Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
At DSP, the entire park and especially the entrance are supposed to be studios, so it works to have the water tower at the front. At DHS, the front of the park and Sunset are meant to actually be Hollywood and not a studio, so it doesn't quite work to have it at the entrance.
There again, if the park moves away from a "Studio" park theme it could go anywhere...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
This thread has made me hate instagram and twitter image hosting... we have 6 and 8mp cameras taking these shots... but we are being fed through a 400x400 straw

I too hate knowing that a higher resolution image exists behind these pixelated low res pieces of garbage that my sensitive eyeballs are exposed to on a daily basis here on the information superhighway. Here's what I do. First I make the 400x400 image in your example take up the entirety of the screen on my 55" adult film monitor. I then take a high res picture with a camera. Now, the next bit is a bit time consuming, but straightforward. Print out the picture on a poster presentation printer. I prefer a width of at least 4 feet and in your example the height would also be 4 feet. Then, I hire a group of graphic artists and we examine the color on each area of the image and begin to fill these sections in by hand with oil paints. Be careful! Posters can be pricey and you don't want to have to print it out again. Make sure that before you fill in a section with say a sky blue that you have agreed by majority vote that you've hit upon the correct color for that 0.025 mm^2 section of the poster image. Finally, take a 12 Megapixel picture if you so desire with your SLR, transfer to a computational device attached to a printing device (I prefer monks because I'm old school) print it out, and tape it to the computer monitor of your choice. You are now viewing a high res image!

There again, if the park moves away from a "Studio" park theme it could go anywhere...

Next you'll tell me it isn't a working studio anymore!
paranoid.gif

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I completely agree. It's a shame that people block off the detail, story, and beauty of not just the studios, but all the parks and I can't wait to see the original view for the first time. The sorcerer's hat had no connection to the park at all, except fantasmic and still that's not enough for an excuse.
Walt once said (when questioned why he put so much detail into Disneyland) something along the lines of "they may not think they notice, but if it's NOT there, they'll notice that".

That's paraphrasing, but it's true. Not every guest has to notice every detail, but take those details away, and the immersion is gone.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The only permit so far for this location is for Coastal Steel to do the demolition. I doubt they would do concrete work, so I would expect at least one more permit to cover that.

I spoke to soon, there was another permit filed today for this area. The contractor is Slalom Construction who does a lot of smaller projects for Disney. They spend most of last year adding roof safety railings to various attractions, although their work is not limited to that sort of thing. No expiration so it gets a default 1 year expiration.

Hub Enhancements - Construction

Cesar R M

I too hate knowing that a higher resolution image exists behind these pixelated low res pieces of garbage that my sensitive eyeballs are exposed to on a daily basis here on the information superhighway. Here's what I do. First I make the 400x400 image in your example take up the entirety of the screen on my 55" adult film monitor. I then take a high res picture with a camera. Now, the next bit is a bit time consuming, but straightforward. Print out the picture on a poster presentation printer. I prefer a width of at least 4 feet and in your example the height would also be 4 feet. Then, I hire a group of graphic artists and we examine the color on each area of the image and begin to fill these sections in by hand with oil paints. Be careful! Posters can be pricey and you don't want to have to print it out again. Make sure that before you fill in a section with say a sky blue that you have agreed by majority vote that you've hit upon the correct color for that 0.025 mm^2 section of the poster image. Finally, take a 12 Megapixel picture if you so desire with your SLR, transfer to a computational device attached to a printing device (I prefer monks because I'm old school) print it out, and tape it to the computer monitor of your choice. You are now viewing a high res image!

Next you'll tell me it isn't a working studio anymore!
paranoid.gif
well,. there is a reason hipters and wanna-be photographers use instagram and real photographers use flickr (or other heavy content image servers) :eek:

note2001

I spoke to soon, there was another permit filed today for this area. The contractor is Slalom Construction who does a lot of smaller projects for Disney. They spend most of last year adding roof safety railings to various attractions, although their work is not limited to that sort of thing. No expiration so it gets a default 1 year expiration.

Hub Enhancements - Construction

Thank you! hopefully this should take no where near a year.
Love how the drawing of area to be worked on shows the hidden Mickey extremely well.

kucarachi

90% of the movies are owned By Time Warner, which owns Turner, which owns TCM. Name one movie that is owned by Sony? Alien is 20th century Fox and Mary Poppins is obviously Disney. Some movies were Warner Bros movies, but they are all either MGM, Warner Bros, or Disney.(excluding Alien. Indiana Jones is now Disney) Turner/Time Warner owns all MGMs library pre 1986 therefore they own the rights to almost all the movies in the attraction. The reason why there is so many MGM movies in GMR is because that studio made the epitome of Classic films.

I did not research every single film in the ride, but Sony bought MGM for about 5 billion 11 years ago didn't they? Time Warner didn't like the price so they passed on it and let the Japanese have it from what i've read. I'm not saying any of the movies are bad or aren't classics but Disney wanted to compete with Universal Studios and at the time didn't have much of a live action resume for exciting theme park attractions...which is most likely why up until Pixar moved in, Disney studios has the most non disney brands in it...which i'm not against. Just couldn't picture going to Yankee stadium and they have Red Sox memorabilia for sale

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I did not research every single film in the ride, but Sony bought MGM for about 5 billion 11 years ago didn't they? Time Warner didn't like the price so they passed on it and let the Japanese have it from what i've read. I'm not saying any of the movies are bad or aren't classics but Disney wanted to compete with Universal Studios and at the time didn't have much of a live action resume for exciting theme park attractions...which is most likely why up until Pixar moved in, Disney studios has the most non disney brands in it...which i'm not against. Just couldn't picture going to Yankee stadium and they have Red Sox memorabilia for sale
Well thank goodness the ride is dedicated to the history of film, not which legal entity owns which rights. Although again, most of the film segments represent films owned by TCM.

And no, it would be like going to the Baseball Hall of Fame and seeing merchandise there from many different teams....

The Rocketeer

Disney may have wanted to compete with Universal when they broke ground for MGM, but they were planning an Epcot pavilion all around classic film before. Michael Eisner and Marty Sklar decided that there was enough ideas there that they should build a theme park, but Eisner was probably thinking lets compete with the theme park that's there to compete with WDW. I get what you're saying. Who cares who owns MGM now, Turner/Warner Bros/TCM owns the rights to the important MGM movies ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom