellow and screams? A school bus filled with Nuns driving off a cliff.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone by my last two paragraphs, that wasn't my intent and I apologize if I did. My intent, I guess, was to express my lifelong frustration with a system that I had no control over.

To some extent, that is true; not all foreigners who come to visit or go here for college, etc., respect our culture. (Believe me, I've witnessed a few situations at the hospital where I work.) My point was that whether they come here, or we go over to their counties, the basic gesture of greeting one another should simply follow the rules of etiquette practiced by the host country. (In that sense, I would put my own feelings aside, and defer to the host country for a greeting only.)

As for the nun jokes/stories, I got a big chuckle out of those. I had heard (somewhat) similar things through the years, and I was selectively choosing one of the more inoffensive descriptions, "penguins" when the kids used to refer to them at school. :happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I hope not.
On the DDP especially, lunch is a great value as a QS!

I've been following that BOG thread a little on occasion; and I've always wanted to see inside BOG, because the pictures of it are so pretty. As you mentioned, lunch is a better value as well for BOG, as a QS. The reason I haven't tried to go there yet, is because all I've heard about are the huge lines no matter what time of day you go there (lunch or dinner). When I go to WDW, I'm only there for 3-4 days, and the last thing I want to do waste a few hours waiting in line for a QS, or even a table service meal. Still, I wish it wasn't so crowded, as I'd like to experience it before I croak. :D

Cesar R M

Ha! 240 calories of fat, out of a total of 290 calories in the entire stick! :hilarious:
need to be careful there lol.
As some brands use to dirtily skew the "portion" size.

reminds me of Pringles. Where the portion is actually 5 chips.
And they still have insane amounts of sodium and fat.

so.. if someone eats the "cylinder" of chips.. they would be getting 2000 to 5000X the daily recommended ration.

Cesar R M

But you don't like tomatoes... You are a difficult creature to understand, Jennifer S.
zufLMZS.gif

Cesar R M

I've been following that BOG thread a little on occasion; and I've always wanted to see inside BOG, because the pictures of it are so pretty. As you mentioned, lunch is a better value as well for BOG, as a QS. The reason I haven't tried to go there yet, is because all I've heard about are the huge lines no matter what time of day you go there (lunch or dinner). When I go to WDW, I'm only there for 3-4 days, and the last thing I want to do waste a few hours waiting in line for a QS, or even a table service meal. Still, I wish it wasn't so crowded, as I'd like to experience it before I croak. :D
Seconding here. I wanted to see the inside.

The bad thing is, last time we tried to enter.. it was closed most of the time.. and the third time.. it was packed and the CM in the front of the bridge was preventing more people from getting in.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

But ... you're okay with offending your bestie with the first paragraph? :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So here's a question for anyone, but perhaps, @StarWarsGirl95 in particular. If cats and dogs are covered in fur, then why in heck do they all insist on sitting in front of the window with the most warm sunshine, and snoozing in front of it? I mean, aren't they warm enough to begin with, all covered in fur??!! (Granted, I keep the heat level at 60 degrees here in the winter; but, that's still fine for me, and I'm not even covered in fur. Lately, he has abandoned his dog bed to go hang out in the sun and then fall asleep.) :cat:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom