A Spirited Perfect Ten

Tony Perkis

No, not really. Tron was a bust (and lousy as well). Oz barely eked out a profit. Narnia's rights were sold off if that tells you anything. Alice was a big hit, which is why we are getting another. Malificent was also a hit and did better than the studio forecast.

Your comment on Eisner is largely true with the HUGE exception of The Pirates franchise. He greenlighted the first three films in that series.

Fair enough. I remember rumors about Disney close to green lighting Tron 3 shortly after the sequel's Blu-Ray release, as the film eventually eeked out a small profit (according to sources cited in those articles).

The first Narnia made $750 million worldwide, so Disney and Iger should have been able to leverage that film into a viable franchise (though not at $180 million a pop, it seems). Though in fairness to Disney, nobody really cares about the series outside of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just hate Apple on principle. They could afford to give EVERY American alive today $556. That is improvising. And they created the best tracking device in the history of mankind and made them so they are obsolete every 18 months and people go and buy new ones. Amazing ... But I really don't want to get off on that tangent.

I still have yet to purchase one of their products and I live just fine.

Yes it's easy to hate Apple and it's becoming easier as their products are increasingly 'locked down', But Apple has one very Walt (the man) like quality,

They create products that most people did not even KNOW they wanted, Just like Disneyland in the 1950's. And they made the 'Star Trek' PADD a reality a rugged portable data display and storage device, Just like Motorola made the communicator a reality with it's StarTac line of phones.

As to buying a new one every 18 months, I refuse to get on that bandwagon, I'm still using the 4s that replaced my Blackberry Bold and will until Apple stops patching iOS for it.

Mike S

"Mermaid" to "Kitkats" isn't nearly as interesting as autocorrect changing "Animal Kingdom" to "**** Kingdom" as happened to Mr. Famously Eccentric Imagineer.

Who knew autocorrect could be responsible for Freudian slips?!

Edit: Had a feeling that might not get past the language filter.
image.jpg

;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Jailbreak.

When used in a corporate context that option is not available. which is why Apple devices are becoming easier to hate especially if you need diagnostic data that Apple has decided you cannot be trusted with.

P2P airplay also raises H--- in a corporate context as it takes away 2 wifi channels from other devices unless you go through all kinds of gyrations to disable it everywhere.

Tony Perkis

When used in a corporate context that option is not available. which is why Apple devices are becoming easier to hate especially if you need diagnostic data that Apple has decided you cannot be trusted with.
I was speaking from the context of personal use.

Just like being unable to jailbreak an Apple device, you can't flash and install a custom rom on an Android device within a corporate context.

I'd rather be stuck in Apple's ecosystem than stuck using Samsung's Touchwiz.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was speaking from the context of personal use.

Just like being unable to jailbreak an Apple device, you can't flash and install a custom rom on an Android device within a corporate context.

I'd rather be stuck in Apple's ecosystem than stuck using Samsung's Touchwiz.

You have a point there...

Cesar R M

Is this really something new though?

Are the older princesses drastically different from each other? I could probably do the same with most of the older princesses.

I mean to me, Anna looks like a dark haired Rapunzel....
The issue started actually with Rapunzel actually.

Other princesses back there had distinctions and special features.
They now look like "cookie cutter".

Cesar R M

Which do you think will actually happen and cause an actual change in direction?

A) another 'blair witch' string of films happens making studios drool over crazy profits with low budget films
B) a major studio folds w/o a buyout after a string of failures
C) industry shifts drive studios into consolidation and they slowly die fighting for a shrinking pie?

Item A I don't think would cause a long term shift.. just a fad and they'd go back to their crazy films soon enough. Item B I wonder if it would actually get that far and take some big names down with it.. or is the network of production companies and talent so nebulous that there is nothing of substance to go down except for some executives who would just reform under something else. Or Item C... the movie market eventually goes into decline because of imploding forces.

With production being so much contract work.. I'm not sure exactly where things would break down. At the end all I can think of is... will the bankrolls dry up on the funding?
The blair witch actually inspired a whole bunch of movies... not just terror wise.. but these "footage found" type movies.

Also paved the way to other "big hits" like paranormal activity.

Cesar R M

But it SHOULD be, Why the H--- could not ABC make this a show about the good guys WIN instead of going into darker and darker subplots and finally back to 1930's Germany. I happen to like Phil Coulson's character a badass in a suit no less with a slightly modified classic car.
After watching the series.. I honestly think Phil is the only decent character in the series.. the others are so bland and generic that they are not entertaining. Plus bad acting on the younger "team" members.

Tony Perkis

After watching the series.. I honestly think Phil is the only decent character in the series.. the others are so bland and generic that they are not entertaining. Plus bad acting on the younger "team" members.
The show exists due to financial/commercial interest, not because Iger truly believes there's a good story to be told here. It was basically willed into existent due to the box office grosses of the Marvel films and, ultimately, The Avengers.

BrerJon

How bout Marvel removal at IOA because a new third gate at UNI would be all Marvel. Completely crazy talk.

If Uni does remove Marvel from IoA I want them to wait until Disney has finished it's sans-Marvel DHS redo, then Uni can troll them big time, 'oh that old thing? Yeah we didn't want it anyway. Guess you're gonna have to spend even more money, Dis!'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom