What does the future hold for Epcot?

CentralFloridaRocks831

Original Poster
I hate to say Epcot hasn't realkt lived up to its true potential, yes I'm getting this from screamscape again because it just doesn't deliver the type of attractions like DGH, AK and MK do. The thing that's lacking from Epcot I hate to admit it is coming from the future world side...not world showcase. WS is the best thing about Epcot IMO. It's just Epcot has to many eduvational type of stuff, the thrill rides aren't really their. Theirs something missing from Epcot I'm not saying its thrill rides, but something has to change in the near future starting with future world. I'll be shocked if Epcot is drawing in massive crowds. Wonder what their attendance numbers are.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
image.jpg

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Great post, thoughts included
I hate to say Epcot hasn't realkt lived up to its true potential,
Correct. It used to really be awful with lots of sit still and look at stuff rides that were akin to be forced to attend a lecture drive by style. It has gotten a bit better, but they still don't have unicorns or explosions and the like.
yes I'm getting this from screamscape again because it just doesn't deliver the type of attractions like DGH, AK and MK do.
Also true. The other theme parks deliver attractions directly to my house. At this very moment in my backyard I have the Tiki Bird room and some other things that don't matter. What does matter is that @sshindel won't leave.
The thing that's lacking from Epcot I hate to admit it is coming from the future world side...not world showcase. WS is the best thing about Epcot IMO.
Your observational skills are unmatched. Drink up my friend!
It's just Epcot has to many eduvational type of stuff, the thrill rides aren't really their.
Yes. Though I tend to fall asleep on boring Soarin', I too feel a bit incensed when I'm forced to attend shows that feature linear algebra, fluid dynamics, singing fruit, and nine pound lemons (great name for a rock band).
Theirs something missing from Epcot I'm not saying its thrill rides, but something has to change in the near future starting with future world. I'll be shocked if Epcot is drawing in massive crowds. Wonder what their attendance numbers are.
Last year they drew 6 people. Five people were the Lancaster family from Pennsylvania. The sixth was this drunkard from Canada, @Monty .

The Empress Lilly

From the looks of it, there will be a FW Thrill, with TT and M:S, plus the rivetting Jeopardy '96. And a FW Family, with increased capacity Soarin', Nemo and Imagination. When a suitable IP presents itself Imagination will be redone.
WS for its part will be split into World Fantasyland, from Donald Duckland to Arendelle, the remainder becoming Downtown Disney.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.
tr42.gif

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The Arendelle Pavilion will fix any attendance woes.

What does the future hold for Epcot? Let's ask the Magic Conch Shell, shall we....
563a1f62f91d6fe0d11e03bd390cc66f538aae29ebadb44a9d27ca4ac8e48a3f.jpg

I think the F&W fest has it covered already.

The future?

Eating and drinking plus eating and drinking events.

That's how the park floats.

Food and Whine

From the looks of it, there will be a FW Thrill, with TT and M:S, plus the rivetting Jeopardy '96. And a FW Family, with increased capacity Soarin', Nemo and Imagination. When a suitable IP presents itself Imagination will be redone.
WS for its part will be split into World Fantasyland, from Donald Duckland to Arendelle, the remainder becoming Downtown Disney.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and, above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.
tr42.gif

Saddest topic on these boards for me. EPCOT was such a big part of my life in the 80's and 90's. I'm taking a little break for Orlando trips. The next one will be with my in-laws sometime in 2016. They won't suggest we have any EPCOT time. Last time I pushed for it. This time I'm just going to go with the flow. *sad*

Clamman73

Saddest topic on these boards for me. EPCOT was such a big part of my life in the 80's and 90's. I'm taking a little break for Orlando trips. The next one will be with my in-laws sometime in 2016. They won't suggest we have any EPCOT time. Last time I pushed for it. This time I'm just going to go with the flow. *sad*
It's a tough pill to swallow. This past fall I took a moment to sit down by UoE at the benches there under where the monorail passes over, and thought to myself about being there thirty years ago experiencing Universe with the rotating screens and the smell of the dinosaur part with the mist and all that...then I looked at the entrance there and said to myself...I can't go in there now...I can't.

I'm going to hope we're at the bottom of the curve, and that sometime in the next 5-10 years Future World can really start to turn around. I don't know if it's the vision at the top that's holding things back there, but I'm just going to keep hopeful.

sjhym333

EPCOT is my favorite park. I am a child of the 1964/65 NY Worlds Fair and when EPCOT Center opened it really harkened back to those days for me. As other parks on the WDW property have morphed, I have appreciated the attempts to hold onto the vision of the park originators.

Having said all that, there are several problems for EPCOT that I am not sure how Disney will ultimately address. The first is the old Tomorrowland issue. How do you build big, expensive attractions and keep them forward thinking without constant refurbishments that cost lots of money? The answer in Tomorrowland has been to add Disney characters. I would hope that they don't do that at EPCOT. While I am currently neutral about the change from Maelstrom to Frozen (that may change after it opens), I am disappointed about the big character meet and greet they are also building.

Disney has been hit or miss with changes and additions at EPCOT. It really is time to add another country or two to World Showcase. An additional attraction or two back there wouldn't hurt either. Their changes in Imagination have not been great and while I enjoyed seeing Captain EO again it has run its course and a new 3-D adventure would be great. And please bring back Dreamfinder. I enjoyed the Test Track redo for the most part but it is time to retire Ellen from Energy.

I don't know what the answer to "fixing" EPCOT. My concern is that Disney will continue to push synergy with the characters throughout the park. I think that would be terrible, but that seems to be the current go to for Disney admin. I am already not renewing my AP of 20+ years. Turning EPCOT into another character park I would probably stop doing WDW all together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom