How does DisneyWorld get rid of mosquitoes?

Dafid Duck

Have you been in Frontierland? My wife is a mosquito magnet. Frontierland is the only place in Disney where she has ever been bit.

I hear they use "heat posts" that draw mosquitos close then a vacuum pulls them in and traps them. Even still, we dont go to Frontierland as a family. She shops, our daughter and I ride.

Last edited:

Journey_On

Hmm, good point! I can't remember the last time I was bothered by mosquitoes at a WDW park.

I can't really say how they control the mosquito population at the parks, but at Fort Wilderness they have a rather large bat house off in the back area. Our tour guide for the Wilderness Back Trail Adventure (segway tour) told us that the bats were the reason why the mosquito population was well-controlled at FW.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't know what they do, but it's probably the most real magic they have up their sleeve. It's a giant swamp.....and I've never been bitten by a mosquito in 30+ years of visiting.

I'm sure nature takes care of them in some way. Plenty of bats on property to eat them up.

fugawe09

According to the Reedy Creek Improvement District website, mosquitos are collected from 70 sites each week and dissected to determine age, species, etc. Additionally they have 8 chicken flocks that are tested weekly for mosquito-borne diseases. These results guide "spray frequencies and type of treatment applied". Plus you do have natural predators like bats and mosquito-eating fish.

NYwdwfan

I get eaten alive waiting for the Hoop dee Doo every year. Other than than, never been bitten in the parks or resort grounds.

Phil12

WDW has a very extensive and comprehensive integrated pest management program (IPM). It includes biological control of mosquitoes as well as the use of larvicides and insecticides as needed.

kap91

Traditional pesticides as well as encouraging bat and some species of bird to to live there (hence the gourd shaped birdhouses you'll see all over property if you pay attention)

Bairstow

Keeping the surfaces of ponds moving though the use of fountains and other water features also discourage mosquitoes from laying eggs.

ThatMouse

In Florida, they bring out the Vietnam airplanes and helicopters to spray a chemical that prevents mosquitoes from breeding. Mosquitoes come out at dusk, are less common in the winter and don't fly well in the wind.

wdizneew

They use the nastiest smelling, vomit inducing (at least for me) pesticide that they spray on the trees and landscaping. You can witness this (and smell it) very early in the morning (6ish am) on some days at the TTC.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I don't know what they do, but it's probably the most real magic they have up their sleeve. It's a giant swamp.....and I've never been bitten by a mosquito in 30+ years of visiting.

I'm sure nature takes care of them in some way. Plenty of bats on property to eat them up.
@Tom, a bus driver told me that Disney got a great deal on some DDT a couple decades back and have been using that ever since :p

Brad Bishop

I get eaten alive waiting for the Hoop dee Doo every year. Other than than, never been bitten in the parks or resort grounds.

Yeah - there's that one spot right where the dock meets the land under that light that typically has some kind of swarm around it. I don't think it's mosquitos but it's something and incredibly annoying.

Other than that it's amazing how you really don't see any bugs, or at least rarely, at WDW considering:
- You're in Florida (Palmetto Bugs (roaches) everywhere!)
- You're in a swamp
- It's hot/humid (great for the bugs)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom