Cost of the Disney Dining plan?

Dog Ate Mouse

One of the reasons the DWF and I go with the Deluxe Dining plan is not for the value in saving or additional spending. We have the attitude that we are on vacation and want to eat where we want (Reservations Made in Advance of Course) not worry about money or cost while on vacation. This is a perfect plan for us because it is for us two big kids to enjoy and enhances our WDW vacation experience. We have everything paid in advance and just go and eat and have fun and play and really do not concern ourselves with the money aspect.
Now we have gone without the plan and it was not as fun because we had to make sure of our funds or lack there of and made it a little unpleasant. This plan works for us and will not work for everyone else. Families and I understand fully about budgets and expense can be tough and limit activities. When our Daughter was little the first few trips we worried about budgets and dining. Now since our daughter is grown and married we worry about just going on vacation, paying up front for everything and get there and just relax and not think about nothing other than having fun and and where we need to be for dining times.
With one child I feel the dining plan for the most part is the way to go, for multiple children then maybe not so much. It really does come down to each individual family and their budget.

kniquy

We just came back and had the dining plan (snack QS TS) I found it worth the money and we probably came out a little ahead. It really isn't intended to save much money but the convenience of not scouring the menu for the least expensive menu items was enjoyable. For us 2 adults and 2 9 yo boys we would typically have a TS meal that was around $120 so at a cost of approx $158 per day for the family of 4 we found it worth it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just keep in mind when budgeting that for the most part gratuities are not included and should be figured based on the menu prices. DDP or room charge are both a convenient MagicBand transaction, though I can understand how prepaying puts some at ease. I've gone both with and without the DDP and honestly the savings depends a lot on where and what you eat. The plan saves you money if you like buffets, typically order the most expensive item on the menu, and like to have dessert at every meal. When I'm on the plan, I do all of the above to get my money's worth. Doing that, yes, I come out ahead versus if I had paid a la carte. And I enjoy every bite, but I need bigger pants by the end of the week. When I pay menu price, I don't worry about the price too much (hey, I'm on vacation - if I want the filet I get the filet) and what I've noticed is that I tend to order less food and save a little money. I don't really want a dessert after every meal. And I don't feel bad about ordering less expensive menu items (ie: chicken, salad, etc instead of the porterhouse) if that is what I actually happen to be in the mood for. You'll get some who swear by the DDP, some who swear it off, and some who bring a receipt book and calculator and spend their whole vacation trying to figure out if they are saving $5 or not. Just kind of depends on your family's needs and appetite - but seriously don't be the person with the receipt book and calculator on the table at California Grill.

Yes, please, don't be THAT person.

So very true. Thanks to the DDP, I've probably gained 10 pounds making sure to get the value of my $60/person/per night plan. The portion size of meals at most Disney restaurants is waaaay too large. lol

We don't do it anymore. I don't want a dessert at lunch, sometimes not at dinner and want the flexibility of not using the Plan. Plus, I think charging $41.99 a night for a child older than 10 (but not a bottomless pit [teenager]) is ridiculous. Which is why we've gone the Tables in Wonderland route. Which includes a 20% discount on alcohol and 18% gratuity. If someone is using the dining plan so that their meals "are already paid for", why not put the cost of the meal plan for everyone on the trip on Disney gift cards and use those to pay for your meals? Many times, we don't eat lunch since we like to have a nice big breakfast before we head out for the day. And we usually like to have dinner between 6 - 7PM. If anyone gets hungry before then, I always have snacks in the room, like fruit, humus, crackers, etc.

Many times, especially if it's just me (I tend to stay a day later than the rest of my usual traveling group, especially if it's a holiday trip - oh, the joys of retirement), a hot dog at Casey's is a great dinner.

SnarkyMonkey

I would be nervous to put the food money in gift cards because I would be tempted to use them for shopping and other things. But if you have better restraint than me, this is a good strategy.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I would be nervous to put the food money in gift cards because I would be tempted to use them for shopping and other things. But if you have better restraint than me, this is a good strategy.

That is very true - restraint leaves at the door when you are at Disney.

SnarkyMonkey

That is very true - restraint leaves at the door when you are at Disney.

The other problem is I would probably me more conscious of spending. I know myself well. I would be trying to maximize my money and would probsbly skip desserts, etc. I know it's just a mental trick I play with myself but when I'm on DDP, I don't think twice. I order whatever I want and forget that I really am paying for it. Know what I mean?

Disnee4Me

My problem with the DDP is that it includes dessert, but my DH is more of an appetizer eater, so with the extra costs, it would not be advantageous to us unless we had free dining!

Courtney6682

Yes, please, don't be THAT person.

If someone is using the dining plan so that their meals "are already paid for", why not put the cost of the meal plan for everyone on the trip on Disney gift cards and use those to pay for your meals?

This is exactly what we are doing this year...we are huge fans of the dining plan...just don't want to pay up front for it because we want to book a few trips this yr all at once and want to do Disney for as little as possible. I redeemed our Chase pts and have $131 on a gift card and then plan on buying a $500 Disney gc at Target with my red card...and voila! Make your own dining plan :)

Lucky

If the DDP is really so convenient, why do people spend so much time talking to CMs about what's covered and what's not?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Just a couple of thoughts...we have travelled with the DDP and without about an equal number of times. Often to great benefit and other times not so much. Currently we have an 11 year old daughter who doesn't eat a whole lot, so it is not worth it for us now as she costs the same as an adult and often still wants a kids meal or just an appetizer.

We found that when our daughter was between 7 and 9 years old, it was a great value. Since the counter service credits don't have to be used on a kids meal, many of our CS meals were two adult meals shared between the three of us. After a couple days, we have another meal worth of credits. And the value of the DDP is quite good when you are doing Character meals for most of your table service credits.

We aren't big dessert eaters, and it took a visit or two to realize - many desserts don't have to be eaten right then! All the restaurants will give them to you in a to-go container that you can throw in your backpack (or ask for a bag) and take back to your room. We have come home a few times with a decent number of chocolate cakes and key lime pies from CS meals. Gives us some nice Disney moments in the week after our trip!

Dad 2 M & M

Don't use the DDP anymore and buy the Disney gift cars at Sam's Club instead.

We are glad we used the DDP in the past, as back in the day we made some ressies based on $$$$ menu prices for the "perceived victory" of maxing credit value at each meal. I doubt we would have ever tried Tutto Italia, Le Cellier (pre-sig), Brown Derby, etc... if we were OOP vs. paying with credits.

Because of the exposure to T/S ressies while on the DDP, we now have must do ressies each trip, even when paying OOP (prepaid Disney cards).

MickeyMomV

The DDP is all about personal preference and your personal thought process. We go with the mindset that we want to try different things that we don't get at home. Having free reign at the menu with the DDP gives us that. Going with the mindset of I have to gain 10 lbs to get "my money's worth" is absurd. The same goes for our 10 year old. If he wants to try the filet at LeCellier with his Mac and cheese, awesome! Does he have to eat it all? Heck no! It's vacation, let's try some new things and not give a thought to cost or food not eaten.

Matt_Black

Regarding the amount of food, don't forget that, at least as far as QS spots go, most will give you a to-go container if you ask, and most of hotels have mini-fridges. Last trip, my first day home was finishing off the meal I'd started at the parks 2 days prior. Nice little way to take some magic home.

Goofnut1980

You're welcome! The peace of mine going to a restaurant and not having to worry about paying makes it worth it for me IMO.

I agree with you 100%. We tried one of our trips to not have DDP and it was a complete pain in the butt to have to pay for each meal. It is more convenient vs actually saving any money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom