Seriously considering cancellng 1st trip

TP2000

If he wants, I can attempt to yodel while kicking him in the crotch over and over followed by a few karate chops to his back and neck. Pretty much the same experience. :D

You forgot to make a sock puppet with red googly eyes glued on and yelling "GROWL!!!" at you, to represent Harold. :cool:

cjk0318

We booked our 1st Disneyland trip last July for this upcoming April. So excited for it, but just found out the following will be closed:

Peter Pans Flight
Soarin
World of Color
Matterhorn

The last 2 are HUUUUUGE reasons why we wanted to go to Disneyland. I can't imagine going to Disneyland for the 1st time and not being able to ride the Matterhorn. Problem is, the whole thing is booked and paid for. I don't know. Maybe it's just not meant to be.
World of Color will not be dark in April, it re-opens in March. Original show will be showing.

squidward

Original Poster
World of Color will not be dark in April, it re-opens in March. Original show will be showing.

Apparently, nobody told the "DIS".

First week of February, this is what they have as being down:

Matterhorn
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
Splash Mountain
Winnie The Pooh
It's A Small World
Disneyland Railroad
Peter Pan's Flight
Soarin'
Grizzly River Run

I don't care if they're preparing the park for the arrival of God, that is inexcusable.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Matterhorn
Splash Mountain
Winnie The Pooh
It's A Small World
Disneyland Railroad
Peter Pan's Flight
Soarin'
Grizzly River Run

I don't care if they're preparing the park for the arrival of God, that is inexcusable.
I would cancel and reschedule for later in the year when most winter refurbs will be over.

squidward

Original Poster
I would cancel also, its worth paying the penalty fees

The problem isn't just the $750 in penalty fees. It's the increased airfare. We got a really good deal in April, which is why I booked it. It would be at least another $1,500 round trip for the 5 of us to go in the summer.

Travel Junkie

Matterhorn
Splash Mountain
Winnie The Pooh
It's A Small World
Disneyland Railroad
Peter Pan's Flight
Soarin'
Grizzly River Run

And yet Disneyland will still have more attractions running than MK. If DL’s attraction lineup is unacceptable right now, then MK’s roster is unacceptable all the time.

It’s understandable to be bothered that a once in a great while or once in a lifetime trip is lessened because an attraction you were really looking forward to is down. For future reference DLR always takes down several attractions in off season. About the only times you will see DLR running at or near 100% is during the summer and Christmas and even then you may encounter a closure or two. This year is heavier than past years but not by a whole lot. It is not uncommon to see multiple E tickets down at the same time. DLR has the capacity to handle it. For example last year there was a time when Indy, Space, Big Thunder, and the subs were all down at the same time.

If you decide to come back in the future you should weigh your options. Off season is lighter crowds, shorter hours, and more refurbs. Peak season is larger crowds, longer hours, and fewer refurbs.

squidward

Original Poster
For us in the Northeast, it's not off season. It's Spring Vacation in April. I thought it was for the whole country.

I think the reasoning behind Disneyland's closures is simple: Most of their visitors are local. Not a big deal to them. But for someone like myself, coming from cross country, it is. But I'm in the minority, so it is what it is.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The matterhorn isnt worth changing a trip over... Woc is significant and worthy of mourning.

Dlr has more "big" closures... And this year its more with the 60th coming.

Travel Junkie

Local visitors are a large portion of the crowd no doubt (but not as high as you may think.) There is also other things at play too. DLR has the capacity to allow multiple closures and most importantly attractions need refurbs on a regular basis and DLR provides that. Meanwhile in Florida they wait until the attraction is literally falling apart to repair it. Pirates is the latest example in Orlando of an attraction that needed a lengthy refurb years ago and is only going down soon because the ride has become so bad it can’t hardly function.

Figments Friend

If it were me, i would still go.
There is still so many wonderful things to experience at Disneyland regardless of what might be closed for refurbishment.
Not getting to ride the Matterhorn or a few other Attractions you were really looking forward to should be seen as not a minus...but a plus in that it gives you the perfect excuse to come back again in the future.
Also, i find that when 'priority' Attractions are closed...it can shift your focus to other areas of the Park to discover things you might not have otherwise bothered with.
That in itself is a real blessing in disguise.

An example -
Last year i visited Disneyland the last week in April.
Here is a photo of the bag check entrance sign noting all Attractions that were down at that time.
You should have heard to grumblings from the Guests waiting in line when they saw this ! -

I knew about all of these closures when i booked my visit in January of that year.
Did it stop me from visiting?
Heck NO!
It actually 'forced' me to enjoy the Park from a different perspective and it was wonderful.
I was able to instead go off and try some of the 'lesser' experiences that most Guests visiting from afar might pass over for times sake.
Those experiences ended up being some of the most memorable of that visit.

Sailing on the Rivers of America and checking out the scenery.
Spending a hour+ looking over the fabulous art displays in the Disney Gallery and Opera House.
Riding the horse-drawn street cars on Main Street.
Many more such enjoyable experiences.

It's like the old saying goes - " Sometimes it's the little things in life that end up being the big things.."
Disneyland is just bursting at the berms with such 'little things'!
It is what makes that Park so charming and special.

The thing about DLR is, it's not all about just the 'rides'.
It's about the overall atmosphere.
Even with so many Attractions closed, you can still have a terrific time and come away feeling you are getting your monies worth.

I am also based on the East Coast. I know how pricey airfare can get to the West.
Closures do not stop me from visiting.
Going back again at the end of April this year regardless of what might be closed.
Really looking forward to new things to discover because of it.

:)

Last edited:

cjk0318

Matterhorn
Splash Mountain
Winnie The Pooh
It's A Small World
Disneyland Railroad
Peter Pan's Flight
Soarin'
Grizzly River Run

I'm sorry that prep work for the 60th isn't good enough for you.

alissafalco

The problem isn't just the $750 in penalty fees. It's the increased airfare. We got a really good deal in April, which is why I booked it. It would be at least another $1,500 round trip for the 5 of us to go in the summer.
pay the $1500 and go in the summer, if its a once in a life time trip, just do it!!!

Reade's Dad

We are also booked for the last week of April, of course we are disappointed that the 60th celebration will have not begun, but this will be our 3rd trip during the last week of April and we have yet to be disappointed by refurb closures. Or even Santa Ana wind closures....Disney is Disney not matter what...it's always a gift to be able to go!
And changing travel dates is not an option, we have to go when work/school allows....it be nice thought to live closer!

Last edited:

squidward

Original Poster
I don't think it's ridiculous. It's a big celebration and the rides should be in tip top shape.

Not the idea of a 60th celebration. The comment that I think Disney doing it isn't good enough. It's great that they're doing it. It just sucks that they're doing so much at one time. For some people, DL is a once in a lifetime trip. I don't have the money to change things as much as I would have to.

Vegas Disney Fan

Not the idea of a 60th celebration. The comment that I think Disney doing it isn't good enough. It's great that they're doing it. It just sucks that they're doing so much at one time. For some people, DL is a once in a lifetime trip. I don't have the money to change things as much as I would have to.

I understand being disappointed at ride closures but the reality is 3 rides being down during the off season (in April the only things closed are Soarin, Peter Pan, and the Matterhorn) really isn't bad! You're really limiting your vacation to peak season because you'll rarely see fewer than 3 rides down during the off season.

Disneyland and California Adventure have 57 attractions, 2 spectaculars, a nightly fireworks show, and 3 parades and they try to do as much maintenance as possible in the off season when it will impact the least visitors, in the big picture 3 rides down during off season is nothing.

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Then may I suggest that you take your trip and enjoy all the other attractions that Disneyland has to offer.

Make the best of it and remember all those people who aren't fortunate enough to have the money, health and time to take such a trip. Count your blessings and have a good time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom