Splurge on WL or extra day for Epcot

Hey there! I am hoping you guys can help me make this decision. My family (DH, DS 9, DD 7, DS 4) and I have been lucky to visit the world 5 times in the last 7 years. We typically stay at the values due to cost with one visit to POR. We always go during free dining as we like that perk. This year we were going to skip Disney as we have an extended family trip planned. However I have decided to save up for a once of a lifetime surprise Christmas trip for a few days after Thanksgiving. My plan was to do POR, do the MVMCP, one extra day at MK and one day at HS to see the Osborne lights. If I could save extra $ we would go to Epcot as well. But being a little OCD about planning, I started looking at renting DVC points instead. My dream has been to stay at Wilderness Lodge but the cost for a weeklong stay will probably always be out of the question. Since this would just be 3 nights, I found it may only be about $200 more than POR with a room discount. So what would you do? Splurge on the room or use the money for another park day at Epcot? Thanks for any insight you guys can give!

Jahona

Hmm this is a hard one. I think if I was in your shoes, having been to Disney several times in a relatively short time, I would choose staying at Wilderness Lodge. Since your doing a once in a lifetime trip for Christmas go ahead and stay at your dream hotel.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What's your touring style? I might lean towards the extra park day since you'll probably be spending loads of time in the parks on such a short trip. The perks of staying in a deluxe resort are felt much more on a longer trip where you're taking your time, enjoying the amenities, and spending lots of time in the room and common areas. If you're going to be in the parks from open to close, then the resort is really just a place to lay your head at night.

Upvote 0

tlev

I say splurge for Wilderness Lodge. It's gorgeous. Since you have visited the park so many times, I think it would be more memorable to stay somewhere you've always wanted to stay instead of adding an extra park day.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hey there! I am hoping you guys can help me make this decision. My family (DH, DS 9, DD 7, DS 4) and I have been lucky to visit the world 5 times in the last 7 years. We typically stay at the values due to cost with one visit to POR. We always go during free dining as we like that perk. This year we were going to skip Disney as we have an extended family trip planned. However I have decided to save up for a once of a lifetime surprise Christmas trip for a few days after Thanksgiving. My plan was to do POR, do the MVMCP, one extra day at MK and one day at HS to see the Osborne lights. If I could save extra $ we would go to Epcot as well. But being a little OCD about planning, I started looking at renting DVC points instead. My dream has been to stay at Wilderness Lodge but the cost for a weeklong stay will probably always be out of the question. Since this would just be 3 nights, I found it may only be about $200 more than POR with a room discount. So what would you do? Splurge on the room or use the money for another park day at Epcot? Thanks for any insight you guys can give!

I would choose the resort option this time. Its a hard choice b.c you really can't go wrong either way.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We splurged and rented DVC points for Wilderness Lodge for our last trip (after previously staying only at moderates). I'd say it's worth the extra $200, for sure! It's a beautiful resort, and if your family has been to WDW several times already, they might not miss having to skip one of the parks this time around... plus if you plan to visit the MK at least twice, you'll appreciate the 5-minute bus ride (and boat launch option) from VWL!

Upvote 0

firecatgirl

Splurge :) the Lodge is amazing. We have never been there for the Holidays and cannot wait to see it in December! We also rented ponits last time we were there and yes it was worth it renting :) but we are not doing that this time we are staying back in the Main Lodge. :)

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

The answer is completely dependent upon your park attendance habits. If you're an open-to-close park commando, then the resort will not be of any great benefit to you. If you like to hang around the resort for a few hours per day, then the more desirable resort will be a great addition to your trip. I advise that the choice be made accordingly.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

WL at Christmas time is AWESOME! So you know my recommendation is to stay there. It looks like you are spending 2 days at MK? If so and you really wanted to go to EPCOT (Which we also love at Christmas) possibly switch the extra MK day for one at EPCOT. Either way enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

aeillill

I would say that since your family seems to go somewhat frequently and its such a short trip you should splurge for WL if you think that's something your family would be more into. Maybe you'd want to look into upgrading your tickets to park hoppers and you could split your DHS day up and do EPCOT earlier in the day.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As a DVC member whose home resort just happens to be the Wilderness Lodge, I say go for the resort! The lobby of the Lodge is amazing at Christmas time, with the beautifully decorated tree in the lobby and all the holiday garland draping the hallway railings. And the lobby of the Villas is also nicely decorated. Plus you can take a boat over to the Magic Kingdom instead of waiting for the bus. And make sure to visit the Grand Floridian to see the full size Gingerbread House in the Lobby.

I believe you can rent DVC points for as low as $14 (check out Dave's DVC rentals), but given the time you want to rent, you need to decide quickly. It's not a super busy time, but you want to make sure Dave has the point inventory available since he buys points from DVC members to resell. You can also purchase the Disney Dining Plan, but not sure how that works since you would be buying points from a third party, rather than directly from a DVC member.

I would recommend renting the 1 bedroom villa instead of a studio. The studio rooms are small, with just a queen size bed and sleeper sofa and it will be cramped for the 5 of you. Right now, one bedroom villas are available from December 1st through December 14 (wasn't sure if you meant right after Thanksgiving or the first week or two in December). Plus the one bedroom gives you a full size kitchen and washer/dryer - always handy when you have children.

Either Dave's website, Touring Plans or the AllEars.Net channel on YouTube will have videos of the rooms.

Hope it works out for you.

Upvote 0

Luvmydisney

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks so much for the suggestions. Typically we are at the parks most of the day and still find time to enjoy our resort. Even though this will be a short trip, I would definitely make time to explore WL! I don't think we'll do park hoppers this time as the draw to any park this trip are the nighttime offerings. With that said, will I regret not going to Epcot for Christmas/candlelight processional? @Weather_Lady I saw your thread and it was super helpful! I don't think we'll mind the tight quarters of the studio since we are used to values anyway. However, I wish I could get it for $14a point. I was looking at DVC rentals and to book now is $16. I may have to look more into that.
@LAKid53- do you still feel like the villas is part of the lodge?
Thanks again all!

Upvote 0
The Timeshare Store rents for $12 per point. You can contact them via e-mail at sales@dvcstore.com
They will need dates, desired resort, names and ages of guests, etc. We've never rented from them, but have used them for buying/selling dvc contract and they were always very professional. You might write and give them a try.

Upvote 0

Luvmydisney

Original Poster
The Timeshare Store rents for $12 per point. You can contact them via e-mail at sales@dvcstore.com
They will need dates, desired resort, names and ages of guests, etc. We've never rented from them, but have used them for buying/selling dvc contract and they were always very professional. You might write and give them a try.
I emailed them and found they can only check availability 1-5 months out. We'll see if I am patient and risky enough to wait that long! Thanks for the tip though!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom