The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

Kate Alan

Due to a scheduling conflict we moved our trip from late May to mid July. Regardless, I am super excited about my DLR trip. Kids haven't been there, they are WDW veterans but I think Walt's park and the anniversary are going to blow their minds. I still enjoy our WDW trips, butI have a level of anticipation and excitement for this trip like I haven't had for a Disney trip in years.

We're going right over the anniversary itself...I'm sure it'll be a madhouse, but like you said, the anticipation and excitement are at a level where I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. I've done two trips to WDW a year for the last three years (I was point person on a lot of "first timer" trips with friends), and was honestly getting burned out. DLR was a breath of fresh air this past summer, and I cannot wait to go back.

Re: the hatbox ghost

The Disney parks blog posted a teaser, claiming that there is a surprise in the mansion that will materialize soon...!

http://bit.ly/1wJHWqP

Out of all of the 60th celebration additions, announced or rumored, this is the one I'm most excited for. The Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride and the idea that I might be able to see a variant of the Hatbox Ghost outside of a YouTube video just has me beside myself with giddiness.

GiveMeTheMusic

We're going right over the anniversary itself...I'm sure it'll be a madhouse, but like you said, the anticipation and excitement are at a level where I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

I was there on the actual 50th birthday and honestly, the crowds were there for two reasons - day of merch and the castle ceremony. Once everyone had bought their pins and seen the ceremony, the park felt almost dead. Thousands had camped out all night in DCA (I myself spent the night just outside Disney Junior) and very few of those people stuck around once the hoopla was over. There was even merch left over.

Of course things may be different on July 17th this time around, but I suspect it will follow a similar pattern assuming they allow guests to line up overnight.

It was so much damn fun.

VJ

I was there on the actual 50th birthday and honestly, the crowds were there for two reasons - day of merch and the castle ceremony. Once everyone had bought their pins and seen the ceremony, the park felt almost dead. Thousands had camped out all night in DCA (I myself spent the night just outside Disney Junior) and very few of those people stuck around once the hoopla was over. There was even merch left over.

Of course things may be different on July 17th this time around, but I suspect it will follow a similar pattern assuming they allow guests to line up overnight.

It was so much **** fun.
I was there too! Seemed not very crowded than usual to my 10-year-old self but I enjoyed my cupcake and golden ears nonetheless! Watched Walt's dedication on the big screen in Tomorrowland, too!

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
i-k4vd8cc-O.png

i-dtHSff5-O.png

i-vTvZ7tz-O.png

Matterhorn's progress:

i-Xpkn9qc-O.png

They're taking the sleds apart...hopefully another dream of mine is coming true.

i-KvmMGdC-O.png

Working on the Well:

i-WFvzPvS-O.png

Another look at Pan before it goes down in a week:

i-hrpDLbC-O.png

i-Tj93G6x-O.png

i-t6Vc9hb-O.png

Speaking of Pan, it looks like he misses his home already:

i-884d2Nf-O.png

Thanks to Mint Crocodile for his weekly updates.

http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/

BalooChicago

We are planning a trip to DL in early May for our anniversary, think there will be a lot of stuff still in refurb for the 22, or should we be ok?

George Lucas on a Bench

The most we can hope for with the bobsleds is padding on the seats. Looks like they're just removing the plastic components like the bumpers and the handrails that have gotten sticky and disgusting.

TP2000

There's a possibility that nighttime at Disneyland this Summer will be total anarchy.

Excitement? Yes. Anarchy? Highly doubtful.

If your avatar pic is you, then you look like you may have been a toddler during the mid 1990's. I was most definitely not a toddler, and had begun visiting the park quite regularly during 1995-97 after moving back to California after a few decades on the East Coast. I remember Disneyland circa 1995-97 quite well, and the crowd control was crazy but it worked.

In those days, Fantasmic! was just a couple years old, the MSEP was glowing away, and Light Magic was debuting. There was also a brand new ride called Indiana Jones Adventure. During 1995-97 they routinely had three Fantasmic! shows per night, two Electrical Parades, and a fireworks show. Disneyland set attendance records during the summer and fall of 1996, and it was crazy. And they most definitely never sent people "backstage" or had any concept of a "Backstage Alley" that they now have. But they made it work.

Light Magic was a mess, to be sure. But mainly because it wasn't a parade, it was a 20 minute show that stopped on the street. Also, it was crap. (But that's another thread.)

Fast forward to 2015 and now there's two parks, with DCA offering a fabulous water show of its own a couple times per night. Disneyland now has these nifty backstage alleyways that can funnel thousands of people per hour out and around the parade or fireworks crowd on Main Street. Disneyland has also proven that they can staff and manage crowd control crews that are lightyears better and more professional than the crowd control at Magic Kingdom Park in WDW. They know what they're doing at Disneyland.

The only park that does crowd control better is Tokyo Disneyland, but part of that is that 99% of their customers are Japanese and obey instructions and instinctively think of others not just themselves.

Will the summer of 2015 be crazy and very busy? Yes. Will the first week or two of Paint The Night and Forever be hectic and overwhelming? Yes. But from my own experience, each night they'll tweak and adjust and respond. And by the 4th of July the Disneyland crowd control team will have things locked down and working well.

Just stay to your right, please, and you'll be fine. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom