Would you purchase a "Guaranteed Week" from DVC?

Would you consider buying a guaranteed week?

• YES

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • NO

Votes: 63 84.0%

• Total voters

DVC Mike

Original Poster
This is a poll to ask if you'd be interested in purchasing a "guaranteed week" from DVC. This option was offered by DVC starting with Aulani, and then offered for the Villas at the Grand Floridian and the new Polynesian Villas and Bungalows.

An explanation of the Guaranteed Weeks option is available here.

Last edited:
I voted no...things in life can change so quickly and I would be really unhappy if I had a week I couldn't use. My family has a set week time share on the gulf coast of Florida, and due to a promotion at work (which is an otherwise good thing), I have not been able to enjoy it for about five years. I plan to buy into DVC in the next few years and I really prefer that it is not a fixed week. I would rather take my chances trying to get in at 11 months out.

StarWarsGirl

Nope. For one thing, we don't vacation for a week other than at Hilton Head. We usually do a split stay in the summer of 4 and 12 days or 6 and 10 days, and in the winter, we do the full 10 days. We don't do the whole Hawaii trips at Aulani, but usually spend 8 days there, and we can only go there every 2-3 years. Also doesn't seem worth a premium. We've never had a problem getting our home resorts right at 11 months out.

dreamfinder

Not planning on buying one. I can see them being popular if you needed to travel at a certain time. Same Feb vacation week, Christmas week, etc. But with the costs there already being so high, can't see the extra premium at all.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
No, I love the flexibility of the point system. Without that I would not have purchased into Disney Vacation Club.

MorganKelly

Not for us. Although we often find ourselves at WDW in August, we quite often can plan another quick trip in the late fall. And the flexibility of DVC was a major plus for us when we purchased. We haven't changed our minds about that.

Phonedave

One of the key things that made me purchase DVC was that it did not have fixed weeks.

Fixed weeks just don't work for me. Even floating weeks that have to be weeks don't work. I need the flexibility to go for 1 to 10 nights, at various times during the year.

-dave

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So it seems that everyone thinks you HAVE to go during that week, like a traditional timeshare. Not true. If you purchase a week, you can let DVC know in advance that you will not be using it, and then your points become just regular use points for that year. Can be banked, borrowed, etc. Used for any other resort just like everyone else. They do cost a premium that I don't think is worth it, but some may disagree.

Phonedave

It seems to me that everyone is saying a fixed week is not something that they can use, so even if you could cancel it an move it, paying a premium for it is not something people would do.

Would I like it if I could get a guaranteed week at no additional charge? You bet, but I doubt I would use it that often.

-dave

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So it seems that everyone thinks you HAVE to go during that week, like a traditional timeshare. Not true. If you purchase a week, you can let DVC know in advance that you will not be using it, and then your points become just regular use points for that year. Can be banked, borrowed, etc. Used for any other resort just like everyone else. They do cost a premium that I don't think is worth it, but some may disagree.
Not everyone...I just said it wasn't worth the premium. I was aware that you didn't have to use the points for the fixed week.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not everyone...I just said it wasn't worth the premium. I was aware that you didn't have to use the points for the fixed week.
I agree it isn't worth the premium for a fixed week, but at least you are still getting the full value for your points if you use them for a different stay. I don't think it is a good use of points for a fixed week at all.

toolsnspools

I'm not for owning a fixed week. Seems to me that it's a negative for the non-fixed contracts at those resorts. If 35% of the best weeks are bought up by fixed contracts, that would make it that much harder to book those weeks, even at 11 months.

loveglobe

Buying a GW for a 49 year long contract at VGF made no sense to us. There's no way we (or I think most people) can commit to going the same week every year for the next 49 years of our lives. Unless you do it for Xmas or 4th of July and plan to sell that week every year for a profit, but even that seems like an unreliable business plan for the next 49 years.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Buying a GW for a 49 year long contract at VGF made no sense to us. There's no way we (or I think most people) can commit to going the same week every year for the next 49 years of our lives. Unless you do it for Xmas or 4th of July and plan to sell that week every year for a profit, but even that seems like an unreliable business plan for the next 49 years.
OK, you do know that you are not required to go that week at Disney, right? You can let them know ahead of time that you won't be using your week that year, and your points become normal DVC points that can be used anywhere. Anyone can then reserve that room with their points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom