Saving Mr. Banks. Going to see it or not?

828tnt

OMG, Tim, HI!!!! Haven't seen you round here in ages! Where've you been?? DHS 25th anniversary coming up, met you at Epcot's 30th...

hey! great to hear from you tig!!! i've been quite busy with elias- who totally loves almost all things disney ;) i think our next trip will likely be close to his birthday again in late sept/ early oct, i kinda like our tradition ;)

my wife and i honestly got quite a kick out of just hearing the words elias disney! it almost felt like a personal "elbow nudge" from uncle walt while we sat in the theater lol.

and again, to those who have not watched the film, see it! i was really almost resigned to disliking hanks as walt, for my own selfishness thinking he may not pull it off- he simply dazzled. the rest of the cast was incredible as well. i'm not colin ferrell fan but i thought he hit it out of the park. emma thompson deserves all the accolades she is getting. and i thought the smaller roles were perfect as well- giamatti, whitford, novak, schwartzman....

now if only they would do the whole life story of walt.....

828tnt

Thought this might interest you all!

Mary Poppins World Premier (funny gag at 11:20, PL Travers at 11:55, Walt at 12:25)

The Making of Mary Poppins (1 of 6)

the audio from that first vid is played on a recording at one of the shops in dhs if i'm not mistaken. it was somewhat noticeable in the movie as well.

Figments Friend

I saw the film a few days ago, while visiting a friend in NYC.

I purposely stayed away from reviews and possible spoilers...and went in with a fresh and open mind.

I liked it.
Not quite what i was expecting, but i liked it none the less.
It was a nice surprise.

I think the element i enjoyed the most was seeing the retro-recreations of the Walt Disney Studios and LAX.
That was a hoot...and lots of fun period correct details in the backgrounds.
The exception of course being the glaring Fantastyland footage...with 1983 facades in what was supposed to be 1960s Disneyland.
Why was that not digitally *erased*...or digitally *covered up* with a alternative background?
Not trying to be nitpicky...but it was odd that the film makers worked so hard to get everything else *period correct* but totally blew the Fantasyland scenes.

The other elements i enjoyed -
(Warning...SPOILERS if you have not seen the film yet )

------------------------------------------------

The relationship between the Misses and her Studio assigned driver, Ralph.
I enjoyed that interplay between the characters, and how that developed through the course of the film.
It had a funky *Driving Miss Daisy* feel at times...which was likely unintentional but i was reminded of it.

One surprise for me was the constant intercutting between the past in Australia, and the present in either London or Burbank.
At first i found it a little jarring...but as the film progressed it was a interesting tool to further some story points. In the end i appreciated the different approach.
It gave it almost a art film feel to it which was a nice change from the norm.

------------------------------------------

( end of spoilers...)

Emma was great as the lead, and Tom was a decent Walt.

I found the film to be a fun exercise in nostalgia, and enjoyable primarily for that and the great performances of the leads.
It was funny and could be touching at times....overall it was worth seeing.

Not a film i would likely be in a rush to see again, but i did enjoy the two hours in the dark watching it.

If you are a old-school Disney fan it is likely something you would enjoy as well.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am fine with it being deleted as well. I think it lays out the point a bit too obviously (which the audience had probably already gathered by this part of the movie anyhow). I think the reveal is much stronger with Disney "chasing her down" in London, instead of this scene.

Still, well acted and fun to watch!

fractal

Just saw it for the first time. I laughed, I cried and very much enjoyed it. Bringing Walt back to life along with that time period was magical, but the real story is about the relationship between a child and Father.

Wonderfully done.

disney4life2008

I am watching the movie again for the 5th time - its playing on cable now. The best part of the movie is the red robin lady :) but seriously, its a great movie

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Tom Hanks nailed it. They should have more movies about Walt with Hanks playing him. Imagine a movie about Disneyland's construction, or about early Silly Symphonies
That makes me giddy.

Make it a trilogy and tack on the Florida Project, and it's sad cause he passes, but with the upbeat ending that his "dream" was realized (ok...yeah, I know technically it wasn't...but gotta end on an upbeat note!)

FoozieBear

Tom Hanks nailed it. They should have more movies about Walt with Hanks playing him. Imagine a movie about Disneyland's construction, or about early Silly Symphonies

I had my fingers crossed for a surprise cameo in Tomorrowland, seeing as Disney had such a big part in Plus Ultra and their recruitment at the '64 World's Fair.

donaldtoo

The only problem I see with that is Hanks playing a Silly Symphonies era 20/30-something Walt, although the series did run 'til '39. I can see him (age 58) easily pulling off the Disneyland construction era Walt, though.
But, then again, Hollywood can pretty much pull off anything, these days. ;) :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The only problem I see with that is Hanks playing a Silly Symphonies era 20/30-something Walt, although the series did run 'til '39. I can see him (age 58) easily pulling off the Disneyland construction era Walt, though.
But, then again, Hollywood can pretty much pull off anything, these days. ;) :)
Might could get away with the story of Snow White up until Disneyland though...

The Cartoonist's Strike could make for some interesting drama, as well as the development of the several movies, how he brought the great old men together, and leave off with a cliffhanger leading into the Disneyland project as the next movie.

Plus, someone is already making a movie about young Walt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3154310/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom